McMansion or not?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Mar 12, 2006.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

If it were an exact copy, I'd feel fine or apathetic towards it. If it used any non-natural, 20th century materials different from the original prototype it would be a phony gesture of deception and would incur my wrath. If it was trucked in a flatbed truck and bolted together, it would also incur my wrath.

I wouldn't build an exact copy of a historic building like that because it wouldn't fit my use, but it wouldn't be ethically disagreeable. There is a purpose to prolonging historicism and tradition in architecture in the same way there is within clothing or watchmaking, but it has to be true to the original method of its creation and that specifically means materials. Two hundred years from now, a perfect replica would still age to match the same natural characteristics as the original, so it would still maintain (and gain) value from that expression of age that we're taking delight from looking at it now. A replica that used rubber shingles wouldn't.

You're being dense.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

You're being dense.

I agree and apologize. I keep trying to be as smart as folks like you but nature has failed me [​IMG]

3. StephenHero

Nature has not failed you. You have failed nature. [​IMG] You need a weekend in the woods to renew your sensory awareness so you can learn what nature is trying to tell you. Pack some sausage and leave your computer behind.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I know where to invest my money in. Mericans' a gonna be buying up my awesome english manor model mcmansions big times. I can fit like 15 english manor mcmansions right on that land and rake in da cash.

If it were an exact copy, I'd feel fine or apathetic towards it. If it used any non-natural, 20th century materials different from the original prototype it would be a phony gesture of deception and would incur my wrath. If it was trucked in a flatbed truck and bolted together, it would also incur my wrath.

I wouldn't build an exact copy of a historic building like that because it wouldn't fit my use, but it wouldn't be ethically disagreeable. There is a purpose to prolonging historicism and tradition in architecture in the same way there is within clothing or watchmaking, but it has to be true to the original method of its creation and that specifically means materials. Two hundred years from now, a perfect replica would still age to match the same natural characteristics as the original, so it would still maintain (and gain) value from that expression of age that we're taking delight from looking at it now. A replica that used rubber shingles wouldn't.

You're being dense.

5. Piobaire

Nature has not failed you. You have failed nature. [​IMG] You need a weekend in the woods to renew your sensory awareness so you can learn what nature is trying to tell you. Pack some sausage and leave your computer behind.

If I left my computer behind how could you post to me about McMansions? [​IMG]

Also, I don't camp anymore. One too many mornings with fresh snow and frozen coffee in the pot.

6. StephenHero

Nature and I have the same message. [​IMG] You won't need me. Existential reinforcement awaits you.

7. Piobaire

Nature and I have the same message. [​IMG] You won't need me. Existential reinforcement awaits you.

I live in a place where nature surrounds me and we're still just sharing the land with the critters. We already went for a nice little hike today. [​IMG]

8. StephenHero

Pio, this is where you must go. Le Thoronet Abbey in Brignoles, France. LeCorbusier called it the genesis of modern architecture. It is the subject of this photoessay book. The guide to man's existence is revealed within. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

This is what a luxurious interior looks like in the true sense of the word, which refers to exceptional-ism as opposed to connotations of opulence or extravagance. If you're really rich, you use the finest marble flooring, an acute attention to light, and a bathtub carved from a single block of travertine. There's no need to attempt using gaudy chandeliers and cherub motifs to convey your richness because the exceptional nature of the material is so apparent.

[​IMG]

All that you have described is based on minimalist principles though, and that is not the only type of design that can be luxurious.

If you use fake/cheap materials in a minimalist design or some more classic design, both will end up being Mcmansions. If you use the best materials and attention to detail, you can end up with luxurious minimalist or classic design based on your preference.

10. Agnacious

Agnacious Senior member

[​IMG]

Maybe my age is showing but my first thought is that looks like a great place to break your neck or hip.

Plus, it just looks depressing.

11. StephenHero

It's entirely lit by daylight. There is no need for artificial light, hence their non-existence. I can't imagine something less depressing.

12. Piobaire

It's entirely lit by daylight. There is no need for artificial light, hence their non-existence. I can't imagine something less depressing.

[​IMG]

So, is it 24/7 daylight there or you just don't use the place after dark?

13. StephenHero

There has to be a lightbulb in there somewhere. How could humans live without artificial light?

14. Piobaire

There has to be a lightbulb in there somewhere. How could humans live without artificial light?

These two statements are mutually exclusive. No, I'm not just playing semantics, I busted you over-pontificating which has sort of been my point.

15. StephenHero

I was being sarcastic, moron. It's as if you forgot that your grandparents were unlikely to have been raised in a house with electric lighting.