The story of one sofa or don't buy new crap from Pottery Barn or Hive.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Pezzaturra, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Very interesting. Thanks for the pics.

If you take an old sofa and re-do it into a completely new soft with new colors is it still considered "vintage"?

"I've had the same broom for 20 years. Its had 17 new heads and 14 new handles..."

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Is it just me or is the left button much farther placed from the side than the right button? It seems like they row of buttons on the back did not start an equidistance from both sides.

Exactly my thoughts. If not burned tonight, you're doing the universe a disservice.

3. username79

username79 Senior member

Ouch.

First you pay $450 for a Craiglist POS (usually owners have to pay people to take away something that looks like that, but you pay close to $500) that nobody else wanted and then pay even more to have it made significantly uglier. Nice workmanship on the refurbishment though.

4. ahe

ahe Senior member

Looks nice

5. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

meh.

+1. I wanted to be enthused by this but $2K seems a bit much for this couch.

6. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

Sorry, not feeling this at all. But it is your money and if you like then doesn't matter what I think.

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

LOL, you guys are soo cranky.

There is a place near me that takes a mid-century piece and reupholsters it, recently they had an arm chair recovered in charcoal wool flannel that was just next level. I like the idea and think it's a worthwhile approach. I believe that they wanted $1100 for it, seemed reasonable.

8. jenlain

jenlain Senior member

I like the look of the sofa. Nice work. Should give it lots of new life. Can you take a pic in its new habitat?

9. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

FWIW, you can find a decent selection of sofas from CB2, Crate and Barrel, and Room and Board all for around or less than 2Gs that are made in the US. some of the designs may be generic but others not so much. -Jeff
    Have not seen "others" category from your post. Care to post some? All I have seen in the NYC stores are overpriced, rectangle, ubiquitous shit that college grads are hot for
    I feel like that was a lot of work for a decent couch, but not at 2k. There are plenty of options out there that I personally think look great, and are constructed very well.
    Stores sell foam rectangles for 2K. I could not find anything original in NYC for less than 9K, where do you live? Where do you shop for furniture?
    Is it just me or is the left button much farther placed from the side than the right button? It seems like they row of buttons on the back did not start an equidistance from both sides.
    Exactly my thoughts. If not burned tonight, you're doing the universe a disservice.
    Since both of you think the same: Did you notice that the farther armrest is significantly smaller than the one on the forefront?
    Whether you like this sofa or hate it is irrelevant. The point I am making: there is much more satisfaction in finding something you truly like and making it your own by restoring it. There are enough disposable, unoriginal shit in the chain stores , there are enough of that same shit in the landfills. Don't be the middlemen in this store-to-landfill transaction.

10. username79

username79 Senior member

Stores sell foam rectangles for 2K. I could not find anything original in NYC for less than 9K, where do you live? Where do you shop for furniture?
    Define original. You mean to tell me you cannot find old ugly sofas for less than 9K in NYC? Someone is probably throwing a number of these out of your nearest office building under renovation. Hell, a ten minute walk turns up at least one or two on the sidewalk.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Looks uncomfortable. (the ebay sofa).

13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I really like the Danish design on that ebay sofa. Kinda similar to the armchairs I bought for $95 in Craigslist in upstate NY and plan on refinishing once my upholstery guy gets back from Vacation.

14. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

[​IMG] $1800 on ebay.
    Don't forget the freight which is around $300.00. This sofa is much cheaper, since it does not have any suspension in a seat or back. If you r happy with the color and you can try it in- person, for comfort, then it is a much better deal than all that crap from Hive.com, BoConcept etc. Ebay has superb deals on vintage sofas, but you have to watch all the time or they go fast. Ebay: $800 delivered.
    [​IMG]

15. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

most likely the sofa i'll be getting. it's a total rip on the Knoll sofa but a few grand less. Crate and Barrel, $1599.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and i was too lazy to upload the images but the Anson at Room and Board, $1899:
    http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...ategory=201198

and the Clarke at Room and Board, $1899:
    http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...ategory=201198

all three are made in the US.

either way, if you like your sofa and it sounds like you do, that's great. i'm just addressing your original knock on the big furniture chains since i think it's unsubstantiated.

-Jeff

Have not seen "others" category from your post. Care to post some? All I have seen in the NYC stores are overpriced, rectangle, ubiquitous shit that college grads are hot for.