• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss is crapola

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
Their shirts are fantastic. I also get compliments on their dress shirts. I never spend more than $65 on a dress shirt and in that market, HB are some of the best dress shirts style and quality wise.

Couldn't agree more. Hugo Boss makes fantastic shirts.
As for the suit, my tailor himself recommended that I stay away. Good advice.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Daseinflaw
Couldn't agree more. Hugo Boss makes fantastic shirts.
As for the suit, my tailor himself recommended that I stay away. Good advice.

What types of suits do you purchase then? They are probably one of the better looking and made suits for the price IMHO

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why all the sudden love for Hugo Boss? These suits are crap, and much better can be found at this price point. Stop trying to convince yourself you made a good buy.

Maybe not everyone can afford Brioni but you can certainly afford Hickey Freeman on sale. Stop buying garbage.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their shirts are fantastic. I also get compliments on their dress shirts. I never spend more than $65 on a dress shirt and in that market, HB are some of the best dress shirts style and quality wise.

I used to think so too, until I washed those "high-end" pieces of crap. Then I could only use them to clean my kitchen counter.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Why all the sudden love for Hugo Boss? These suits are crap, and much better can be found at this price point. Stop trying to convince yourself you made a good buy.

Maybe not everyone can afford Brioni but you can certainly afford Hickey Freeman on sale. Stop buying garbage.

+100.

I bought a HB blazer for $500. It fit me great. After 3 years, it fit me like a bedsheet. Never again!

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
The first time I ever heard of Boss was from Rocky IV, when Apollo Creed's corner crew comes out wearing Boss sweatshirts. I wanted one of those sweatshirts really bad.

I have the same exact story. I thought it was some kind of boxing brand like Everlast. Of course, I was like 8 years old.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What types of suits do you purchase then? They are probably one of the better looking and made suits for the price IMHO

Better-looking, yes. Well-made, not a chance. Buy 2 MTM/custom-made suits: charcoal and navy for $1K each. Unless you wear suits all the time, you won't need any more. Change the look of the suits by wearing them with different shirts and ties. They will last you over 10 years.

Its much better to have 2 well-made, good quality suits that fit you well than 5 mediocre (or even average) quality ones.

Oh, and keep fit. Don't let your body size change (much) :)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

I've noticed a sudden "shift" at SF in recent times. It's as if Cruiser (and a few clones) have descended upon us.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only item of Boss I own is a black-label outerwear jacket, pictured below. 65% wool 20% cashmere 15% nylon - made in Italy, perfect shape. It was 20-25 bucks at a thrift store; it's worth that much I figure... but the regularity with which I see thrashed Boss items at thrifts makes me unwilling to touch the rest of it.

P1060112.JPG

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
+100.

I bought a HB blazer for $500. It fit me great. After 3 years, it fit me like a bedsheet. Never again!

how is a blazers fit supposed to change like that. i get you dont like hb but this story makes no sense. kind of like expecting a shop to take back jeans after 6 months with crotch blowout. give me a break. i need to hear more posters about how their fused suits dissolved in the rain too.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
how is a blazers fit supposed to change like that. i get you dont like hb but this story makes no sense. kind of like expecting a shop to take back jeans after 6 months with crotch blowout. give me a break. i need to hear more posters about how their fused suits dissolved in the rain too.

Self-explanatory. My body shape didn't change. The blazer lost its shape completely. I didn't abuse it in any way. A blazer from a "high-end" designer shouldn't just lose shape like that.

My 2 custom blazers have retained their shape well (so far).

cold war painter

Reaction score
This thread has been back from the dead for 12 hours and shows no signs of becoming Godwinned yet. Well done everybody.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'all talk so highly about HF as did my dad, but where do you get HF suits for $500?

narcissism

Reaction score
Everybody is saying that Hugo Boss is crap quality, so why is that? What are some specific examples of Hugo Boss quality problems?

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
Insert generic complaints of poor quality fabrics, poor stitching, fusing, whatever canned sf responses there are, even if they don't know what that means.
Originally Posted by narcissism
Everybody is saying that Hugo Boss is crap quality, so why is that? What are some specific examples of Hugo Boss quality problems?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads