• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
who is brett?

Something tells me you would probably like him, in small doses.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone opened a 2002 burgundy recently?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril

Had a great 2002 Charmes-Chambertin last march. Great wine was great.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just got this WTSO email:

Hi ,

Today we are offering Domaine Louis Latour
Criots Batard Montrachet
Grand Cru 2004
95 Rating WE!
Was thinking, "Great!I'll pick up an order and try myself my first Grand Cru Montrachet." Then read this:

originally priced at $259.99 and available now for only $129.99. Ground shipping is free with your purchase of 1 bottle(s).
frown.gif
No, no I won't be trying it.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril

Here was mine a little while ago:

Originally Posted by tattersall
In honour of US thanksgiving we had a small bird last night and cracked open something special

Since I'm not a true baller like Petrus1/lucifer it's only a 1er cru but it ended up being a very nice one. I note that both Jancis and Hugh in their Atlas single out this producer as one of the better ones in Pommard so both team Pio and team Petrus should be pacified...

2002 Domaine de Montille Pommard 1er cru "Les Pezerolles" - the vineyard is very close to Pommard but the producer is based in Volnay, so something of an odd duck but it was really wonderful. A much lighter wine than I'm used to drinking but a stunning complexity and a great deal of finesse. I gather this would keep for a few more years and even improve but what the hell. This was not at all powerful (only about 12%) and you could certainly taste red fruit - I got strawberry mostly - and a nice minerality too. Would buy again if I could find it. Was perfect with roasted duck.

l1010268.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
FWIW, that's a really great price.....
smile.gif

Yeah, and I would love to try it. However, I won't go north of $60 on a bottle without someone, who's taste I trust, giving a personal rec. Remember, at heart, I'm a cheap bastard.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Yeah, and I would love to try it. However, I won't go north of $60 on a bottle without someone, who's taste I trust, giving a personal rec. Remember, at heart, I'm a cheap bastard.

Did you have to sell your post count for the sous-vide machine?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
It might have been overwhelmed by all the notes of white-out and baloney.
IIRC, you like wines from the Languedoc, right? They tend to have a good percentage of mourvedre, which a lot of people see as having this scent. I think in France they call it animale, which is a much better description. Much of it is cultural, I think, and in the US we tend, having no food culture at all, to see daring and shocking as sophisticated, and around these values have grown words we use commonly like "barnyard," "pig face" for pigs head etc. It is like a sign showing club membership, I think. None of this is a comment on the members here using it, just on how our own food and wine culture has developed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I still smell funk and barnyard.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You are way more prodigal than me.
Originally Posted by iammatt
IIRC, you like wines from the Languedoc, right? They tend to have a good percentage of mourvedre, which a lot of people see as having this scent. I think in France they call it animale, which is a much better description. Much of it is cultural, I think, and in the US we tend, having no food culture at all, to see daring and shocking as sophisticated, and around these values have grown words we use commonly like "barnyard," "pig face" for pigs head etc. It is like a sign showing club membership, I think. None of this is a comment on the members here using it, just on how our own food and wine culture has developed.
I don't deny the sometimes-usefulness of wine nomenclature; I am just opposed its fetishization and elaboration to the point of absurdity. I agree that the more esoteric and deliberately repugnant labels are often wielded like status symbols of superior discernment ("What, you can't smell the cat piss and wilted rhododendron? How odd."). This exists in France as well as in the US, though I have noticed far fewer armchair experts here than back home. The average French drinker seems to accept wine as a normal fact of life, not as an object of study.

Pio writes, "In fact, if you think the grape is Pinot Noir and are having a hard time figuring out if it's New or Old World, the presence of barnyard on the nose will tell you it's most likely a Frenchie." My response is, who cares? That is not an end in itself. I am much more interested in whether the wine was good or bad, what is good or bad about it, and when I should drink it. All the more so because he and I don't share a nose, and because aromatics change over time. I find these sorts of details largely superfluous. To know what wine's second fermentation is called or which Bordeaux were classed in 1855 is simply not very interesting except to a hobbyist.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
You are way more prodigal than me.

I don't deny the sometimes-usefulness of wine nomenclature; I am just opposed its fetishization and elaboration to the point of absurdity. I agree that the more esoteric and deliberately repugnant labels are often wielded like status symbols of superior discernment ("What, you can't smell the cat piss and wilted rhododendron? How odd."). This exists in France as well as in the US, though I have noticed far fewer armchair experts here than back home. The average French drinker seems to accept wine as a normal fact of life, not as an object of study.

Pio writes, "In fact, if you think the grape is Pinot Noir and are having a hard time figuring out if it's New or Old World, the presence of barnyard on the nose will tell you it's most likely a Frenchie." My response is, who cares? That is not an end in itself. I am much more interested in whether the wine was good or bad, what is good or bad about it, and when I should drink it. All the more so because he and I don't share a nose, and because aromatics change over time. I find these sorts of details largely superfluous. To know what wine's second fermentation is called or which Bordeaux were classed in 1855 is simply not very interesting except to a hobbyist.

Jesus, I had to spend $500 for a master sommelier to teach me that and I gave it to you for free.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to be dickish. I actually know relatively little about wine culture. I do most of my buying by tasting everything in sight at one of these.
800px-Vigneron_Ind%C3%A9pendants_Salon_Lille_2010.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads