The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

Passed on a pair of lightly worn and creased Church's bench grade black captoes for 28.99. They're scuffed a bit, but nothing unpolishable, although there was what looked like a tiny imperfection under the front lip of the toe on one.

They fit really well, and I liked them quite a bit, but I generally have a no more than $20 rule at Goodwills. The worker put them in the "we think these are nice shoes" window, with only an hour left before closing, so they'll probably still be there in the morning.

Should I go back and get them in the morning?

2. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

Passed on a pair of lightly worn and creased Church's bench grade black captoes for 28.99. They're scuffed a bit, but nothing unpolishable, although there was what looked like a tiny imperfection under the front lip of the toe on one.

They fit really well, and I liked them quite a bit, but I generally have a no more than $20 rule at Goodwills. The worker put them in the "we think these are nice shoes" window, with only an hour left before closing, so they'll probably still be there in the morning.

YES are you joking? Church's in Australia are 1000-1500 retail, 30 dollars in less than an hours work for gods sake! good will or no goodwill.

My general rule for goodwill, or oppy's is that if somebody you knew were selling it to you what would you buy it off them for?

I once paid 25 dollars for a tie at an opp shop!

3. catside

catside Senior member

^^If they fit, 30 is good for Church's.

4. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

if you dont want them and they are a 12 or 13 ill take them

5. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Does anyone know the diff lines for Zegna? I've seen "soft", "trofeo", and a few others.

Thank you,

CHeers

6. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

I just purchased a pair of Church's Custom Grade captoe shoes at a local thrift shop. Some scuffs, similar to what the poster above mentions. Fit great and look nice. I may like them better than my AE PA's.

7. catside

catside Senior member

I just purchased a pair of Church's Custom Grade captoe shoes at a local thrift shop. Some scuffs, similar to what the poster above mentions. Fit great and look nice. I may like them better than my AE PA's.

They are better than AEs. Period. I am wearing a wingtip right now. Thrifted and went to cobbler etc. Total cost 65 and money well spent I may say.

8. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

I think I may have seen a pair of church's out, I may check them out if given the chance.

Picked up a navy blue Canali Proposta jacket, NWOT condition (I mean mint) this morning, too big for me, grabbed it to trade up here (keep forgetting I have another two weeks before I can use B & S), will put pictures up later. I believe its a 52 R (although, someone tell me, with Italian suits, do they size an additional 10 on our labels, because I'm finding it hard to believe this is a 52 R instead of a 42R as it's big on me, but the shoulders aren't THAT big).

Edit: Thanks orge, thought so.

In that case its a 42R.

9. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I think I may have seen a pair of church's out, I may check them out if given the chance.

Picked up a navy blue Canali Proposta jacket, NWOT condition (I mean mint) this morning, too big for me, grabbed it to trade up here (keep forgetting I have another two weeks before I can use B & S), will put pictures up later. I believe its a 52 R (although, someone tell me, with Italian suits, do they size an additional 10 on our labels, because I'm finding it hard to believe this is a 52 R instead of a 42R as it's big on me, but the shoulders aren't THAT big).

Correct - Euro sizing is +10 to US sizing (+12 once you get above about 44R).

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Well, you got about as highly priced a fused suit as you can find. Trouble is, it's still fused.

Hugo Boss's construction is utter crap for the price. If it fits you, $10 is a nice deal, but it ain't exactly a jackpot. A jackpot is fully canvassed, nice fabric, and fits for $10. Think finding a kiton suit in your size.

About this time last year i picked up a NWT Hugo Boss suit for $40 and sold it on E-Bay for $250 iirc. I'll take that all day.

11. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

I've been a little down with the recent finds lately, but ran into the GW close to my office. Found a Zegna french cuff NWOT for $2.75. Perfect looking shirt!

Also, not sure if this is a local or bigger thing, but the local GW's all have modified hours so all 6 or 7 local stores are open the same time and they also reduced prices by about 15 to 20 percent, depending on the item category.

12. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I've been a little down with the recent finds lately, but ran into the GW close to my office. Found a Zegna french cuff NWOT for $2.75. Perfect looking shirt!

Also, not sure if this is a local or bigger thing, but the local GW's all have modified hours so all 6 or 7 local stores are open the same time and they also reduced prices by about 15 to 20 percent, depending on the item category.

What size and color is the zegna? I'm trying to load up on stapes (solid whites and blues)

13. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

Found two pairs of NOS Levi's (1 pair of 501s and one pair of Saddlemans jeans) from 1981 tonight at an out-of-the-way shop.

The denim on these things is DARK and CRISPY.

14. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

What size and color is the zegna? I'm trying to load up on stapes (solid whites and blues)

I've got to run out real quick, but I'll shoot a picture when I get back. It's a light yellow with small square type patterns. Pretty neat, but not a staple color.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found two pairs of NOS Levi's (1 pair of 501s and one pair of Saddlemans jeans) from 1981 tonight at an out-of-the-way shop. The denim on these things is DARK and CRISPY.
    Awesome. NOS stuff is the best. I love the fit of the late 70's/early 80's 501s. Some say that the fit hasn't changed any, but wearing a current pair and an older pair, you can tell there has been some change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.