• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

themidship22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Counterpoint: terrible. Shave. Cover some portion of your forehead so you don't look like an an infant. Don't button the top button of your shirt. Lose weight. Size down on the sweater. You look like you just read the entire StreetEtiquette blog, and instead of noticing the proportions or color combinations you just noticed the gimmicks.

Also take off your hat. You look like a flapper with a collection of David Blaine's spoken word CDs.

That's gotta be the best burn of my life. 3rd Degree. I feel like Joaquin Phoenix in Ladder 49, or Joaquin Phoenix on David Letterman, your choice.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I finally changed up the scenery and tried to up the picture game and this is the result. Don't mind the feeble paint brush techniques, was trying to take out some distracting background items.

P10100603.jpg

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
I love you tonio ervell overcoat?
Gracias, amigo. You got it, navy version. Excellent at keeping me warm below the waist and cutting the wind off today since it was blustery as those wonderful weather peeps say.
Originally Posted by dls6128
tbh, tonio, I prefer your mirror.
Yeah? I can't win haha.
Originally Posted by SPK
deets tonio? looks good
Ervell overcoat, Armani shirt, EG cardi, Mabitex, Comeys. Guess I'll edit the post in case others were curious.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and how much of that was used, how much bought new?
- testing out a little statistical theory here

I'm a scared to see where this is going. All were purchased new actually.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm writing a white paper on it, so can't tell... just kidding. Theory is that items bought new (or NWT from forum) have a longer life span in terms of being "keepers" than used stuff that seemed like a good deal at the time. The B&S chain-kop allows you to try a bunch of things, and thus develop an internal database/lexicon, but in my experience you seldom keep that stuff for very long. Pretty much everything I have at this point was bought new/on sale/as new. Reasons? Obviously for retail, generous returns policies and the ability to try things on mean you won't pull the trigger unless it really works. And if it doesn't, back to the store it goes. Same goes for most sales. NWT stuff has a higher success rate because there are no nagging defects. Stuff that is NWT but being resold is likely due to a simple fit issue or "not my style," but not because the garment is just sucky or poorly designed. Stuff that makes it to the "wow, this is a great deal!" status is stuff that languishes because it's trickled down and probably isn't so much of a keeper in the first place. There are quite a few designers and items that never make it to a FS thread or ebay, because the owners bought them new and are clinging to them for dear life. So I dunno, it's a great boon to have all of this stuff, and there are deals to be found, but a lot of it is sloppy seconds. And it's easy to be spoiled by a returns policy. No hand-wringing while you wait for someone to hopefully buy your items that you took grainy photographs of on an iphone. Service with a smile. YMMV, of course, but I find this theory to hold true in most cases (and through independent comparison with others). B&S is still a great joint though
bigstar[1].gif
You have to know what you're looking for. And Tonio's fit seemed too cohesive and comfortably-fitting to be things he piecemealed together, so I asked. High degree of comfort apparent in the fit

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I'm writing a white paper on it, so can't tell...

just kidding. Theory is that items bought new (or NWT from forum) have a longer life span in terms of being "keepers" than used stuff that seemed like a good deal at the time. The B&S chain-kop allows you to try a bunch of things, and thus develop an internal database/lexicon, but in my experience you seldom keep that stuff for very long. Pretty much everything I have at this point was bought new/on sale/as new.

Reasons? Obviously for retail, generous returns policies and the ability to try things on mean you won't pull the trigger unless it really works. And if it doesn't, back to the store it goes. Same goes for most sales. NWT stuff has a higher success rate because there are no nagging defects. Stuff that is NWT but being resold is likely due to a simple fit issue or "not my style," but not because the garment is just sucky or poorly designed. Stuff that makes it to the "wow, this is a great deal!" status is stuff that languishes because it's trickled down and probably isn't so much of a keeper in the first place. There are quite a few designers and items that never make it to a FS thread or ebay, because the owners bought them new and are clinging to them for dear life.

So I dunno, it's a great boon to have all of this stuff, and there are deals to be found, but a lot of it is sloppy seconds. And it's easy to be spoiled by a returns policy. No hand-wringing while you wait for someone to hopefully buy your items that you took grainy photographs of on an iphone. Service with a smile.

YMMV, of course, but I find this theory to hold true in most cases (and through independent comparison with others).

B&S is still a great joint though
bigstar[1].gif

You have to know what you're looking for. And Tonio's fit seemed too cohesive and comfortably-fitting to be things he piecemealed together, so I asked. High degree of comfort apparent in the fit

My vb, mmm and js stuff son. Also dries and ss. You are a genius btw.

PS. Wasn't that concept obvious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics