• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
well in ten years never seen one,i did find 2 pool cues today worth around $250 each as well and a Gotlobb Faber painting from 1860 worth close to a grand as well.

How do you know when this stuff is worth it?

I probably would have picked up the roland if it was cheap just to play with (and then googled and been like
drool.gif
)

others stuff I would never know

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies for my ignorance but what is so great about the Roland? Is this like finding a Kiton suit?

Cheers

hyakku

Reaction score
Found a pair of Johnston and Murphy's black oxford cap toes, gorgeous condition with shoebags the other day for $11. Also a shirt / hoodie thing that's awesome. Been a pretty eventful week haven't done much else between mid terms and rl things, hoping to make some finds today.

Edit: Also left another pair of Ferragamo's that fit me, black loafers, think I'm going back to get them though, with some polish and shoe trees they'll look brand new, just didn't wanna spend $25 but at the same time a pair of loafers to wear with dark washes would be tight and I like ferragamo's rubber soles because a majority of my time isn't spent in an office like many so I walk on concrete.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Apologies for my ignorance but what is so great about the Roland? Is this like finding a Kiton suit?

Cheers

Reading comprehension fail

what is not great about finding something at a thrift store...that turns out to be very rare and collectable and is selling for several thousand dollars on ebay (and you found it with the original box)

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
Nataku i know you like audio stuff so this one is for you,today i found the audiophile eqivalent of finding a Rolex.
a new condition complete with box and case (the case alone is around $150) 1980s ROLAND
TB-303 Bass Line synthesizer.only 10 000 units were ever made from 1982-84,retailed $400 in '82 and are highly collectible and still used today by producers and artists inlcuding moby,daft punk and fatboy slim.
right now there are only 3 on ebay in used condition without case and box for $2000-$2500.

I remember when those came out,I think the first one I saw was in 1980.I think the music store I was working at sold them for $350.There are lots of mods that can be done to them too.Here's a pic of a devilfish modded unit.Speaking of Roland,I'm looking for a cheap GT-8 if someone happens to come across one.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja

Cheers

well roland itself is pretty valuable but this is extremely rare.look at it this way you can buy a harley davidson anytime but try finding a 1937 knucklehead...in a barn for twenty bucks.
i have found kiton suits three times already and i know i will again.i know i will never find this again so its more of an accomplishment for me

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

I see. Well, congrats on the find, Frenchy.

CHeers

durstgt

Reaction score
I finally have my first real decent score! It's probably not epic like some here, and certainly not as unique as the TB-303 (which I was obsessed with from about 1996-2002, congrats frenchy) but I'm pretty happy with it.

There's a pretty nice resale and consignment store near my office that I've been popping into occasionally on lunch breaks for about a year now, but all the really good stuff hasn't been my size. The prices aren't astonishing (I've seen a Kiton suit there for $300ish) but everything is in good shape and is very fairly priced (Brioni or equivalent ties for $30ish). I recently lost some weight and was in the market for a new sportcoat or two, but as a grad student my budget is limited (definitely not a big timer here). I decided to head in to check it out yesterday and found a bunch of stuff in my size that was great!

I ended up with a nice herringbone Zegna mainline sportcoat that I assume is unworn (the label on the sleeve was removed, but all pockets were still stitched shut and the NM price tag was still attached). Original price - $1295, I paid $70. Also, I picked up a Nervesa windowpane sportcoat which I knew nothing about, and the owner said she didn't really know anything about it either but the construction felt nice. Since I'd been coming in so long she gave it to me for $60. I used an Ike Behar dress shirt that was $15 to try the jackets on, which I liked, so I ended up with that too. Pretty nice stuff for a student!

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Big score today - I'll give details later but about 20 ties with the gem being a mint Brioni. Also left a pair of black AE Coles that had a decent amount of wear on the top sides (around the opening of the shoe, whatever that area is called) but the rest was pretty clean. Size 11.5 if anyone is interested...

EBTX66

Reaction score
The local men's consignment store is having their x2 yearly 50% off clearance items sale today. They are normally way too over-priced but a few things slip through the cracks occasionally. These prices are closer to eBay than a thrift store but I'm paid up on tuition and the closet cleaning via eBay is going pretty good so I decided to splurge - and at least I got to try them on first as opposed to the 'bay.

Kiton suit - 3/2, side-vent, FF pants, surgeon's cuffs, fits like it was tailored for me. It is also freshly dry-cleaned so I'm breaking it out this Sunday - $250
Brioni sportcoat - 2B, side-vent, surgeon's cuffs, silk/wool - it must be from the same guy because it also fits perfectly - $150
Oxxford suit - 3/2, side-vents, super 150's- $180
BB Golden Fleece - recent tags - 2B, center-vent suit - $75
Icotex gray flannels - $24
John Varvatos FF light-weight tweed slacks - $24
Ties for $3 each: Zegna, 2 Charvets, Brioni, Missoni, and a Kiton. I saw the ties on a separate clearance rack and was only half-way looking (I must have 100+ ties) until I hit that first Charvet. Then that rack had my undivided attention!

Now I just have to figure out a way to get it all in the house without my wife killing me...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That roland makes me want to break out reason/rebirth/whatever that software was that I used in the early 2000s

EDIT: I just looked up that software again...and oh snap! they have a version of rebirth for the ipad. I don't plan to buy an ipad, but if I did, that would be probably turn into me grabbing a beer and sitting on the couch with it plugged into the stereo for a few hours.

EDIT2: I didn't realize that rebirth's synth device of choice *IS* the one you found at the shop. That thing can make some pretty cool **** (at least the simulated one I have played with)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads