• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggest a hiking boot ....

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Ah, BC right? I understand. I remember seeing some nice Santoni's. Probably not cheap either, though. (I don't mean the ones on the sleek George last, you might find in a Google search.)

I like these, except for the nose (which would be a deal breaker for me):

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/4642/imgeh.jpg

See here.

Thanks for the suggestion but those Santonis look too much like a monkey boot rather than a hiking boot.

Fracap Monkey Boot
3041-1-L.jpg

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest to pass this fad...I was in the same situation as you a few months ago,really wanting a pair of Hogan Rebel boots with red laces.

Then I bought in November and not worn yet these these Gucci boots
or99pcnWjl4RfbH.jpg

They are too warm and heavy and come with a warning not to wear them in snow or rain (!!!)

Then I bought in December on sale a pair of more comfortable Santoni Club boots that I will probably sell. Similar to these but in calf not suede

These are really light, come with 3 pairs of different color laces and you find them easily on sale now.

I have real boots for hiking in the mountains in Switzerland and I really the look of old-school Paraboot Avoriaz, but you'll throw your money by trying to make a fashion statement wearing them once or twice in India.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Thanks for the suggestion but those Santonis look too much like a monkey boot rather than a hiking boot.

New term for me. I can imagine you don't want something like that.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Very hot in Japan, Trickers makes a lot of them for the Japanese market

Do you know the origin of the model, what they were used for?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Paraboots are supposed to be the genuine thing and you can actually hike in them.

Depending on how comfy they are I might use them on a small hike I've been wanting to take for some time.

If nothing else I'm sure they'll work fine as a pair of winterboots for me.

For your use as I understand it, I still feel the Dunhill's have the best combo of sleekness and classic styling.

FWIW, I'm no fan of the flat soled variants - especially the ones with light contrasting soles.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I want to do a portion of the West Highland Way so much ... maybe even climb the Ben Nevis Anyways, the Dunhills are nice but my chances of scoring one over the internet are next to zero. BTW, they also make one in alligator. So much for a utility shoe
dunhike.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember comming across another decent looking pair from Merrell, their 'Vintage Alpine Hiking Boots':

1A6XF9FH.jpg

- though they might be too clunky for you.

^^ I want to do a portion of the West Highland Way so much ... maybe even climb the Ben Nevis

Climbing Ben Nevis at the end would be part of the plan.

Just for fun, here's a pic from a month worth of 'tramping' in New Zealand:

mountains.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are some great pics.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What so you guys think of this ? Reasonably sleek, sole is not too bulky, plus heel
image1xxl.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads