• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Awesome. NOS stuff is the best. I love the fit of the late 70's/early 80's 501s. Some say that the fit hasn't changed any, but wearing a current pair and an older pair, you can tell there has been some change.

What does NOS mean?

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Browsing back pages out of boredom as a memory refresher. Do you guys think anyone on this board ever beat the Tony Lumpkin's brand new with shoe trees John Lobb find for 2 bucks? In a single purchase I mean.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Someone found 2 NWT Kiton suits!!!!

No one will ever beat that

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Awesome. NOS stuff is the best. I love the fit of the late 70's/early 80's 501s. Some say that the fit hasn't changed any, but wearing a current pair and an older pair, you can tell there has been some change.

I really, really wish these fit me, but I am kind of an overgrown sasquatch, so these pairs will head to ebay and hopefully fund some future thrifting adventures.

Not only is the fit different, but the denim is obviously much higher quality even 20-30 years ago than it is now. Granted, it's stiff as a board when you first put them on, but it holds color waaaay better than the new stuff and you can get some of the most delicious hige you've ever seen with them.

mco543

Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
Browsing back pages out of boredom as a memory refresher. Do you guys think anyone on this board ever beat the Tony Lumpkin's brand new with shoe trees John Lobb find for 2 bucks? In a single purchase I mean.

A while ago someone I believe scored numerous Brioni suits and jackets at a church rummage sale

gdwy89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mco543
A while ago someone I believe scored numerous Brioni suits and jackets at a church rummage sale

If I remember correctly, that was Nataku. In the depths of this thread (I'm not quite sure which pages) there is a "Top Thrift finds" list. Actually, there are about three of them within a couple pages of one another. I'm rather partial to a vicuna coat idfnl found, mainly for the absurdity of a 100% vicuna coat in a thrift store.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside

how about a $3700 NWT cashmere Loro Piana SC for $7? (canadian no less so thats like $6.95 US)
teacha.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdwy89
If I remember correctly, that was Nataku. In the depths of this thread (I'm not quite sure which pages) there is a "Top Thrift finds" list. Actually, there are about three of them within a couple pages of one another. I'm rather partial to a vicuna coat idfnl found, mainly for the absurdity of a 100% vicuna coat in a thrift store.

Hey, somebody REALLY needed a tax break to get the books appropriately cooked.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not clothing but someone also posted a 15K painting for 15 bucks few weeks ago that I forgot. Since we never had a pic, that remains mythical though
sarcasm.gif

Larson McCord

Reaction score
I found my first Kiton jacket; tore the place up looking for the pants but no dice. It's freakin beautiful. Mid gray I think it's a US 44 but I need to measure to be sure, flawless shape.

Also a burberry (not burberry's) Gray birdseye coat that I'm keeping and I had a hole in my wardrobe for a solid blue suit of all things. I never see solid blue that isn't Cricketeer or Stafford or my size. Found a Polo Ralph Lauren made in Italy (Corneliani?) that fits me like a glove! Had to take the trousers in some but otherwise perfect. Great soft shoulders on it.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mistermidwester
I really, really wish these fit me, but I am kind of an overgrown sasquatch, so these pairs will head to ebay and hopefully fund some future thrifting adventures.

This is the problem I run into most, being a 44 R and about 6'1. People were smaller in those days and most cool stuff I run into is about a 38-40R or a Small/Medium, which in todays sizing would be an extra small/small as even sizing ran smaller back then!

Originally Posted by gdwy89
If I remember correctly, that was Nataku.

bigstar[1].gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
I found my first Kiton jacket; tore the place up looking for the pants but no dice. It's freakin beautiful. Mid gray I think it's a US 44 but I need to measure to be sure, flawless shape.

Also a burberry (not burberry's) Gray birdseye coat that I'm keeping and I had a hole in my wardrobe for a solid blue suit of all things. I never see solid blue that isn't Cricketeer or Stafford or my size. Found a Polo Ralph Lauren made in Italy (Corneliani?) that fits me like a glove! Had to take the trousers in some but otherwise perfect. Great soft shoulders on it.

I've never tried on a Brioni or a Kiton but I realized the suit that fits me the best is from Ralph Lauren. Perfect. I do have a Corneleani that fits me well although I just notice there is a small divot on my left shoulder. I'm going to see if I can fix this from my tailor.

Cheers

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got up early and hit some thrift stores. I've gotta say, I'm about fed up with Minnesota roads. You swerve to miss two potholes, you hit 5 bigger ones. Hit one comming home that was so big it caused my domelight to come on for a brief second. After that, my power steering started to whine. Great...
baldy[1].gif
Anyway, the day wasn't a total loss. Found some interesting items. - Brown velvet peak label blazer from Carole Bruns, a local up-and-coming designer. Tons of handwork.Fits me like a glove, though I may need to let the sleeves out a hair. Did a search and it looks like she also designed outfits for Prince. Enough said! http://www.carolebruns.com/ - A pair of flat front gray textured tonal stripe trousers in what feels like a linen/wool blend from a familiar HK tailor. I pass on HK stuff, but I've heard great stuff about Chan, so I had to grab these. That, plus this is the first Chan piece I've come across. - Some interesting LPs. Usually I pass on the Asian stuff like this in flimsy cardboard covers (pretty sure these are Chinese), but how could I pass up Hendrix and George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" for $1-$2 each. I'm not happy about the stickers on the shrink-wrap, though. Also found a copy of Master Pieces by Apollo 100. The only LP I've come across from them (and quite often, I might add) is their "Joy" LP from 1970, which I have a couple copies of already.
DSC05470.jpg
DSC05471.jpg
DSC05474.jpg
DSC05475.jpg

rx330

Reaction score
I recently found two beautiful Loro Piana 100% Cotton Casual Pants in superb condition and made in Italy. One is a tan/khaki color, while the other is brown. Both are tagged 36W, but measure more closely to 34.5-35.5 inch waist. The inseam on both pants measures approximately 31 inches. These will be going up in the buy and sell shortly.

Tan/Khaki:
dsc01101ea.jpg

dsc01107d.jpg

dsc01106os.jpg

Brown:
dsc01109a.jpg

dsc01112g.jpg

dsc01111k.jpg
b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads