• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

smah

Reaction score
I'm curious how the boots are holding up.
Let us know...just got a pair from CCS
worship2.gif
...wore 'em around the house, already broken in.
Gorgeous boot.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
My thanks go out to Cranes for his review of these boots. I just received a pair from my wife today for my birthday, and are my first pair of shell cordovan shoes/boots. I'm traditionally not a fan, at all, of shell, but these, being a surprise from my wife, are definitely an exception. I am definitely happy with the quality, especially considering that I had my heart set on a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers over 1000 Miles beforehand. My feelings before were my observations of the difference in leather quality and the overall construction, but these special editions have channeled soles, which to my recollection are not present on the regular 1000 Miles. These boots were worn all day and felt like I've had them for five years! My wife especially enjoyed the dichotomy of Crane's masculine, utilitarian review and the other reviews which she called out as effeminate nit-pickers.
laugh.gif

LOL. They're boots, and these boots are made for walkin'. That's a song isn't it? Wear them well in any case.
Originally Posted by kitonotik
Im about to pull the trigger on these boots, but the pair that I am looking at seems to be opaque at best and doesnt luster as nicely as the boots you have here. Saw them at the Allen Edmonds store and while the floor sample lusters beautifully, the models in the boxes seem to be dull. If I do buy these boots, what are the recommended steps to get luster out of the leather? Apologies if this has been discussed answered already.
Well once the oils/waxes from the tanning process stops seeping from the leather they'll shine up with a bit of wax. Of course once that happens I tend to re apply snoseal since I care more about keeping them waterproof versus having them spit shined.
Originally Posted by smah
I'm curious how the boots are holding up. Let us know...just got a pair from CCS
worship2.gif
...wore 'em around the house, already broken in. Gorgeous boot.

They are holding up just fine. i tend to wear them 4 or 5 days in a row and then let them sit for a couple of days with the trees in them. You know that blizzard last week? I wore them shoveling snow for 3 days without having any problems. They did get a little wet on the inside but that was from snow going down the boots and not from seepage. I wore arctic weight wool socks and my feet did not get cold at all. Oh and those Yak Trax thingamijigs are great on ice and slick wet snow. Since my initial Sno Seal job the only thing I've done maintenance wise was brush them once or twice a week. They look great after they are brushed. It's about time to Sno Seal them again since all this cold white stuff is supposed to start melting in a few days. Ahhhhh nothing like the beginning of Missouri's muck season. It's been a while and I suppose I'll take a pic or two of them and let people decide for themselves on how well they are holding up.

kitonotik

Reaction score
Crane's, actually your boots are the reason I asked the question on how to shine them to look that bright cordovan/oxblood/wine color. Yours looked great when new...nice and rich. The ones I got, looked dull, and as you pointed out all the oils are still coming off the leather. As I said, the store sample had very salient coloring as well, but the pair I got just didnt look bright enough. Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendation on the type of cream, color and technique to use to have them acquire that bright cordovan patina? Do I really need to wait until the oils 'dry up'? Thanks in advance!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonotik
Crane's, actually your boots are the reason I asked the question on how to shine them to look that bright cordovan/oxblood/wine color. Yours looked great when new...nice and rich. The ones I got, looked dull, and as you pointed out all the oils are still coming off the leather. As I said, the store sample had very salient coloring as well, but the pair I got just didnt look bright enough. Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendation on the type of cream, color and technique to use to have them acquire that bright cordovan patina? Do I really need to wait until the oils 'dry up'? Thanks in advance!
Before I would try a product on them get out your boot brush and a buffing cloth and have at it for a while.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I decided to take a shot and email Wolverine to see if they'd consider making these in the wide widths. What the hell, right?
Magic 8-ball says "No".

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bl@ster
How do they fit with respect to normal 1000 Mile boots?
Exactly the same. I'm wearing mine today. One of these days I need to update my review with some pics and thoughts so far. One thing I can say is they don't scuff like the Chromexcel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads