• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long after interview?

Big T

Reaction score
When I conduct an interview,if I say "We expect to make a decision by such and such a time", that is generally my tell that I have ambivalence towards the candidate. When I say "we will contact you by such and such date", that is an indication we have interest.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MasterOfReality
Yeah I wouldn't stress about it.

I find its usually around 1-2 weeks before you hear back. My shortest time to hear back was in the first interview itself (phone interview with mining manager, had not even visited the site) when I was offered the job. The longest was around 2 months later when I got a call back. I had actually written this job off in my mind as I was told there were over 100 applicants.

But in all my past interviews, I have never had to ask when I should be hearing back from them - it was laid out in the interview.

Maybe 1 week at the longest, but 2 weeks seems a bit long. I think the 2 months was probably something like, they hired the person that they thought was the best candidate, but he ended up leaving so they called any other candidates they liked. Most of the other candidates probably found another job during that time.

I agree with Big T in that an employer, if they like you, will generally give you some sort of timetable. If they say they're interviewing for the next 2 weeks, then that is when you can expect something that late.

Also - it's too late now, but if you can acquire the email addresses of anyone (or ask for business cards after each interview) that interviewed you, you should send them an email with the following:
-thanking them for their time
-that you're a good candidate
-and leaving it open to answer any questions that they may be hesitant on in your skillset.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
They are notoriously slow in replying to people - one of the biggest mining companies in the world as well.

This position I applied for had over 100 people interviewed, and it took them 2 months to narrow it down to 3 people. Was a very highly sought after job as well.

By the time I got the call for a second interview, I had already accepted another
ffffuuuu.gif

Quite a few years later I applied when another job at the same place popped up. I didn't end up getting it but it still took them 2 weeks to respond. Pretty poor form though.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MasterOfReality
They are notoriously slow in replying to people - one of the biggest mining companies in the world as well.

This position I applied for had over 100 people interviewed, and it took them 2 months to narrow it down to 3 people. Was a very highly sought after job as well.

By the time I got the call for a second interview, I had already accepted another
ffffuuuu.gif

Quite a few years later I applied when another job at the same place popped up. I didn't end up getting it but it still took them 2 weeks to respond. Pretty poor form though.

I know higher-end positions take longer to fill, but that is ridiculous! I thought the phone call meant they made an offer, not a 2nd interview...

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Got an email from HR today asking me if I got a new phone and how I could be reached or if I could give them a call. I called at 5pm and got voicemail. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Got an email from HR today asking me if I got a new phone and how I could be reached or if I could give them a call. I called at 5pm and got voicemail. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

Good stuff. I would also give them a call in the AM. It wouldn't hurt

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good luck! I have a phone interview tomorrow.. nervous!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You don't want to have a job do you? Call before lunch tomorrow.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
You don't want to have a job do you? Call before lunch tomorrow.
I already have a job. A good one. In fairness, I only got the email at 4pm and was too busy working to get around to calling until 5. But yes, I will call ASAP tomorrow. Just wondering what to do about my GF, since this is in another city...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I take this is a better gig? How far is the city. If no more than a few hours, shouldn't be a deal breaker.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to get someone's attention is to mail a handwritten thank you card after the interview saying, "Thank you for seeing me, I thought our discussions on X shows what a great fit my experience doing X would be. Because I know you're busy, I will follow up by telephone by Z date." If you interviewed 4 people, mail 4 because then you get 4 chances to follow up. People always remember the handwritten stuff.

Call again on Z date (say 2 weeks from the day of the interview), and repeat the same thing, your interest and how to get a hold of you, and state a new date (i.e. 4-5 weeks from the day). "Because I know you're busy, I will follow up again by e-mail by Y date."

Last follow up, use the same text in the e-mail. This will be something like 6-8 weeks from the day. At this point, it's up to you whether you still want to pursue it by proposing another follow up date.

Phone calls are always better than e-mail.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
The easiest way to get someone's attention is to mail a handwritten thank you card after the interview saying, "Thank you for seeing me, I thought our discussions on X shows what a great fit my experience doing X would be. Because I know you're busy, I will follow up by telephone by Z date." If you interviewed 4 people, mail 4 because then you get 4 chances to follow up. People always remember the handwritten stuff.

Call again on Z date (say 2 weeks from the day of the interview), and repeat the same thing, your interest and how to get a hold of you, and state a new date (i.e. 4-5 weeks from the day). "Because I know you're busy, I will follow up again by e-mail by Y date."

Last follow up, use the same text in the e-mail. This will be something like 6-8 weeks from the day. At this point, it's up to you whether you still want to pursue it by proposing another follow up date.

Phone calls are always better than e-mail.

I think that depends on the position and who you are calling. I think calling is good if you're in a sales position or the job entails a lot of phone calling otherwise a simple email as you worded above should do the trick.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a hiring manager, for me, a phone call shows effort in trying to get the job. An e-mail is simpler and shows less commitment. Most people in a hiring manager's position tend to have overflowing e-mail boxes and so there's a chance it'll be missed.

Not saying an e-mail doesn't work, but it's one more thing that could reduce your chances - rather like opting to not wear a suit & tie to the interview.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
As a hiring manager, for me, a phone call shows effort in trying to get the job. An e-mail is simpler and shows less commitment. Most people in a hiring manager's position tend to have overflowing e-mail boxes and so there's a chance it'll be missed.

Not saying an e-mail doesn't work, but it's one more thing that could reduce your chances - rather like opting to not wear a suit & tie to the interview.

I have a phone interview today. How should I follow up to thank the interviewer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads