• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The story of one sofa or don't buy new crap from Pottery Barn or Hive.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Very interesting. Thanks for the pics.

If you take an old sofa and re-do it into a completely new soft with new colors is it still considered "vintage"?

"I've had the same broom for 20 years. Its had 17 new heads and 14 new handles..."

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Is it just me or is the left button much farther placed from the side than the right button? It seems like they row of buttons on the back did not start an equidistance from both sides.

Exactly my thoughts. If not burned tonight, you're doing the universe a disservice.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch.

First you pay $450 for a Craiglist POS (usually owners have to pay people to take away something that looks like that, but you pay close to $500) that nobody else wanted and then pay even more to have it made significantly uglier. Nice workmanship on the refurbishment though.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
meh.

+1. I wanted to be enthused by this but $2K seems a bit much for this couch.

soxpats

Reaction score
Sorry, not feeling this at all. But it is your money and if you like then doesn't matter what I think.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL, you guys are soo cranky.

There is a place near me that takes a mid-century piece and reupholsters it, recently they had an arm chair recovered in charcoal wool flannel that was just next level. I like the idea and think it's a worthwhile approach. I believe that they wanted $1100 for it, seemed reasonable.

jenlain

Reaction score
I like the look of the sofa. Nice work. Should give it lots of new life. Can you take a pic in its new habitat?

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
FWIW, you can find a decent selection of sofas from CB2, Crate and Barrel, and Room and Board all for around or less than 2Gs that are made in the US. some of the designs may be generic but others not so much. -Jeff
Have not seen "others" category from your post. Care to post some? All I have seen in the NYC stores are overpriced, rectangle, ubiquitous **** that college grads are hot for
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I feel like that was a lot of work for a decent couch, but not at 2k. There are plenty of options out there that I personally think look great, and are constructed very well.
Stores sell foam rectangles for 2K. I could not find anything original in NYC for less than 9K, where do you live? Where do you shop for furniture?
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Is it just me or is the left button much farther placed from the side than the right button? It seems like they row of buttons on the back did not start an equidistance from both sides.
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Exactly my thoughts. If not burned tonight, you're doing the universe a disservice.
Since both of you think the same: Did you notice that the farther armrest is significantly smaller than the one on the forefront?
Whether you like this sofa or hate it is irrelevant. The point I am making: there is much more satisfaction in finding something you truly like and making it your own by restoring it. There are enough disposable, unoriginal *********** chain stores , there are enough of that same *********** landfills. Don't be the middlemen in this store-to-landfill transaction.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Stores sell foam rectangles for 2K. I could not find anything original in NYC for less than 9K, where do you live? Where do you shop for furniture?
Define original. You mean to tell me you cannot find old ugly sofas for less than 9K in NYC? Someone is probably throwing a number of these out of your nearest office building under renovation. Hell, a ten minute walk turns up at least one or two on the sidewalk.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the Danish design on that ebay sofa. Kinda similar to the armchairs I bought for $95 in Craigslist in upstate NY and plan on refinishing once my upholstery guy gets back from Vacation.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
a%203.jpg
$1800 on ebay.

Don't forget the freight which is around $300.00. This sofa is much cheaper, since it does not have any suspension in a seat or back. If you r happy with the color and you can try it in- person, for comfort, then it is a much better deal than all that crap from Hive.com, BoConcept etc. Ebay has superb deals on vintage sofas, but you have to watch all the time or they go fast. Ebay: $800 delivered.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most likely the sofa i'll be getting. it's a total rip on the Knoll sofa but a few grand less. Crate and Barrel, $1599.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and i was too lazy to upload the images but the Anson at Room and Board, $1899:
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...ategory=201198

and the Clarke at Room and Board, $1899:
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...ategory=201198

all three are made in the US.

either way, if you like your sofa and it sounds like you do, that's great. i'm just addressing your original knock on the big furniture chains since i think it's unsubstantiated.

-Jeff

Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Have not seen "others" category from your post. Care to post some? All I have seen in the NYC stores are overpriced, rectangle, ubiquitous **** that college grads are hot for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads