• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odd Jacket with Shawl Collar

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In Goldfinger, after their round of golf, Auric is wearing an odd jacket with a shawl collar. What's the deal with that? Is there a name for the style, when to wear it etc. Just curious. Here is the best I can do of pics.

goldfinger.jpg

goldfinger.jpg

His jacket when he's about to split Bond in half is BAMF.

http://jakemcmillan.files.wordpress....pg?w=300&h=300

This is just funny.

funny-sports-pictures-goldfinger.jpg

Also, the chicks in Goldfinger--hands down the finest of any 007 movie. Like **** isn't even close.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its was a film and COSTUME is worn in films. This jacket is part of the illusion to make the character 'different'.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Its was a film and COSTUME is worn in films. This jacket is part of the illusion to make the character 'different'.

Along with his anachronistic plus fours and gold lamendinner jacket.

IiRC in the book it mentions something about how GF dresses as if he had asked a tailor to 'dress him for golf'.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Its was a film and COSTUME is worn in films.

No fuckin ****, you don't say.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
No fuckin ****, you don't say.

I believe Robin Williams was wearing a shaw collar odd jacket last night on SNL.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
It's just an alternative combination, rarely done. It's occasionally around (it was a trend in my area in 09), and you could find it online, or possibly get a tailor to make it for you if you wish. It would be a little anachronistic in terms of formalities, but shouldn't be too jarring, so long as you keep in mind that it's a casual thing.

Another form is the tuxedo blazer, which is the same but black with satin lapel trim. Like the former, it's hard to pull off, but you can rip it like a baller if and when you do.

IMO, I wouldn't try the former, but a tuxedo blazer might be cool if you have the swagger for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads