• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
yeah he was pretty bummed and i think he still might be, he said he still wants to talk to me regularly. i didn't ask him to get me anything, and it was kind of unexpected when he brought it up and said the gift might get there after xmas. the whole staying friends thing is weird, because we were friends for several years before dating then were together for like a year and a half. i'm totally fine being friends again, and he's seemed like he is too but now i'm thinking maybe not.
eh.gif

He is trying to get back with you. The best thing you can do for him is to stop talking to him, and explain why you do it - otherwise it is just going to drag on and he is going to be miserable. And it will also eliminate any chance of you guys eventually being friends.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
yeah he was pretty bummed and i think he still might be, he said he still wants to talk to me regularly. i didn't ask him to get me anything, and it was kind of unexpected when he brought it up and said the gift might get there after xmas. the whole staying friends thing is weird, because we were friends for several years before dating then were together for like a year and a half. i'm totally fine being friends again, and he's seemed like he is too but now i'm thinking maybe not.
eh.gif

I have been exactly where your ex is now, although the relationship lasted three years after being close friends for some time, not a year and a half. Anyway we broke up because we had to live in different countries. I insisted we could be friends and we stayed in regular/friendly contact. It was not good for me. The kindest thing if you are able to be friends, and he is not there yet, is to cut off contact with him. You don't have to be explicit about it, just make it very clear there is no chance of a further relationship with you, and then try not to talk to him too much. Give him maybe six months or even longer. It took me a year to be more or less ok with it, and when she moved back to London where I live it was still very difficult seeing her just as friends after all that time. Things are a little different between us now, but for all that time trying to be friends was a bad idea. She didn't mean to be cruel, but the kindest thing she could have done after we broke up would have been to minimize contact.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, ****. Looks like my ex's contract was renewed and she'll be around for at least three more years. I mean, I'm happy for her because it otherwise would have been a terrible blow to her, but now I get to keep running into her at parties and wondering if we actually should be 'friends' like she wanted. I just have to keep telling myself that she's way too rigid and pessimistic for me.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Well, ****. Looks like my ex's contract was renewed and she'll be around for at least three more years. I mean, I'm happy for her because it otherwise would have been a terrible blow to her, but now I get to keep running into her at parties and wondering if we actually should be 'friends' like she wanted. I just have to keep telling myself that she's way too rigid and pessimistic for me.

Two awful personality traits.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that and her being very unromantic made it pretty bleh. Whew, I'm feeling better already!
smile.gif

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Two awful personality traits.

QFT. The last girl I was seeing was extremely brief. She was really fun to be around at first but once she got settled into being herself on a regular basis she was one of the most negative people I had ever met. One of the worst attitudes ever about almost everything. Who the hell wants to be around someone who is negative every minute of the day?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I have a hard time imagining I won't be breaking up with this girl now. I figured that since I'm going on a week long assignment on the 6th, I'll tell her we need to hang out before (we've always hung out the night before I leave). Take her to dinner, tell her at the end? I've never been the breakup-er, always the breakup-ee.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I don't understand why people drag these things on. Break up. Move on. Trying to stay friends after just isn't worth the effort in my opinion.

+1. Let's just be friends is just a PC way of breaking up.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
So I have a hard time imagining I won't be breaking up with this girl now. I figured that since I'm going on a week long assignment on the 6th, I'll tell her we need to hang out before (we've always hung out the night before I leave). Take her to dinner, tell her at the end? I've never been the breakup-er, always the breakup-ee.
what happened? i thought you were in love
shog[1].gif

matt22616

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
QFT. The last girl I was seeing was extremely brief. She was really fun to be around at first but once she got settled into being herself on a regular basis she was one of the most negative people I had ever met. One of the worst attitudes ever about almost everything. Who the hell wants to be around someone who is negative every minute of the day?

Funny, same thing has happened to me at least three times: twice back to back.

I chalk such an attitude down to being unable to fathom my extreme raditude in all it's glory. I'm sorry I rock the world at 90mph, and no, I will not wallow in self-pity in an attempt to earn you self-esteem. Move over.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
what happened? i thought you were in love
shog[1].gif

I am. Its just a couple things where I realized I just don't want a GF and other stuff.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I am. Its just a couple things where I realized I just don't want a GF and other stuff.
Judging from your previous posts I am surprised you didn't come to this conclusion sooner.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
How do you know when it's not them, it's you?

I know I'm narcissistic, sometimes callous, but other than that I really try my best. I feel like most girls fall in love with me and love me unconditionally for about 1 year, then they start feeling neglected or that I don't support them emotionally enough. But I feel I treat them the same way I always did.

Maybe it's because underneath it all, under my skin there's... nothing at all?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
How do you know when it's not them, it's you?

I know I'm narcissistic, sometimes callous, but other than that I really try my best. I feel like most girls fall in love with me and love me unconditionally for about 1 year, then they start feeling neglected or that I don't support them emotionally enough. But I feel I treat them the same way I always did.

Maybe it's because underneath it all, under my skin there's... nothing at all?

Have you ever felt like the main character of an Ellis novel?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads