• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my entry for the Stripes Battle.

Isaia suit, Polo shirt, RLPL tie, Grenson Masterpiece shoes.

Have a good one!

Mike

Isaia1.JPG

Isaia2.JPG

Isaia3.JPG

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice look, though I'm not sure about the shoes with that suit. Love the tie. Is the shirt solid or patterned?

Originally Posted by MBreinin
I am not sure how I feel about this. I like the suit, I like the shirt. I like the tie. I don't know if I like them all together. Also, are you trying to weasel in on my monopoly on emblamatics??
boxing[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

This and last Friday's blue bow are the only emblematics I own, so I think you're safe.
smile.gif

As for the combo, well, I don't know. Just following the standard keep-the-scale-different rule. I thought it worked OK, but maybe not.

Do I get your vote just for not wearing a purple tie?
laugh.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
^ Nice look, though I'm not sure about the shoes with that suit. Love the tie. Is the shirt solid or patterned?

This and last Friday's blue bow are the only emblematics I own, so I think you're safe.
smile.gif

As for the combo, well, I don't know. Just following the standard keep-the-scale-different rule. I thought it worked OK, but maybe not.

Do I get your vote just for not wearing a purple tie?
laugh.gif

No, no..it works. Maybe it is just me and red ties. I buy them, and never wear them.
lol8[1].gif

Shirt has a self stripe, but it does not show up. Also, the tie does have much more contrast in reality, but the reflection made it appear to blend in more.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Mike, the suit is gorgeous and great fit - but if any fit ever called for a black shoe, its this one.

You know, it was such a staid and conservative fit that I wanted to have something in there that was fun. I know a black shoe would have been the easy approach, but I said to hell with it. I was inspired by the opening of Boardwalk Empire, where Nucky is wearing a black pinstripe with brown and tan specs.

Of course, the shoes have already received multiple compliments today...nothing else has.
lol8[1].gif

That is the difference between SF and the real world, my friend.

Mike

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike, the suit is gorgeous and great fit - but if any fit ever called for a black shoe, its this one.

You know, it was such a staid and conservative fit that I wanted to have something in there that was fun. I know a black shoe would have been the easy approach, but I said to hell with it. I was inspired by the opening of Boardwalk Empire, where Nucky is wearing a black pinstripe with brown and tan specs.

Of course, the shoes have already received multiple compliments today...nothing else has.
lol8[1].gif

That is the difference between SF and the real world, my friend.

Mike

You've said you always use flash on your shoes, right? I think that's making them look lighter in the closeup shot, which makes them clash more with the charcoal suit. They look darker and a better match in the full-length shot.

But I still agree with Spoo...black would have been better.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've said you always use flash on your shoes, right? I think that's making them look lighter in the closeup shot, which makes them clash more with the charcoal suit. They look darker and a better match in the full-length shot.

But I still agree with Spoo...black would have been better.

Yeah, they are flashed...which is going to make them pop more. I like the look, but I do realize black would have been the more conservative approach here. I even thought about changing them. But, in the end I decided to let it ride. If the shoes are a fail, that is cool.

Mike

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wsanford-shanghai
WS-WAYWT-01-14-11-Stripes.jpg

Just wonderful! Is that a drake's tie? Think I wore the same one teh other day.

DSCF6932.jpg

Nice overall, but I agree that a difft tie might have been better. Same as Mike, when I buy red ties I never wear them so maybe it's my general aversion to them.

Originally Posted by Philip1978
closeupe.jpg

Looks good man, but you, like me, need to work on the lighting in your photos.

Originally Posted by IST66
1-107.jpg

YOu always have some of my favorite casual looks. This is how you do a DB with jeans.

Originally Posted by TRINI
I can't put my finger on the exact issue but it looks like the front balance is off on this jacket.

+1 it looks like it hangs weird (doesn't quite flare right) below the buttoning point.

Isaia1.JPG

Great look. This suit appears to fit you better throughout the chest than most others (Base S?). I love it with those shoes, and while the tie is great, I think it is what is clashing with the shoes - to my eye (maybe would have brought in some brown to tie in with the shoes).

Glad you got the purple memo today

Thanks for sending it to me too.
laugh.gif

No time for shot this morning so ****** office pic.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
Great look. This suit appears to fit you better throughout the chest than most others (Base S?). I love it with those shoes, and while the tie is great, I think it is what is clashing with the shoes - to my eye (maybe would have brought in some brown to tie in with the shoes).

Thanks.

Yeah, maybe that is it. I also considered a tie with brown. That might have "tied" it all together.
lol8[1].gif

This is a Base S in Sciammeria 140s. It is quite roomy, actually. I like the way it fits and feels.

Mike

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt is from Brooks, which guarantees it will be loose (though it's a Luxury line, which is supposed to be less blousy), and, as I am a gentleman of a certain age and avoirdupois, I consciously shy away from very fitted shirts, as at some point, the metaphor "skin on sausage" comes into play, and not in an attractive context.

The sleeve lengths are correct for both shirt and suit - the lack of cuff showing I will chalk up to the rushed circumstance of photo-taking.

Otherwise, thanks for the comments - glad that you like overall.

Originally Posted by spitfirees20
Your shirt appears to be loose all over here and isn't doing you any favors, and also I can't see any cuff. Aside from these two things, very awesome. The colors go very well together, and the suit fit looks pretty damn good (although it's hard to tell with your hand in your pocket).

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you are confusing me with Spoozy?
uhoh.gif
big difference there....

really?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TRINI
I can't put my finger on the exact issue but it looks like the front balance is off on this jacket.

i think so too.

This. Spectator brown shoes and charcoal gray stripes do not belong in the same family. The suit is killer though Mike. Really digging your new direction. Its probably more money - but its working on you.

Originally Posted by spitfirees20
Just the fold; I think there's too much material showing, and points that are showing like that say "hey, I don't usually wear pocket squares". Obviously, others agree with me: http://tweedinthecity.wordpress.com/...square-theory/

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by Philip1978

Philip - please take better pictures and post again. This has a chance to impress!!

Razzzzle Dazzzzzle...

\\/\\/\\/

devil.gif
laugh.gif

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate your perspective, but, with my suit jacket on, the amount of purple showing is greatly reduced. Otherwise, it would seem that my tolerance for purple is greater than yours - this is filed under "chacun a son gout".

The rotation in my shirt drawers has been heavily canted towards pink and lavender of late - I think that I may need to vary the visual diet a bit - even I can OD on such colors.

I just think there is way too much purple going on here, UprCrst. For the record, I really don't like purple...but I can handle it in small doses. This is like a grape explosion.
lol8[1].gif

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads