The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

No dice at the thrift today. Among the rejects: Oxxford necktie that was beat, HSM Gold Trumpeter overcoat (too worn) and two pairs of AE: Norse and Canton, in decent shape but not my size.[​IMG]

The Thrift Gods have their way of tantalizing us.[​IMG]

2. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

[​IMG] If you look at my avatar, you'll see why!!!

3. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

No dice at the thrift today. Among the rejects: Oxxford necktie that was beat, HSM Gold Trumpeter overcoat (too worn) and two pairs of AE: Norse and Canton, in decent shape but not my size.[​IMG]

If you like HSM Gold, I see those all of the time here in LA. Let me know and I'll proxy.

Cheers

4. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

Not saying about him personally, but I spent years as a picker and still do it a little and most don't know much, they take educated guesses. I don't spend much without confirmation, that's where the Blackberry comes in. Last week I got a binocular microscope form the VA hospital for $9 at a yard sale. Do I know anything about microscopes? No, I do know however that hospital microscopes are high quality and cost a lot more than $9. New it was $1,800, I got $500 for it.

i think i know what you were trying to say with the educated guess analogy but i never agreed with that because to me its an oxymoron...either you are educated on it or taking a guess.
    what i think you were trying to say is that its more of an intuition,and it comes down to one thing,something that Nataku just touched on:QUALITY
    if you see something that is well made,you know odds are you cant lose.
    Im 36 years old been thrifting 15 years and 10 almost full time, I HAVE NEVER LOST MONEY ON ANYTHING I HAVE BOUGHT.yes something didnt sell,so i kept them because they were well made and usefull.worst case scenario i broke even once
    I watch a lot of History stuff plus the pawn stars/restoration/picker shows etc etc so you pick up some knowledge here and there plus i absorb everything (my friends call me "the sponge")
    and yes of course googling something helps,but thats a recent innovation.
    i dont claim to know everything but i know some things.
    it comes down to quality.
    You know the name Tiffany and you might recognize it when you see it on a lamp,but if you see a different one thats stainless steel and funky chances are its a good one
    thats what happenned when i bought a Sonneberg lamp,didnt know about it but i knew it was quality and bought it,guess what they retail 300-600.
    now i know and so do you.
    same goes for coffetables or other furniture like chairs etc,if you see something from the 50's or 60's and its solid wood,buy it...people collect that shit.i have never had so many calls as for vintage furniture from old grannys to yuppies to hipsters to gay men (anything Loft like)
    and this applies to anything,clothes etc etc,if you see a snowboard made in italy YOU KNOW ITS A GOOD ONE.
    i dont have to look it up or guess,education through experience and common sense will tell you its good to go.
    speaking of education heres a heads up,a buddy of mine from vancouver just reminded me to always check for vintage Levis stuff (the ones with the big "E" as in LEVIS) he sold a jean jacket to a guy from japan for $1300,yes $1300 they love that shit.
    so you learn something every day

5. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

speaking of education heres a heads up,a buddy of mine from vancouver just reminded me to always check for vintage Levis stuff (the ones with the big "E" as in LEVIS) he sold a jean jacket to a guy from japan for $1300,yes $1300 they love that shit.
    so you learn something every day

Sorry. Could you explain the big levis thing again? I did see a LEVIS jacket a few weeks ago but I thought every Levi's apparel had LEVIS, no?

6. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

snagged a MINT charcoal 85% wool 15% cashmere peaked lapel double breasted top coat. It's made in Italy by Bruno Piattelli for Barney's. Of course its to small for me at a 40R, but i figured it was a good buy anyways since i should be able to sell it and buy a couple things for me, or trade it off on here. Anyone familiar with this brand? Also whats it worth, just want to make sure i didn't pay too much.

7. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

My Zegna shirt I found (pics a few pages back) fits like a freaking glove. One of the nicest shirts I've put on. This is a turning point - I now know what a quality made shirt looks and feels like. When I came across it on the rack, it was massively different. It is great.

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Sorry. Could you explain the big levis thing again? I did see a LEVIS jacket a few weeks ago but I thought every Levi's apparel had LEVIS, no?
    Pre 1970 (I think) Levis had their name written in all capitol letters on the little red tab on the back pockets. This is referred to the "Big E" tag. After this, Levis only capitalized the L. The "Big E" stuff is highly collectible. Keep your eyes peeled for it. Big E [​IMG] Newer Levis: [​IMG]

9. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Pre 1970 (I think) Levis had their name written in all capitol letters on the little red tab on the back pockets. This is referred to the "Big E" tag. After this, Levis only capitalized the L. The "Big E" stuff is highly collectible. Keep your eyes peeled for it. Big E [​IMG] Newer Levis: [​IMG]
    redlines are worth grabbing too. http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/10119

10. mainy

mainy Senior member

ughhh
    had to pass on a scratch and dent (still in real nice shape) ekornes stressless sofa today, $400, because it was slightly too big for the space i have for it.

basically my dream sofa, ridiculously comfortable and retail for $3k+ [​IMG]

11. versusone

versusone New Member

Nataku, nice speakers...

12. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

Nataku, nice speakers...

Nataku,nice drapes...

13. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Nataku,nice drapes...

LMAO!

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Nataku,nice drapes...
    [​IMG] I knew that one was coming! Surprised nobody commented on them in the "Photos of your audio gear" thread! Those are the wife's doing. They need to burn, IMO.

15. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

[​IMG]

I knew that one was coming! Surprised nobody commented on them in the "Photos of your audio gear" thread! Those are the wife's doing. They need to burn, IMO.

we believe you, Nat. We really do . . . [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.