• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McMansion or not?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
If it were an exact copy, I'd feel fine or apathetic towards it. If it used any non-natural, 20th century materials different from the original prototype it would be a phony gesture of deception and would incur my wrath. If it was trucked in a flatbed truck and bolted together, it would also incur my wrath.

I wouldn't build an exact copy of a historic building like that because it wouldn't fit my use, but it wouldn't be ethically disagreeable. There is a purpose to prolonging historicism and tradition in architecture in the same way there is within clothing or watchmaking, but it has to be true to the original method of its creation and that specifically means materials. Two hundred years from now, a perfect replica would still age to match the same natural characteristics as the original, so it would still maintain (and gain) value from that expression of age that we're taking delight from looking at it now. A replica that used rubber shingles wouldn't.

You're being dense.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
You're being dense.

I agree and apologize. I keep trying to be as smart as folks like you but nature has failed me
frown.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Nature has not failed you. You have failed nature.
teacha.gif
You need a weekend in the woods to renew your sensory awareness so you can learn what nature is trying to tell you. Pack some sausage and leave your computer behind.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know where to invest my money in. Mericans' a gonna be buying up my awesome english manor model mcmansions big times. I can fit like 15 english manor mcmansions right on that land and rake in da cash.

If it were an exact copy, I'd feel fine or apathetic towards it. If it used any non-natural, 20th century materials different from the original prototype it would be a phony gesture of deception and would incur my wrath. If it was trucked in a flatbed truck and bolted together, it would also incur my wrath.

I wouldn't build an exact copy of a historic building like that because it wouldn't fit my use, but it wouldn't be ethically disagreeable. There is a purpose to prolonging historicism and tradition in architecture in the same way there is within clothing or watchmaking, but it has to be true to the original method of its creation and that specifically means materials. Two hundred years from now, a perfect replica would still age to match the same natural characteristics as the original, so it would still maintain (and gain) value from that expression of age that we're taking delight from looking at it now. A replica that used rubber shingles wouldn't.

You're being dense.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nature has not failed you. You have failed nature.
teacha.gif
You need a weekend in the woods to renew your sensory awareness so you can learn what nature is trying to tell you. Pack some sausage and leave your computer behind.

If I left my computer behind how could you post to me about McMansions?
confused.gif

Also, I don't camp anymore. One too many mornings with fresh snow and frozen coffee in the pot.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Nature and I have the same message.
teacha.gif
You won't need me. Existential reinforcement awaits you.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nature and I have the same message.
teacha.gif
You won't need me. Existential reinforcement awaits you.

I live in a place where nature surrounds me and we're still just sharing the land with the critters. We already went for a nice little hike today.
teacha.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Pio, this is where you must go. Le Thoronet Abbey in Brignoles, France. LeCorbusier called it the genesis of modern architecture. It is the subject of this photoessay book. The guide to man's existence is revealed within.
teacha.gif
bs-9780714840031.jpg
6c9b21795252b400a8cc69f6865e7497.jpg
5062252747_a77a9dcbc5_z.jpg
3731194289_309edc6e41_z.jpg
4402432502_960b747873_z.jpg
4683447262_85fc45158c_z.jpg
4330311945_7e981abd51_z.jpg
4242488675_795243e681_z.jpg
4243254310_cebc2942ac_z.jpg
2951934215_023ee6eed4_z.jpg

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what a luxurious interior looks like in the true sense of the word, which refers to exceptional-ism as opposed to connotations of opulence or extravagance. If you're really rich, you use the finest marble flooring, an acute attention to light, and a bathtub carved from a single block of travertine. There's no need to attempt using gaudy chandeliers and cherub motifs to convey your richness because the exceptional nature of the material is so apparent.

silvestrin_arancia_2a.jpg

All that you have described is based on minimalist principles though, and that is not the only type of design that can be luxurious.

If you use fake/cheap materials in a minimalist design or some more classic design, both will end up being Mcmansions. If you use the best materials and attention to detail, you can end up with luxurious minimalist or classic design based on your preference.

Agnacious

Reaction score
silvestrin_arancia_2a.jpg

Maybe my age is showing but my first thought is that looks like a great place to break your neck or hip.

Plus, it just looks depressing.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
It's entirely lit by daylight. There is no need for artificial light, hence their non-existence. I can't imagine something less depressing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's entirely lit by daylight. There is no need for artificial light, hence their non-existence. I can't imagine something less depressing.

laugh.gif

So, is it 24/7 daylight there or you just don't use the place after dark?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
There has to be a lightbulb in there somewhere. How could humans live without artificial light?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

There has to be a lightbulb in there somewhere. How could humans live without artificial light?

These two statements are mutually exclusive. No, I'm not just playing semantics, I busted you over-pontificating which has sort of been my point.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic, moron. It's as if you forgot that your grandparents were unlikely to have been raised in a house with electric lighting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads