• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learning to Cook

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
my issue with cooking is time. it takes time to go to the store, to plan **** out and to cook it. time i'd rather spend dicking around online/watching tv
frown.gif

northing worthwhile is easy

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for you guys who rarely cook, what do you eat every night?

do you eat out, take away or eat those god aweful microwave dinner type things?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There is a Food Network book called 'Making it Easy' that I picked up at that bookstore one day next to the Joyce outlet in Hong Kong... it's a good book if you don't know what you're doing in a kitchen but want to make nice food, I was like 20 when I got that book and it helped me along a bit. All the recipes in it are pretty trusty and cheap and easy to make, and it gives some pointers as well. I think you can pick it up for like a buck on Amazon nowadays.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I joined this about a year and a half ago. Of course the prices have gone up since I joined, but it's been well worth it. I've also gotten lots of good advice from some very accomplished cooks on this board that have been of great help.

Cool site, I watched the tutorial on how to pan fry, and I learned a lot.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about starting with a simple dish that you personally like as a way for you get started with the entire cooking process? There are times I'll eat grilled chicken for a week straight, but one day I'll cook it with tomato paste and veggies, other times it would just be grilled onions and mushrooms, and just a **** load of herbs that I like, etc. Ill accompany it with a salad almost always and/or some rice.

I know that can get boring, but I think it helps develop a routine and prepare you for all aspects of cooking ( prep, cook, eat, clean-up) Once you're committed on the amount of time it will take, then get a book, as others have recommended, and give some recipes a try.

I want to pickup Bittman's book and also try some of the recipes he recommended as his 25 favorite in the last of the Minimalist columns in the NYT.

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
do you veggie prep on like monday night. this way you will have sliced veggies all ready to go for omellettes, snacks, pasta sauces, etc.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
for you guys who rarely cook, what do you eat every night?

I don't often need a big dinner so I'll go out, have something, eat most for lunch the next day. DOn't go to super expensive places so it isn't that much to eat out per meal. Plus considering time spent cooking, cleaning up etc it may even be slightly cheaper. But yea I am also only paying for myself now so it isn't that bad.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ErnestoG.
do you veggie prep on like monday night. this way you will have sliced veggies all ready to go for omellettes, snacks, pasta sauces, etc.
This is probably a reason few people like vegetables.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As to the what you do when you don't cook option...I often eat in the office. There is a client-paid dinner order every night if you are staying late. If you didn't like to cook, this would be a viable option.

Stay late, get free dinner, get paid OT, take free cab home (which takes 15 minutes max vs a 30-45 minute bus or train). You can get home at 7:30 completely fed and with leftovers for lunch. Compare this to leaving at 5:30, getting home at 6:15, cooking for 45 minutes and then eating...

Only problem with this tends to be that you are limited to food that travels well and depending on the company, you are stuck with whatever restaurant the secretary decided to order from (a single restaurant seems common in chicago...but I know people in new york that have a system with many options). Also, you can cook far healthier meals than most places produce, but you run into this same problem if you get takeout at home or go to actual restaurants.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^lawyer? A friend of mine does the same exact thing but watches Netflix while doing "OT"

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
^lawyer? A friend of mine does the same exact thing but watches Netflix while doing "OT"

I would imagine most law, banking, consulting type firms have similar setups. Of course most companies expect you to be actually billing time to a client (slacking off if there is no client work during the regular office hours is one thing but had better be billing something to a client if you are taking in the after hours benefits)

ashpool

Reaction score
Make pasta casserole. Easy, last for a long time, tastes good, can use any ingredients as long as the core ingredients are there (pasta, cheese some kind of wet things that bind stuff together).

Also, many big law firms have their own cafeteria and chefs that make food for you and even bring them to you, so you don't have to leave your office and can continue to bill $1000/hr. for your firm.

Looking forward to that when I finish Law school.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashpool
Make pasta casserole. Easy, last for a long time, tastes good, can use any ingredients as long as the core ingredients are there (pasta, cheese some kind of wet things that bind stuff together).

Also, many big law firms have their own cafeteria and chefs that make food for you and even bring them to you, so you don't have to leave your office and can continue to bill $1000/hr. for your firm.

Looking forward to that when I finish Law school.

lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics