1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How long after interview?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by leftover_salmon, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior member

Got an email from HR today asking me if I got a new phone and how I could be reached or if I could give them a call. I called at 5pm and got voicemail. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

Good stuff. I would also give them a call in the AM. It wouldn't hurt

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Got an email from HR today asking me if I got a new phone and how I could be reached or if I could give them a call. I called at 5pm and got voicemail. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

Good luck! I have a phone interview tomorrow.. nervous!

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

You don't want to have a job do you? Call before lunch tomorrow.

4. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

You don't want to have a job do you? Call before lunch tomorrow.
    I already have a job. A good one. In fairness, I only got the email at 4pm and was too busy working to get around to calling until 5. But yes, I will call ASAP tomorrow. Just wondering what to do about my GF, since this is in another city...

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I take this is a better gig? How far is the city. If no more than a few hours, shouldn't be a deal breaker.

6. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

The easiest way to get someone's attention is to mail a handwritten thank you card after the interview saying, "Thank you for seeing me, I thought our discussions on X shows what a great fit my experience doing X would be. Because I know you're busy, I will follow up by telephone by Z date." If you interviewed 4 people, mail 4 because then you get 4 chances to follow up. People always remember the handwritten stuff.

Call again on Z date (say 2 weeks from the day of the interview), and repeat the same thing, your interest and how to get a hold of you, and state a new date (i.e. 4-5 weeks from the day). "Because I know you're busy, I will follow up again by e-mail by Y date."

Last follow up, use the same text in the e-mail. This will be something like 6-8 weeks from the day. At this point, it's up to you whether you still want to pursue it by proposing another follow up date.

Phone calls are always better than e-mail.

7. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior member

The easiest way to get someone's attention is to mail a handwritten thank you card after the interview saying, "Thank you for seeing me, I thought our discussions on X shows what a great fit my experience doing X would be. Because I know you're busy, I will follow up by telephone by Z date." If you interviewed 4 people, mail 4 because then you get 4 chances to follow up. People always remember the handwritten stuff.

Call again on Z date (say 2 weeks from the day of the interview), and repeat the same thing, your interest and how to get a hold of you, and state a new date (i.e. 4-5 weeks from the day). "Because I know you're busy, I will follow up again by e-mail by Y date."

Last follow up, use the same text in the e-mail. This will be something like 6-8 weeks from the day. At this point, it's up to you whether you still want to pursue it by proposing another follow up date.

Phone calls are always better than e-mail.

I think that depends on the position and who you are calling. I think calling is good if you're in a sales position or the job entails a lot of phone calling otherwise a simple email as you worded above should do the trick.

8. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

As a hiring manager, for me, a phone call shows effort in trying to get the job. An e-mail is simpler and shows less commitment. Most people in a hiring manager's position tend to have overflowing e-mail boxes and so there's a chance it'll be missed.

Not saying an e-mail doesn't work, but it's one more thing that could reduce your chances - rather like opting to not wear a suit & tie to the interview.

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

As a hiring manager, for me, a phone call shows effort in trying to get the job. An e-mail is simpler and shows less commitment. Most people in a hiring manager's position tend to have overflowing e-mail boxes and so there's a chance it'll be missed.

Not saying an e-mail doesn't work, but it's one more thing that could reduce your chances - rather like opting to not wear a suit & tie to the interview.

I have a phone interview today. How should I follow up to thank the interviewer?

10. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

I have a phone interview today. How should I follow up to thank the interviewer?

Email.

11. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

That's one of the more absurd things I've read on this site - and that's saying a lot. [​IMG]

12. leftover_salmon

Finally got in touch with HR today. She called to say they had good feedback about me and wanted to know details that would affect comp and relocation package -- current base/bonus, apartment, car, dependents...I assume this is a good sign.

13. binge

binge Senior member

Best of luck!

14. katiedaddy

katiedaddy Senior member

Definitely sounds like a good sign to me. I have an interview with big 4 next Thursday and I am scared shitless because I have keen ability to offend interviewer, probably explains why I am stuck with same company for 4 yrs now.. Fingers crossed as I really want to get this one..

15. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

I had a big interview yesterday, flown up to Portland for the day w/ rental car. ( a good sign)
    Interview went great, they kept hyping up the benfits and lifestyle, left off with "we will be talking soon"
    Should I follow up today, or wait till Monday? Is "talk soon" a good indicator?

I also accepted another offer the day before but the Portland one is much better and came out of left field after i had practically accepted first offer. If Portland offers, i will take it, and basically burn my bridge at first offer, which im ok with because i wouldn't have to look back - do you guys see this happening often?

Thanks, im a big dog interview n00b

16. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

I had a big interview yesterday, flown up to Portland for the day w/ rental car. ( a good sign)
    Interview went great, they kept hyping up the benfits and lifestyle, left off with "we will be talking soon"
    Should I follow up today, or wait till Monday? Is "talk soon" a good indicator?

I also accepted another offer the day before but the Portland one is much better and came out of left field after i had practically accepted first offer. If Portland offers, i will take it, and basically burn my bridge at first offer, which im ok with because i wouldn't have to look back - do you guys see this happening often?

Thanks, im a big dog interview n00b

By follow up, you mean a thank you? That should be done no more than 24 hours after the interview, in my opinion.

17. leftover_salmon

Fuck, these people are killing me. Told me their "process" was "held up" by the "snowstorm" and now I'll hear sometime Tuesday.

Does anyone here have an idea what's going on? Interviews wrapped up almost a week ago, so they've definitely made a decision by now. My thoughts are: A) I'm on the shortlist, but they're waiting to hear back from someone to whom they've already extended an offer; B) The fact I'm not a U.S. citizen and also require a relocation package means they want to have everything 100% in place for when they offer me a job.

18. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I had an interview today and asked the interviewer how long it would be until a decision is made. She said it "takes time," that I'm the first person they've interviewed, could be a week or several weeks. I can't take the waiting, it is seriously toxic. [​IMG]

19. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

By follow up, you mean a thank you? That should be done no more than 24 hours after the interview, in my opinion.

So i found out last night i got the portland job, after my 2nd interview I got my results in 24hrs. Entire process 1 week.
    Im fuckin moving from sunny socal to portland. This is nuts. I wouldn't want to make that move but its a dream position.

20. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

So i found out last night i got the portland job, after my 2nd interview I got my results in 24hrs. Entire process 1 week.
    Im fuckin moving from sunny socal to portland. This is nuts. I wouldn't want to make that move but its a dream position.

Congratz!