Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Between the fact that everytime I see my parents lately it's a "special occasion" and the fact that my relationship mainly revolves around great food, great wine, and great sex, my collection is very quickly being whittled down to nothing. All I've left is a bottle of Chablis, a 375 of Chartogne Taillet, the aforementioned Gigondas that can't be touched for 40 years, and a bottle of 05 Kracher TBA. [​IMG]

That Gigondas is going to get lonely sitting in the VinoTemp all by its lonesome. You need to find it some friends.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

That Gigondas is going to get lonely sitting in the VinoTemp all by its lonesome. You need to find it some friends.

I know. Unfortunately, I'm so broke right now I can't even take my date to go ice skating ($10 skate rental WTF MANG). For example, "dinner" this weekend will be fried rice with egg. And Chartogne Taillet [​IMG]

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I'm struggling with the eye-tie B's. I've yet to have one that really blew my hair back. Bought quite a few on that WTSO/Cindy binge I was on a while back. So far, just 'meh'.

Here are the one's I've had this year:
    9/30/2010 2001 Fontanafredda Barolo Serralunga d'Alba (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)
    7/11/2010 2003 Roagna Barolo La Rocca e La Pira (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)
    3/28/2010 2001 Solaria Brunello di Montalcino 123 (Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino)
    2/27/2010 2001 Fontanafredda Barolo Serralunga d'Alba (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

those are ok B's, the Rogana being the most prominent. I'd assume most would be meh as well. I've had the Fontanafredda, it's solid, and the Solaria is usually solid as well (though I wasn't a particular fan of the '05)

The Corino Barolo '05 that Manton and I had last year blew us both away, especially for the $65 price. I believe M has a few in his cellar now, not that they're anywhere close to ready. Or, reference this Times article that discusses some '05 Barbaresco.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Oh snap speaking of Eye-tie b's, I still have that '04 BdM. Hmmmmmm...... should pop that one over Xmas as one last hurrah.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Oh snap speaking of Eye-tie b's, I still have that '04 BdM. Hmmmmmm...... should pop that one over Xmas as one last hurrah.
    stop flirting with gomestar.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

We're going to KelleRoast a chicken and drink Italian wine! !!!

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

[​IMG]

8. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I believe M has a few in his cellar now

Does doubling the square footage of your house make the value go up as much if it's all underground?

9. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Between the fact that everytime I see my parents lately it's a "special occasion" and the fact that my relationship mainly revolves around great food, great wine, and great sex, my collection is very quickly being whittled down to nothing. All I've left is a bottle of Chablis, a 375 of Chartogne Taillet, the aforementioned Gigondas that can't be touched for 40 years, and a bottle of 05 Kracher TBA. [​IMG]
    Dude, some of these words should never, ever be used in the same sentence.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Everytime I see my parents lately it's a "special occasion." That and the fact that my relationship mainly revolves around great food, great wine, and great sex means that my collection is very quickly being whittled down to nothing. All I've left is a bottle of Chablis, a 375 of Chartogne Taillet, the aforementioned Gigondas that can't be touched for 40 years, and a bottle of 05 Kracher TBA. [​IMG]

FTFM [​IMG]

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Hmm, drank a Burg vin de pays at happy hour tonight.

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Enjoyed a bottle of 2007 Guado al Tasso Il Bruciato this evening. On the nose jammy with dark cherry, plum, and noticeable oak, which translated onto the pallate. If I didnt know any better my first guess would have been California just because of the oak.

Also had a glass of 2007 La Scolca Gavi di Gavi. Found it be very enjoyable with a very aromatic nose and persistent finish. To be honest, when drinking it I knew it was a good wine but was preoccupied with other things to take a step back and really enjoy it.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Enjoyed a bottle of 2007 Guado al Tasso Il Bruciato this evening. On the nose jammy with dark cherry, plum, and noticeable oak, which translated onto the pallate. If I didnt know any better my first guess would have been California just because of the oak.

Part of the deductive tasting method the Guild teaches is oak = think new world. Jammy = think new world.

14. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Nice, now I feel special. Hopefully this summer I can take some courses with the guild and take my love for wine to the next level.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Hopefully they teach a little more nuance than that at the higher levels.