• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drank a 2004 reserve Caprili Brunello di Montalcino last night. Great wine. 2004 brunellos are drinking amazing right now.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think you don't like Australian wine, which I thought until the other day, try a Giaconda. Specifically, I had the Giaconda, Nantua, Les Deux, Victoria, 2004. Really impressive.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another couple came over last night. We got through the Barb, Ridge and Champagne. All delicious. The last Geyserville I had was 2006. IIRC, excellent. But this '08 was magical. After an hour decant, glorious nose and the most fragrant, juicy flavour, beautifully balanced with the tannins. My favourite 2008, so far.

The Piedmont Paitin also had a lovely flavour, but was quite tannic. I think this one could lay down for quite some time. But, we enjoyed it thoroughly.

The Cattier is a fine, inexpensive Champagne. An old friend who never lets us down. I'll report on the Gig tonight. I've had it several times and enjoyed it. I must say that with the five Gigs and ten or so Vacqs I've had, only one disappointed. Great neighbours. If only Burgundy could produce such consistency.

weekendwine.jpg

ridge08.jpg

paitin.jpg

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geyserville is such a great wine. Good young, and many can go for decades. Really an artful blend. Paitin really is a solid producer from Piedmont. But as you said, they can generally benefit from a few years in the cellar. Actually I've not had a wine from Piedmont that couldn't.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
Geyserville is such a great wine. Good young, and many can go for decades. Really an artful blend.

+1

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was surprised how much I preferred the 08 to the 06. I know little about Sonoma vintage quality, but the 08 had so much character. And that nose was epic!

Can't wait to drink it again.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
gorgeous color on that Barbaresco, I love that classic nebbiolo orangy-brick hue that you can see.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
gorgeous color on that Barbaresco, I love that classic nebbiolo orangy-brick hue that you can see.

Yup-but man, that sounds like a young bottle. If my pocketbook could handle it I suspect I might only be drinking bottles at 10+

Had lasik in one eye and PRK in the other Thursday... so I'm laying about and drinking wine
devil.gif

2004 Lan Reserve Rioja ATM...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had an 09 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc last night. Very nice, very nice indeed.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
2004 Lan Reserve Rioja ATM...
Just bought three bottles of this on sale the other day. Sampled it at the store, but am looking forward to popping open a bottle pretty soon. Maybe tonight...

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Barb needed some sleepy time, for sure. But the quality shone through the pucker.

Just at our local big LCBO. Great selection in one of the largest 'Vintages' sections. There are many Barolos, Barbs, and Brunellos from 2004. The earliest I would drink, for sure. I had a 2005 Barolo last year and it was a knockout, but young. God knows what it would taste like in 10 years!

I had a gift Gogondas ready for dinner tonight, but I couldn't resist and picked up another Ridge Geyserville 2008.

Truly, a
inlove.gif
wine.

Cheers, and have a great evening, guys.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Just bought three bottles of this on sale the other day. Sampled it at the store, but am looking forward to popping open a bottle pretty soon.

Maybe tonight...

Yeah. Grabbed a few this summer. A very easy drinker.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
last night we had a little of this but used most of it for cooking. Thank goodness as it's a fairly crappy wine:
2420698820043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

And then, for the actual dinner, we had some of this. Solid value Champs, I would drink again. Served with a salad and then a cream of mushroom soup that I made while drinking the Rioja:
2935892840043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

And then for our mains, we made steak au poivre. The wine wasn't too shabby either:
2801404850043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

And just because, here is some extra Cos wine pron:
2169816910043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

2082120080043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nice. I did steak au poivre and Bordeaux last night too but Your Bordeaux >>>> My Bordeaux (2006 Fleur de Jaugue St. Emilion), which was still very good.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried Dr. Konstantin Frank Rkatsiteli before? I had never ever heard of the grape before but gave it a whirl last night and enjoyed it. Sommelier described the taste as a cross between a chenin blanc and a sauvignon blanc. Was very aromatic but had good acidity, interesting wine.

Also, had a glass of vouvray before the meal and found it almost undrinkable, tasted 100% like sour apples. Have not had good experiences with vouvray or savennieres to date.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads