• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoofan struggles to buy breast wallet at Hermes . . . arises victorious!

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It doesn't need to be "custom" per se. They have a special team that does true bespoke orders, but you can also order existing items in different colors and leathers. The latter is all I need. It would be done on the regular production line and made in the regular way with leather they (ostensibly) have available and which costs the same, so it shouldn't be such a big deal.
Okay, now I understand. I had a somewhat similar experience at Corthay in Paris the last time I went to place an order. They had greatly expanded the styles one can order. I wanted a certain model in a certain patina, but when they didn't have any of that particular model in my particular size, they told me they could not take my order. They suggested a store in New York City who could take the order. But, I said, I'm right here in Paris, and this is the place that will eventually receive any orders from New York, so why don't I simply order here? To no avail.

negusnegas

Reaction score
Nothing better than people being disrespected and being too dense to even notice.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by negusnegas
Nothing better than people being disrespected and being too dense to even notice.

There are many better things than this.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foofy how about these?

House of Fleming (they use the same tanneries as Hermes)

Valextra

Tanner Krolle

Asprey

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I'm not really sure what I find more surprising, that the service in this establishment was as poor as it was, or that someone would consider paying $2000 for a breast wallet in the first place. I am certain the workmanship is very good, and the skins, top notch, but I expect one could find equal quality from a smaller artisan/shop that does not bear the burden of Hermes' global marketing overhead.

If someone, and I say this with no snark or sarcasm intended whatsoever, finds someone who makes small leather goods to the workmanship and quality of materials of Hermes, then please kindly post the name of that "smaller artisan". I do intend to check out Duret when I am next in Paris, but from examining their website it appears that their prices are in the same ballpark (slightly lower) as Hermes anyway, at least for belts.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Foofy how about these?

Valextra

Tanner Krolle

Asprey

Charles Underwood

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
April in Paris

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Foo: Hermes is infamous for this type of attitude for new custom orders. I suggest you go to Cleverley - you'll get a product that is just as nice for 60-70% of the Hermes' price.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarus
You should have pretended to be important Japanese businessman, Foo Sumitomo.

Start by coming into the store, and never speak to any of the associates directly.

Have your wife pretend to translate for you, as you pretend to speak to her quietly in Japanese ("domo arigato misuta roboto, suupera marketa besiboru").

Make sure she explicitly mentions you are a very important Japanese businessman. If the sales associate still does not comprehend how important you are, have her either introduce you, or reintroduce, as Misuta Sony.

Wouldnt it help if Mafoofan dresses as a sumo wrestler in a sumo bib and utter guturral MCP answers to his wife?

And which big shot shops with his wife? His wife should pose as his personal assistant. The nervous type with a blackberry and big arch file whose sole duty in life is to ensure her boss' every ridiculous and demanding whim is fulfilled.

The really rich would not bother to go down to shop. They will insist the boutiques bring all their top stock to their house to parade for them. Their stock would be specially tailored for Mafoofan and woe betide even Hermes, if they decide to bring a normal Probossis or whats the name orange Croc H belt for Mafoofan to see. What blasphemy!

After Mafoofan chose what he likes in the same manner we choose pastries in the deli, he will send them packing by his personal assistant issuing them a cheque and all the SAs will carry back their stock not selected, not unlike courtiers leaving Louis XVI's court. Never looking at the Sun King's face and never showing their backs to him. Mafoofan would not deign to lower himself to speak to any of the hired help like the SAs and would only utter one or two words to the store manager who will whisper obsequeous praises in Mafoofan's presence.

The SAs would not be served any refreshments in Mafoofan's place. If they do, it would be in the kitchen with the other hired help and using only the cheapest tableware. Naturally they would leave by the servant's exit and never the front door.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of the more bizarre experiences I've heard. I can't say the experience in Europe is a whole lot better though. The feeling I get is they simply do not like to entertain custom orders.
frown.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foofy how about these?

Valextra

Tanner Krolle

Asprey

I've looked into some of those. The Fleming website is not encouraging: (1) they specialize in alligator, and (2) the workmanship on their small leather goods appears a little rough around the edges compared to the others. Tanner Krolle doesn't have any breast wallets on their website, and there is no place I know of in the U.S. to browse their things.

Asprey, I would consider, but I think I'd just rather get a Hermes wallet in a different color before trying them. They're less well-known for their leather goods and the mark-up is going to be similar.

Valextra is very tempting. I like their breast wallets, and the price is downright reasonable compared to Asprey or Hermes. The workmanship is way up there. But again, there is an availability issue. They are only sold through Barneys in the U.S., and their colors tend to be very feminine. No true dark green in sight. I don't know if a special or custom order service is available--but I can only imagine the nightmare it would be to deal with Barneys on such a matter, given the experience with Hermes. I've received inconsistent service at Hermes, but it's at least polite and pleasant 90% of the time. Barneys salespeople, on the other hand, are universally awful. There never was a snootier, too-cool-for-school bunch of effete wannabe fashion industry insiders.

Originally Posted by JayJay
Charles Underwood

Who?

April in Paris

I looked into this. I don't like their standard breast wallet design, and the colors are not my cup of tea. Maybe I could ask for them to send me dark green swatches, but I'm going to see what happens with Hermes (probably nothing) before attempting.

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Foo: Hermes is infamous for this type of attitude for new custom orders. I suggest you go to Cleverley - you'll get a product that is just as nice for 60-70% of the Hermes' price.

Does Cleverley make their own small leather goods, or sub-contract? It seems to me that shoemaking and wallet-making would require two somewhat different sets of skills and expertise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads