• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The story of one sofa or don't buy new crap from Pottery Barn or Hive.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this terminal patient through Craigslist:
Solid wooden frame : check Serpentine springs box: check Sprung backseat: check Completely dried-out 60 years old foam inside: check Paid $450.00 for it. Called this guy: Premier Decorators in Williamsburg, NYC (Rafi the owner) He picked it up from the storage and then did this to it:
Two weeks later he delivered this to my house:
Paid less than 2Gs for vintage sofa instead of generic, Chinese-imitation crap from the corporate shitty-chain. Boycott the retail garbage! Don't buy new stuff !

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Two eeks later he delivered this to my house:

Paid less than 2Gs for vintage sofa instead of generic, Chinese-imitation crap from the corporate shitty-chain.
Boycott the retail garbage! Don't buy new stuff !

That looks nice.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
that looks like a mongoloid angel of death

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I like that. My wife and I are looking for a suitable old couch that we can have the local upholstery guy refurb for us. Seems like an affordable way to get EXACTLY what we want, and I've been impressed with the work he's done for us in the past.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, you can find a decent selection of sofas from CB2, Crate and Barrel, and Room and Board all for around or less than 2Gs that are made in the US. some of the designs may be generic but others not so much.

-Jeff

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is it just me or is the left button much farther placed from the side than the right button? It seems like they row of buttons on the back did not start an equidistance from both sides.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what kinds of things do you look for in furniture you think are worth restoring

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought from Williams Sonoma Home, which I think is just another Pottery Barn store, but their stuff has been well made.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
honest question. Would I notice that the inside was dried out or would it just feel like a stiff sofa? Like would you expect a guest to sit down and scream or reach for their back right after sitting on it?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
what kinds of things do you look for in furniture you think are worth restoring

Classic pieces that you really love. It's not worth the hassle otherwise. Many classic pieces are constructed well (a good solid frame for a couch, for example), and are suitable for restoration. It's like altering a really nice suit vs. a really cheap one. Possible in both cases, but you'll usually get better results from the nice suit.

Originally Posted by Desi
honest question. Would I notice that the inside was dried out or would it just feel like a stiff sofa? Like would you expect a guest to sit down and scream or reach for their back right after sitting on it?

The cushion collapses, and doesn't spring back. The foam disintegrates into powder when it's dried out.

--Andre

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like that was a lot of work for a decent couch, but not at 2k. There are plenty of options out there that I personally think look great, and are constructed very well.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i find it pretty annoying when ppl say something to the tune of

man whatever you did was nice, but i could do better and i'm not going to tell you how or even justify myself

or some other self absorbed hater shit like that

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 155 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.6%
  • 31 - 40