1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The story of one sofa or don't buy new crap from Pottery Barn or Hive.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Pezzaturra, Dec 22, 2010.

1. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

Sorry, not feeling this at all. But it is your money and if you like then doesn't matter what I think.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

LOL, you guys are soo cranky.

There is a place near me that takes a mid-century piece and reupholsters it, recently they had an arm chair recovered in charcoal wool flannel that was just next level. I like the idea and think it's a worthwhile approach. I believe that they wanted $1100 for it, seemed reasonable.

3. jenlain

jenlain Senior member

I like the look of the sofa. Nice work. Should give it lots of new life. Can you take a pic in its new habitat?

4. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

FWIW, you can find a decent selection of sofas from CB2, Crate and Barrel, and Room and Board all for around or less than 2Gs that are made in the US. some of the designs may be generic but others not so much. -Jeff
    Have not seen "others" category from your post. Care to post some? All I have seen in the NYC stores are overpriced, rectangle, ubiquitous shit that college grads are hot for
    I feel like that was a lot of work for a decent couch, but not at 2k. There are plenty of options out there that I personally think look great, and are constructed very well.
    Stores sell foam rectangles for 2K. I could not find anything original in NYC for less than 9K, where do you live? Where do you shop for furniture?
    Is it just me or is the left button much farther placed from the side than the right button? It seems like they row of buttons on the back did not start an equidistance from both sides.
    Exactly my thoughts. If not burned tonight, you're doing the universe a disservice.
    Since both of you think the same: Did you notice that the farther armrest is significantly smaller than the one on the forefront?
    Whether you like this sofa or hate it is irrelevant. The point I am making: there is much more satisfaction in finding something you truly like and making it your own by restoring it. There are enough disposable, unoriginal shit in the chain stores , there are enough of that same shit in the landfills. Don't be the middlemen in this store-to-landfill transaction.

5. username79

username79 Senior member

Stores sell foam rectangles for 2K. I could not find anything original in NYC for less than 9K, where do you live? Where do you shop for furniture?
    Define original. You mean to tell me you cannot find old ugly sofas for less than 9K in NYC? Someone is probably throwing a number of these out of your nearest office building under renovation. Hell, a ten minute walk turns up at least one or two on the sidewalk.

6. SkinnyGoomba

7. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Looks uncomfortable. (the ebay sofa).

8. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I really like the Danish design on that ebay sofa. Kinda similar to the armchairs I bought for $95 in Craigslist in upstate NY and plan on refinishing once my upholstery guy gets back from Vacation.

9. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

[​IMG] $1800 on ebay.
    Don't forget the freight which is around $300.00. This sofa is much cheaper, since it does not have any suspension in a seat or back. If you r happy with the color and you can try it in- person, for comfort, then it is a much better deal than all that crap from Hive.com, BoConcept etc. Ebay has superb deals on vintage sofas, but you have to watch all the time or they go fast. Ebay: $800 delivered.
    [​IMG]

10. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

most likely the sofa i'll be getting. it's a total rip on the Knoll sofa but a few grand less. Crate and Barrel, $1599.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and i was too lazy to upload the images but the Anson at Room and Board, $1899:
    http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...ategory=201198

and the Clarke at Room and Board, $1899:
    http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...ategory=201198

all three are made in the US.

either way, if you like your sofa and it sounds like you do, that's great. i'm just addressing your original knock on the big furniture chains since i think it's unsubstantiated.

-Jeff

Have not seen "others" category from your post. Care to post some? All I have seen in the NYC stores are overpriced, rectangle, ubiquitous shit that college grads are hot for.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I had my mind set on the Petrie model but ended up getting a Room & Board Andre 89" for $450 on cragislist in almost pristine condition.

The Petrie is very good looking and comfortable though, a nice sofa for sure.

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Whether you like this sofa or hate it is irrelevant. The point I am making: there is much more satisfaction in finding something you truly like and making it your own by restoring it.
    There are enough disposable, unoriginal shit in the chain stores , there are enough of that same shit in the landfills. Don't be the middlemen in this store-to-landfill transaction.

On that basis I approve.

But I don't care for the design or look of the sofa, and honestly it doesn't look very comfortable to me. Is it comfortable?

13. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

On that basis I approve.

But I don't care for the design or look of the sofa, and honestly it doesn't look very comfortable to me. Is it comfortable?

To answer simply yes would not be really answering your question. If you look at the seat angle in relation to the back you would notice that it is angled towards the back. You could also see that the sofa is slightly higher in the front legs than in the back legs, such angle helps to cradle your body more effectively and allows for comfortable seating posture. Also the smaller back cushion (with buttons) provides support for your lower back (S-shape curvature of the spine). I don't know (unfortunately) who designed this sofa ,but he had a good idea of human anatomy as well as principles of ergonomics.

14. SkinnyGoomba

DWR has the Bantam couch, which IMO looks a bit like a knoll knockoff and it's priced at about $2000ish.

[​IMG]

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I don't think the Knolls are particularly comfortable. Also sat in a Barcelona chair for the first time the other day at a spa waiting room, and that wasn't very comfortable either. They both felt like they were stuffed with foam.

16. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Barcelona chair is a great design statement (way more refined design than Knoll) however it is unsuitable for human body . It offers C-shaped back when the human spine is S-shaped.
    I could sit in Barcelona for 10 minutes and then I start adjusting and shifting away from the back.

17. haganah

haganah Senior member

how are you people not afraid of getting bed bugs by buying this old stuff? i mean at least he gutted his but eww on the others.

and how are you transporting it to your place?

maybe none of you are unfortunate enough to live in ny.