• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
If I drank anything that reminded me of "barnyard" or "funk" I would pour it down the sink.

It's the nose not the taste.
Usally a nose of wet straw etc...barn yard.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Anyone had this CDR- pretty nice.

Also check out the grape listing on the other bottle--nice - classic GSM with a few others thrown in for good measure.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Those are exceedingly common in Burgundies. In fact, if you think the grape is Pinot Noir and are having a hard time figuring out if it's New or Old World, the presence of barnyard on the nose will tell you it's most likely a Frenchie.
Somehow, that is the last thing on my mind when I am drinking wine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Somehow, that is the last thing on my mind when I am drinking wine.

Just because it's not on your mind, doesn't mean it's not there. Ask Brett, he'll confirm it's often there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. Sounds yucky.

+2. I mean, people would pay good money for wine that smelled like that?
confused.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm hoping less barnyard and funk. Am I on the right path there, Francophiles?

If I drank anything that reminded me of "barnyard" or "funk" I would pour it down the sink.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. Sounds yucky.

+2. I mean, people would pay good money for wine that smelled like that?
confused.gif

just to play -1 as a Devil's Advocate ... if I wanted a wine to taste like Twizzlers, I'd buy a $2 pack of Twizzlers instead of a G-C.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
just to play -1 as a Devil's Advocate ... if I wanted a wine to taste like Twizzlers, I'd buy a $2 pack of Twizzlers instead of a G-C.

My last post was tongue in cheek. People do pay good money for it and to talk about pouring a classic Burg down the drain is ludicrous talk.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I finally got around to uploading some pictures from last week:

A solid Chanti:
2720713130043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

this was a bit of a disappointment:
2420081460043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Friday night was this Barbera d'Asti, it was ok:
2979939830043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

And then yesterday morning on the way to the gym we heard what sounded like a dog whimpering on the roof of our building (????), we live on the top floor and could tell the door was ajar. My gf went up and shouted back "oh my god it is a dog!" and of course I think **** now we have a dog. I recognized it as a neighbors and confirmed it with others in the building but how/why it got up there is another question. So we got to take care of him for the day. The owner (a nice guy) was shocked upon returning and had no idea how his dog ended up on the roof. We noticed the dog likes to follow others around quietly so we assume it sneaked out behind the owner when he was leaving in the morning. It doesn't like to go down stairs so it went up and through the ajar door where it kind of got stuck in the cold. Cute dog, he nuzzled right in while I was doing some ironing:
2458567400043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

And after that we had some friends over for food and fun with a few bottles of these guys:
This was an interesting white, not what I usually associate with the Eye-ties as it had a slightly higher sugar content and this certainly had an impact.
2374324630043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

And then this was a nice nebbiolo with a gorgeous spiced cherry nose upon opening:
2598621710043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

And to end the night:
2874145340043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Quite the eye-tie list there. Did any smell like barnyard?
devil.gif

FWIW, Italy makes a little more sense to me now. A little. It's still amazing the wine culture there and how eff'ing complicated it all is.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Quite the eye-tie list there. Did any smell like barnyard?
devil.gif

FWIW, Italy makes a little more sense to me now. A little. It's still amazing the wine culture there and how eff'ing complicated it all is.

no, perhaps this is why none were superb. Not enough poop.

My preference in Italians has actually shifted to the north as of late, I'm digging stuff from Piedmont and the northern border areas. It's rainy and windy out today, I'd love an old Barolo right now ...

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because it's not on your mind, doesn't mean it's not there. Ask Brett, he'll confirm it's often there.
It might have been overwhelmed by all the notes of white-out and baloney.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ugh. No wine for the old man today. Just too hung over
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads