• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBreinin vs. Reevolving Fit Battle Threak

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my honest and what-i-think-is-fair opinions: -many of mbreinen's suits are bubbly looking.. .the lines are harsh -#124 looks like its from another decade... just not sure which one in particular; mostly due to lapels -in contrast, #129 is outstanding in all sense. (not an effect of the photo cropping) i think the difference is in the sharp taper from his (broad) shoulders down to the waist. with a gentler curve (e.g. 129) it looks more elegant. as noted, niidawg has a similar body build and his jacket fits are flattering.
deadhorse-a.gif
revolve.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
my honest and what-i-think-is-fair opinions:
-many of mbreinen's suits are bubbly looking.. .the lines are harsh
-#124 looks like its from another decade... just not sure which one in particular; mostly due to lapels
-in contrast, #129 is outstanding in all sense. (not an effect of the photo cropping)

i think the difference is in the sharp taper from his (broad) shoulders down to the waist. with a gentler curve (e.g. 129) it looks more elegant. as noted, niidawg has a similar body build and his jacket fits are flattering.

deadhorse-a.gif
revolve.gif

I don't know how you are coming up with the numbers, but if you are referring to the dark charcoal suit in which I am wearing a hat as the one from another decade, you are correct. It is from 1963, it is an Oxxford.

Originally Posted by NORE
+1

A wager, eh? Loser leaves SF? Self-imposed ban?
lol8[1].gif

Mike

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
You're kind, but I'm pretty sure I'd lose to Mike or any of the other regular WAYWRN bigtimers.

Why would I want to "battle" either of them? They are both fine gentleman and neither has given me an ugly Haiku of criticism, and then claimed they were superior. I also like both of their fits and they demonstrate what I consider to be excellent personal style.

Mike

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I don't know how you are coming up with the numbers, but if you are referring to the dark charcoal suit in which I am wearing a hat as the one from another decade, you are correct. It is from 1963, it is an Oxxford. A wager, eh? Loser leaves SF? Self-imposed ban?
lol8[1].gif
Mike

the post index on this thread. you can see them on the top right of each response. (this one is 143)

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would I want to "battle" either of them? They are both fine gentleman and neither has given me an ugly Haiku of criticism, and then claimed they were superior. I also like both of their fits and they demonstrate what I consider to be excellent personal style.

Mike

group-hug.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
the post index on this thread. you can see them on the top right of each response. (this one is 143)

Oh, ok. #124 is a Polo, made in the USA. My guess is the '90s. I would say the low buttoning point is more of a giveaway of it being older than the size of the lapels, which are actually smaller than some stuff in the current Polo lineup. It is most definitely not a '70s suit, I have several Polos from the '70s and this is much newer.

#129 is a modern Polo, made by Corneliani. A few years old at most.

Mike

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to say that looking at your measurements (what I can guess they are from your pics) I think you dress admirably with a difficult physique.

Your Shoulder:Waist:Hips ratio is nothing like the Tom Ford aesthetic promoted here, and I for one would struggle to dress you any better.

I would also like to commend you on dealing with this situation; very few of us would take criticism, abuse and provocation with such decorum. No matter what your fits look like, your character is beyond reproach in my opinion.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
worst thread ever

+1.

Pathetic, really. The whole thing would have been much better handled with a good Foofing, IMO.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
I'd like to say that looking at your measurements (what I can guess they are from your pics) I think you dress admirably with a difficult physique.

Your Shoulder:Waist:Hips ratio is nothing like the Tom Ford aesthetic promoted here, and I for one would struggle to dress you any better.

I would also like to commend you on dealing with this situation; very few of us would take criticism, abuse and provocation with such decorum. No matter what your fits look like, your character is beyond reproach in my opinion.

I have a 44 inch chest and a 36 inch waist. That is an 8 inch drop. I would probably do OK with a Tom Ford suit.
lol8[1].gif
The problem is that I am also barrel chested. I am thick front to back, and I have a big ribcage.

I do appreciate the kind words though, it is all a learning process.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
+1.

Pathetic, really. The whole thing would have been much better handled with a good Foofing, IMO.

Hey, Mark...I didn't ask for the attack from him and I felt I was justified in defending myself. I also was not the one who offered to let SF vote on who was better. I think it is all in good fun. Please note, I didn't create this thread.

As far as getting a Foof, Matt has already said every one of my fits was off. He certainly didn't volunteer to show me the light.

Mike

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, Mark...I didn't ask for the attack from him and I felt I was justified in defending myself. I also was not the one who offered to let SF vote on who was better. I think it is all in good fun. Please note, I didn't create this thread.

As far as getting a Foof, Matt has already said every one of my fits was off. He certainly didn't volunteer to show me the light.

Mike

Yeah, you're right. I meant for my post to come off a bit more tongue-in-cheek than it did. It does strike me as odd that someone would call someone else out over fits and then not show up to the fight. You have been a pretty good sport about this, I must say.

I avoided this thread for a while then peeked in to see what I was missing. I think I'll just drop back out now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads