The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Found a Brioni Sportscoat , Silk Cashmere in perfect nick with nice high lapels in a blue check pattern, though it had no vents, Size 44 or 46, should i have picked it up to flip?

They wanted $40 for it.

There were a few more i.e. zegna and Armani of the same calibre and condition too.

Thoughts?

I would buy an unvented Brioni but not many others on the Forum would. You could sell it on eBay; my guess is it would bring in at least $100.

2. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

If you go there again, you can proxy the 9.5 shell for me. Never leave a shell longwing on rack, it will fit one of us.

Don't want to snipe but I already pm'd him last night :p

3. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Had come across a PLRL black pinstripe suit jacket a couple weeks back which I left behind coming up empty in finding the pants. Went back a couple days ago and the jacket is still there. Figured I'd take another look around the store to locate the pants....found them in the one spot I hadn't checked last time....Maternity section. Needless to say it didn't get left behind. Also found my first Chipp in the wild. Both are destined for another home as the PLRL is way too big at 44L and the Chipp while in my size at a 40 is unfortunately a 40S.

Also came across about 15 MTM suits from Paul Stuart all from the same gentleman, probably around a 44S. Beautiful stuff with working cuff buttons but knew I would hear it from the wife if I came home with 15 suits that would need to be resold.

4. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

Today I picked up a Stanley Blacker blue blazer with gold buttons that still had the tags sewn onto the left arm. I also found a Canali long sleeve polo shirt and a dark grey wool suit. The pants dont fit but the jacket is great so Ill probably wear that on its own.

5. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

. . . $155 total for 2 sweaters?

6. catside

catside Senior member

Also came across about 15 MTM suits from Paul Stuart all from the same gentleman, probably around a 44S. Beautiful stuff with working cuff buttons but knew I would hear it from the wife if I came home with 15 suits that would need to be resold.

Paul Stuart does not have much of a second hand market, although they are most likely Samuelsohn and very high quality. Only buy to wear.

7. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Found a brand new tan RL Polo camel hair blazer in 44r, pair of samuelsohn slacks, couple orvis plaid shirts, and another vintage pendleton shirt.

blazer isnt my size, but i bought it to try to trade for something in my size

Im a 46r, 40x30, 17x34, 12-13d if anyone wants to trade.

8. Hendrix23

Hendrix23 Active Member

Could someone help me figure out what type of shoes these are that I thrifted. I can't really read the name on the bottom.

[​IMG]

9. juvefan

juvefan Senior member

i was in exactly the same situation and found a blue one of those last spring. made by summer.
    this doesn't exactly qualify as a steal: but while my wife was making a rite-aid stop, i dropped into the marshall's next door and they were clearing out cashmere ... nothing spectacular brand-wise (something called Allen Solly), but what seemed to be solidly made, utilitarian quarter-zip and v-necks for $20 to $25.

In Canada, those solly sweaters were on clearance at winners for 60-85 buck. What a rip off[​IMG]

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

. . . $155 total for 2 sweaters?

Yeah, nothing special about that at all. That's pretty close to retail. I come across the mesh polos daily at $2-$5 a pop.

11. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Here's an odd question

I've been battling the cold for literally over a month. It's been more of a head cold then turned into a cough but more of a sinus/head cold. Anyway. There have been two instances in which I was about to be 100% better. But on those two days I went to thrift and I felt worse either later that evening or def. the next day. Meaning, the symptoms came back. Have any of you experienced this? After each place I visit, I always use hand sanitizer b/c . . . it's pretty dirty in there.

So, I've decided to 1. not thrift as much and 2. def. not for awhile until my b-school apps are in (due in april).

Am I the only one or am I not thinking clearly?

Cheers

12. diamonds

diamonds Senior member

Could someone help me figure out what type of shoes these are that I thrifted. I can't really read the name on the bottom. [​IMG]
    it says 'vero cuoio' .. just means it's made of leather (the sole) and those icons show that the rest of the shoe is made of leather as well (the little hide icons)

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    In Canada, those solly sweaters were on clearance at winners for 60-85 buck. What a rip off[​IMG]

"original" marshall's price on these was $50 to $60, which seems fair to me. $20 to $25 was just crazy.

14. Hendrix23

Hendrix23 Active Member

it says 'vero cuoio' .. just means it's made of leather (the sole) and those icons show that the rest of the shoe is made of leather as well (the little hide icons)

thank you

15. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

Today:

Pal Zileri shirt
    Etro shirt

I came across some ties I liked and picked them up, I don't recognize any of the labels though. Belotti, Carlo Colombo for Tie Rack, and Tom's Place (which I found out was a small shop in Toronto).

Also came across a Lanvin SC, but it looked like one of the old labels so I passed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.