• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by carl_muffin
These boots are awesome and are now available in the UK from December!!

Should complement my Original's in Rust!!

smile.gif
smile.gif

Oooh... How much though?

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
If they survive what I put them through then all you city fellas aint got nothing to worry about if you get a pair of these. You won't hurt them and there is no need to baby them at all.

Listen to the man. I wore my pairs from last fall through the spring (4 or 5 days out of the week) including to shovel and play during MD/DC snowpocalypse earlier this year and I started wearing them again this fall. If you treat the leather and polish them once in a while you will have NOTHING to worry about.

illumin8em

Reaction score
Yes I am. This is a continuation of a test that started with a pair of original 1K boots. You can read it here. In that thread I stated that I did not think the sole would survive. That assumption was proved wrong after nearly a year of abuse. Even though the soles are smooth slipping has not been a problem either. The mud around here is hard clay and it gets a layer of peanut butter slop over it. My lugged boots slip just as bad as the 1Ks. The 1Ks don't hold as much mud so I don't have to put up with Frankenstein Boot Syndrome. Snow? We get it but it tends to turn to mirrored ice around here in a day or so. Nothing short of crampons or spikes keep you from busting your ass then. On the rare occasion I actually get to play in snow around here side stepping, heel digs and toe jamming work just fine. Granted, if I was going to actually climb or hike a serious grade I do have boots specifically for that task. All in all these boots are being tested day to day doing what I normally do which is very similar to what someone in 1914 might have done.

If they survive what I put them through then all you city fellas aint got nothing to worry about if you get a pair of these. You won't hurt them and there is no need to baby them at all.

And tomorrow is opening day of deer season. It's pouring right now so it's going to be wet in the AM. The 721 LTDs are going hunting in the morning.

Originally Posted by justtemple
Listen to the man. I wore my pairs from last fall through the spring (4 or 5 days out of the week) including to shovel and play during MD/DC snowpocalypse earlier this year and I started wearing them again this fall. If you treat the leather and polish them once in a while you will have NOTHING to worry about.

put these shoe pansies to bed fellas. for some reason it seams folks cannot differentiate between someone who is worried about the boots macroscopic appearance, and someone who is not and then try and compare their usage to another. For the most part no one is gonna have any trouble with these boots, and Crane's usage exemplifies the 1000 mile sturdiness.

I too can be a shoe pansy from time to time, but only when a shoe/boots is new. After the initial feeling of newness (couple of days) wears off, I free the boot from my pampering grasp.

On a different subject, I just received my third pair, 2nd pair of black 1000 mile boots today, and I noticed a difference from my other pair of black. The leather on my first pair (brown) was soft and supple, the leather of my 2nd pair (black) was sturdy and stout. The leather on the new pair of black is soft and supple like the leather of the first pair (brown). Out of the first two pair I preferred the black pair for the leathers sturdiness, and its ability to take a shine so easily. When I sent them out (to a forum member) I wondered what the pair I would receive next would be more like of the first two pair. I was betting on the black chromexcel just being more sturdy in general, but I was wrong. I think these will be great all the same, but I just thought that it was strange. My first two pair were bought likely within the first run when the were first released so maybe something has changed at Horweens leather from batch to batch (obviously hide to hide).

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illumin8em
put these shoe pansies to bed fellas. for some reason it seams folks cannot differentiate between someone who is worried about the boots macroscopic appearance, and someone who is not and then try and compare their usage to another. For the most part no one is gonna have any trouble with these boots, and Crane's usage exemplifies the 1000 mile sturdiness.

For me personally- it wasn't about the boot- the leather- standing up to his usage...it was the simple fact that the smooth, leather sole is/was - to me- impractical for his intended use.

I am no city boy, lived in Montana for several years...spend a lot of time outdoors, bought a lot of boots...

...and have had the misfortune of wearing smooth leather soled boots at times where I wished I hadn't as they just didn't provide the traction needed- on rocks, snow, mud- gumbo and hardpan...any incline with a wet surface- grass, leaves, mud...smooth soles just ain't practical- in my most humble opinion...Try crossing a creek with wet and moss-covered rocks on smooth soled boots and you will learn the hard way.

call me a cynic- but spending $900 on a pair of smooth soled cordovan boots circa 1914 and claiming you were not motivated by aesthetics just doesn't seem likely.

Don't get me wrong- they are nice looking boots- and I hope he gets years of enjoyment and more power to him if the soles are not a problem...

But when I hunt I wear a pair of Whites packers- just as well made for 1/3 the price- had the same pair for 15yrs...with nice beefy lugs to keep my pansy ass off the ground
smile.gif
and yes, if you take care of your leather it will last...

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What city? I lived most of my life in Chicago. I've seen that interesting bio hazard goo you're talking about around there. My generic name for that stuff is cesspool muck. Pretty nasty stuff.

New York. Luckily the El is aboveground...in NYC (like everywhere else) you-know-what flows downhill...and sits there.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

It's 40 degrees outside, cloudy, soaking wet and the wind is howling. There aint no way I'm sitting in a damn tree 20 feet off the ground. Plan B is in effect now. Going to be stalk hunting the thick stuff in a creek bottom with my trusty old Ruger SA. .357 mag. Time to get up close and personal.

I'm outta here......

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK yesterday just sucked. My 721's performed admirably through hill and dale. To bad there wasn't a friggin deer to be seen.

Fast forward. 6:30 AM today. Me and my buddy show up at the huntin' spot and plan a drive hunt. No sooner than we start 2 doe and one buck haul ass out of a thicket. I hear KA BLAM and spin around to see WTF is going on. I see a doe and a buck out in the middle of the pasture. 160 maybe 170 yards out. Off goes the safety and a 150 grain 308 round is sailing down range. I hear the tell tale sign of a bullet impact and down goes the 7 point buck. YES!

Soooooo now the 721's have been subjected to blood along with more mud. Hmmmm Oxblood is shell #8's official color name I think. Hmmmm deer blood looks the same to me.

Anyway the boots suffered no damage, a wet rag and they cleaned up easily. Sno seal works.

Bye, time for lunch and then back to shootin' deer again.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I went bear hunting yesterday and wrestled an 800 lb. grizzly to the ground. Then I strangled him and ate his still-quivering liver while he watched, spilling a bathtub worth of blood and guts on my shoes.

Just to prove that Snoseal works.

Funksy

Reaction score
Definitely one of the more interesting threads I've read. Looking forward to following this.

And congrats on the buck!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
Well I went bear hunting yesterday and wrestled an 800 lb. grizzly to the ground. Then I strangled him and ate his still-quivering liver while he watched, spilling a bathtub worth of blood and guts on my shoes.

Just to prove that Snoseal works.

Wrong. LOL.

Originally Posted by Funksy
Definitely one of the more interesting threads I've read. Looking forward to following this.

And congrats on the buck!

Thanks!

handsometigers

Reaction score
OK yesterday just sucked. My 721's performed admirably through hill and dale. To bad there wasn't a friggin deer to be seen.

Fast forward. 6:30 AM today. Me and my buddy show up at the huntin' spot and plan a drive hunt. No sooner than we start 2 doe and one buck haul ass out of a thicket. I hear KA BLAM and spin around to see WTF is going on. I see a doe and a buck out in the middle of the pasture. 160 maybe 170 yards out. Off goes the safety and a 150 grain 308 round is sailing down range. I hear the tell tale sign of a bullet impact and down goes the 7 point buck. YES!

Soooooo now the 721's have been subjected to blood along with more mud. Hmmmm Oxblood is shell #8's official color name I think. Hmmmm deer blood looks the same to me.

Anyway the boots suffered no damage, a wet rag and they cleaned up easily. Sno seal works.

Bye, time for lunch and then back to shootin' deer again.

cool-story-bro.jpg

haha, just kidding. sounds like a good time!

carl_muffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
Oooh... How much though?
They will be retailing at £700.00 they have selected 3 retailers to release these boots in the first week in December. You should be able to search Wolverine 721 LTD online and find the retailers offering the boot!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads