• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy vs Charcoal Trousers

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I must admit, if it were done, then when done, 'tis well 'twere done ... like that,

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's OK. Like several times before, you'll change your mind next year. Then you'll turn around your entire wardrobe to build it around navy trousers.

You and dabrick'sho

devil.gif

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i prefer navy trousers but i also like blue shirts

and only once did i make the mistake of pairing them. i felt like a police officer all day. so i tend to get more wear out of grey trousers.

Newlaw

Reaction score
What about 100% polyester navy trousers?

Are those more versatile than 100% wool navy trousers?

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are you for example arguing that this outfit would look horrendous with blue pants?
dozingoff.gif

photorey.jpg

I dig it.

I wear odd navy trousers alone without a jacket with no problem and without hesitation. I only have one plaid odd jacket that I do wear the navy trousers with - and it is not dissimilar to this one.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that outfit is a good example of why navy trousers are not versatile. could you wear that sports coat once a week? i don't think i could. otherwise i dig it too.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
^ that outfit is a good example of why navy trousers are not versatile. could you wear that sports coat once a week? i don't think i could. otherwise i dig it too.

Why would anyone want to wear the same sport coat every week?

Also, this is what is commonly called an "example" or an "illustration". In actuality, navy trousers do work well with more than this one specific sport coat.

Other examples would include any jacket that any blue element in it (windowpane, plaid, stripe), anything in a very warm color such as rust, burgundy, wine, dark green, anything that has a yellowish hue to it, e.g. maize, medium tan, etc...

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you for example arguing that this outfit would look horrendous with blue pants?
dozingoff.gif

photorey.jpg

Wonderful. And a great tie.

Also, I believe that this is a good example (and certainly not the only one) of a sport coat that may look fine with darker trousers.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to wear the same sport coat every week?
OP asked about "versatile" trousers. It does not sound like he is a dandy man with 30 sports coats in his closet. I don't think there are that many versatile sports coats that go easily with darker trousers. The example or "illustration" you provide is a good "example."

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
OP asked about "versatile" trousers. It does not sound like he is a dandy man with 30 sports coats in his closet.

But he doesn't own this specific sport coat either. I'm very confused by what you;re trying to say here. You're saying navy trousers are not versatile because no one would want to wear this plaid coat every week. There's just no logic there. I gave you many other examples of colors that work well with blue pants.

Clearly, medium and light grey trousers are more versatile than navy. But that wasn't an option for the OP.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I have no inherent bias against navy trousers and I own both navy and charcoal gray, I find that I wear charcoal gray trousers several times a week and navy about once every six months. I do enjoy the various proscriptions against both navy and charcoal gray odd trousers expressed here.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But he doesn't own this specific sport coat either. I'm very confused by what you;re trying to say here. You're saying navy trousers are not versatile because no one would want to wear this plaid coat every week. There's just no logic there. I gave you many other examples of colors that work well with blue pants. Clearly, medium and light grey trousers are more versatile than navy. But that wasn't an option for the OP.
Some people are limited in that they cannot, or will not, fathom that top-bottom colour combinations can sometimes be reversed... and still look as good as the original, and will clutch at straws and be obtuse to prove that they are 'right'. I will add that my darker odd pants are always cut looser than my lighter coloured pants, because that just looks right to me, and especially since I wear them with lighter coloured jackets. Might be a part reason for the navy hate here.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so it seems like most of the "ant-navy" camp is ingrained in that stance due to the difficulty of wearing navy trousers with jackets. if I only rarely wear jackets, would it become a closer decision? said a different way, am I better off buying 2 pairs of the (same) mid grey flannel trousers, or one of mid grey + 1 in navy? the navy in question: http://cdni.llbean.com/is/image/wim/...id=292&hei=346

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
so it seems like most of the "ant-navy" camp is ingrained in that stance due to the difficulty of wearing navy trousers with jackets.

if I only rarely wear jackets, would it become a closer decision?

said a different way, am I better off buying 2 pairs of the (same) mid grey flannel trousers, or one of mid grey + 1 in navy?

the navy in question:
http://cdni.llbean.com/is/image/wim/...id=292&hei=346

I rarely wear jackets, and I voted navy. Looks good with my skin tone and can pair with white, yellow, pink, various stripes and tattersalls. Brown or black shoes. I find charcoal to be too bland. But five years ago I would have voted charcoal...
And I agree that medium gray is most versatile of all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads