The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Just got back from a tasting. Found two pleasant wines in my price range to take home: 1. Roussillon villages, Domaine du clos des fÃ[​IMG]es, vieilles vignes, 2007 Languedoc-Roussillon, 35% carignan, 35% grenache, 30% syrah 2. Ampelidae P.N. 1328, 2008 Loire, 100% pinot noir Both fairly aggressive, robust wines but with supple/subdued tannins. All I got out of the bouquets was fruit and spiciness despite claims of 'animal,' e.g. barnyard. I also managed to take some wine pr0n for the thread: [​IMG] [​IMG] ^^ Not in my price range, but nice also.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I feel bad b/c I always thought I could smell 3-4 or sometimes more distinct smells in wine.
    Now I realize I am wrong.

3. holymadness

I feel bad b/c I always thought I could smell 3-4 or sometimes more distinct smells in wine.
    Now I realize I am wrong.

[​IMG]

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG]

I like the feather in your hat.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This is such an interesting thing to discuss, what people can and can't smell in a complex wine.

Let's go with spices. HM, you said you found spices on the nose. Were they baking spices, think vanilla, nutmeg, etc., or savory (think white or black pepper, etc)?

6. holymadness

This is such an interesting thing to discuss, what people can and can't smell in a complex wine. Let's go with spices. HM, you said you found spices on the nose. Were they baking spices, think vanilla, nutmeg, etc., or savory (think white or black pepper, etc)?
    My notes are not that detailed, nor my senses that refined. The Ampelidae had an extremely aggressive nose and I'd say that was more savoury, like pepper. Another (unlisted above) had a distinct odour of cloves.

7. Piobaire

My notes are not that detailed, nor my senses that refined. The Ampelidae had an extremely aggressive nose and I'd say that was more savoury, like pepper. Another (unlisted above) had a distinct odour of cloves.

I have led you onto the path! [​IMG]

8. holymadness

Aside from the cloves, I didn't really get anything definitive out of the six or so bottles I tried. I fear I'm going nosedeaf.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I think the whole conversation is silly. HM doesn't find it helpful or useful to break a wine down into components. For him the scale is more binary--- yes that's good and I'll drink it again or no that's not good; I don't want anymore. That's fine. Piob and I find it more useful to go into further detail. Who cares. Drink however you like whenever you like. There aren't any rules.

10. holymadness

I propose a return to the system of describing wines as masculine or feminine, coarse or refined, noble or common, ingratiating or overbearing.

11. Piobaire

2006 Tikal Patriota is what I'm thinking of putting with a steak tonight. 60% Bonada, 40% Malbec.

12. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Waiter: "Would monsieur care for another bottle of Chateau Latour?"

Navin: "Ah yes, but no more 1966. Let's splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this of this old stuff."

Waiter: "Oui, monseur."

Navin: "He doesn't realize he's dealing with sophisticated people here."

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I'm drinking a bottle of Chartogne-Taillet Cuvee Sainte-Anne. This is a very nice Champagne. I would describe it as feminine, refined, noble, and quite ingratiating.

14. Piobaire

What exactly does "cuvee" signify? Is it just something that dodges the AOC and let's makers pretend their stuff is more special? I think so.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG] [​IMG]