• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vinyl Records and Turntables Are Gaining Sales.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did everyone pickup for the Black Friday Record Store Day Exclusives..?

I bought the Iron & Wine 12" and the Gaslight Anthem 7"

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
^^ There's a lot of truth there. I've worked as a professional sound engineer, both studio and live and previous to that I worked in record retailing just on the cusp of CD's coming in and replacing vinyl. Early digital was generally crap. I ran a couple of CD only stores in the early eighties and some of the stuff that came out initially was a joke, appalling mastering and conversion ( the fact that most of it was actually about 12 bit rather 16 didn't help). It improved quite quickly as the better labels that gave a **** remastered specifically for CD using better procedures and equipment. Allied to this was the rapid improvement in CD players. When I was studying to be a sound engineer ('88) I was using a wide selection of the earliest DAT machines on the pro- market, both mastering to and recording direct to, and they all sounded different, very few sounded "natural" (ie what you put in was the same as what came out). They did improve very quickly though. Once it got to 20 bit the better machines started to sound OK if not brilliant. One of the criticisms of digital is that it is too bright, but one of the major problems was that in the early days especially, all the analogue equipment (microphones with humps in the upper mid response) and techniques were designed to make up for signal and bandwidth loss from the all analogue chain, primarily at the top end. Effectively this meant that when you recorded or mastered to digital you got the double whammy of boosted top end on record and no loss on playback (relative to the analogue equivalent), hence it's overbrightness. Some of the wiser heads realised this and compensated accordingly by removing top end or using flatter response mics etc. (I used to like Calrecs for their very flat EQ curve and natural sound). The compromises involved in analogue recording were and are many. I was trained old school, tape splicing, test tones, demagging and degaussing heads etc. etc. I can tell you from my own recording experience ( multitrack rock/pop to live two track classical and jazz and everything in between) and having sat in on sessions at places like Abbey Road with top engineers and producers, what you put in and what you get back are not the same, even with half million pound desks, top end Studers and 50 grand monitors etc. Even say stereo pair direct to half inch two track @ 30 ips, no compression or other outboard interference. It still doesn't sound the same as the source (although admittedly a lot closer that most multitracked stuff.) Then you have the whole RIAA curve, mother/father stamping generational loss of vinyl to add on to that. Believe me musicians, engineers and producers moaned for years that the final (vinyl) product didn't sound anywhere near as good as the initial tape master (which itself didn't sound as good as the the source mix). Modern digital (24 bit 96k) is generally much closer to the source than analogue ever was, but it won't make up for being a crap musician, engineer or producer who doesn't know how to use digital to its best effect. In fact it will highlight bad engineering/production/mastering even more than analogue because of its transparency. The irony of having all that dynamic headroom with 24 bit being lost in the normalising (digital compression) wars is not lost on me... What's quite interesting these days is that there has been a bit of a resurgence in the use of valve mics, ribbon mics, valve mic pre amps and mix line amp modules etc. for use in otherwise all digital chains, in an effort to "warm" things up. That is a creative production decision that is entirely valid, as long as one accepts that technically what you are doing is deliberately introducing non linear (although harmonic as opposed to enharmonic) artifacts in order to make it sound subjectively more pleasing. (Which is the same reason for using valve pre /power amps etc. in the listening chain.) So technically more accurate to the original source? Modern digital. More subjectively pleasing? Analogue still has a lot going for it, just remember that what you hear is not what it sounds like to the ear in situ. It is a representation that happens to have lots of anomalies that we find subjectively pleasing. I still have all my vinyl, it doesn't get played that often, but I still marvel at what those great bands/engineers and producers achieved with such a compromised recording medium.
Well, 'CD' is more accurate than vinyl. Better dynamic range, flater frequency response, better S/N ratio better linearity, zero wow and flutter &c I don't dispute that. But, as you say, you can never recreate the sound of the studio no matter which technique you use to record it. Every stage of the chain is flawed. The Key is to build a system that you like the sound of whether it be from an analogue or digital source. As an aside a lot of the dislike for the 'CD' sound, especially from older people is ironically due to one of the strengths of CD and that is its greater dynamic range as opposed to the compression used in vinyl. Most people have never heard a studio master and would struggle to listen to it with its 120+ dB dynamic range.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Robert Ludwig from Mixonline: http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_bob_ludwig/
It is customary to believe that the CD is superior to the LP in terms of bandwidth, but this is not the case. The CD is limited to 22,000 cycles, whereas the LP is able to reproduce frequencies up to 50,000 cycles, which in the PCM world equals a sampling rate at 100 kHz. The bottom line is that LPs mastered with DMM still sound really good.
Note: CD sampling rate=44.1 khz

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
What did everyone pickup for the Black Friday Record Store Day Exclusives..?

I bought the Iron & Wine 12" and the Gaslight Anthem 7"

I picked up Mike Patton's new venture, Mondo Cane. It really is out of this world awesome. Modern orchestral covers of '50s Italian pop songs.

Patton is really undercelebrated, he has been consistently putting out fascinating stuff for the last two decades.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I know that, but most people cant hear over 20 kHz anyway.

It's more about the level of resolution.

Also, are you aware of the AES studies that show audible detection of harmonic overtones beyond 20khz?

Are you aware of Jim Boyk's studies?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
It's more about the level of resolution. Also, are you aware of the AES studies that show audible detection of harmonic overtones beyond 20khz? Are you aware of Jim Boyk's studies?
Well, I've heard this, that people can 'feel' or 'sense' high frequencies or their artefacts up to around 40kHz but I've never read that they can hear discrete frequencies around that range. I don't know what you mean by resolution.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.endino.com/graphs/

Below are frequency response curves I've made myself by testing various analog recorders I've worked with over the years. What I wanted to know was, after a standard alignment procedure was performed (or, seemingly, not performed) by the studio techs (or sometimes by myself, to be sure), what was coming out of the machine versus what went in? Analog machines all sounded different to me, and I wanted to know why. The procedure was to do a repro circuit alignment using a reference tape with a series of tones recorded on it at standard levels, adjusting the repro circuits on the machine to play back all the frequencies at equal levels as much as possible. Then adjust bias and whatever else can be adjusted on the record circuit side of things (usually there are fewer adjustment options for the record circuitry), then fine-tune the repro alignment one more time. Whatever inaccuracies remain, are intrinsic to that particular machine/tape combination. You may think it's "flat", but surprise, it never is... never!

Here's a recent quote (Electronic Musician, Jan 2002) from world-famous engineer/producer/mixer Bob Clearmountain, making one of the few printed references (outside of AES journals) I ever see to the phenomenon I'm about to show you: "To me, analog is unpredictable; it does that funny thing to the bottom end. You work really hard on the bottom to get it exactly right, and then you play it back on your analog tape, and it's like, 'Oh, what happened there?' The storage medium is making decisions about what the bottom end should sound like." Indeed. Nonetheless, I'll note that I still mix to half-inch when requested (and I prefer 15 IPS for rock and roll) despite the stuff you're about to see below; forearmed is forewarned in this case.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resolution means the level of detail in the music one can hear.
Well, I would put my money on a top end CD player over a record player on that score. A CD player has a wider dynamic range and a better S/N ratio and doesn't suffer from wow & flutter artefacts for a start. That's before I get into resonance from the platter motor.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Well, I would put my money on a top end CD player over a record player on that score. A CD player has a wider dynamic range and a better S/N ratio and doesn't suffer from wow & flutter artefacts for a start. That's before I get into resonance from the platter motor.
I do semi-professional recording of classical musicians on the weekends. Been doing this since 1990 when I learned how to record at a friend's record label. I started recording in 24/96 in 1992 which is when it first came out. Now I record in 24/176. Based on that experience I would say that a good LP on a decent table is on par with this 24/176 recording. It is not on par with "redbook" CD which is 16/44.1. Good analog tape, in spite of its specs, is often even better than 24/176 (my recording buddy has reel machines). The divide between digital and analog has narrowed greatly with the improvements in both mics, mic preamps, and ADCs. Good analog still remains on par only, in my experience, with these "hirez" digital formats where the sampling rate is a multiple of the 44.1 khz rate of CD. Now as far as resonances with platters, speed stability, etc....that has largely been eliminated by modern turntables and is inaudible.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do semi-professional recording of classical musicians on the weekends. Been doing this since 1990 when I learned how to record at a friend's record label. I started recording in 24/96 in 1992 which is when it first came out. Now I record in 24/176. Based on that experience I would say that a good LP on a decent table is on par with this 24/176 recording. It is not on par with "redbook" CD which is 16/44.1. Good analog tape, in spite of its specs, is often even better than 24/176 (my recording buddy has reel machines). The divide between digital and analog has narrowed greatly with the improvements in both mics, mic preamps, and ADCs. Good analog still remains on par only, in my experience, with these "hirez" digital formats where the sampling rate is a multiple of the 44.1 khz rate of CD. Now as far as resonances with platters, speed stability, etc....that has largely been eliminated by modern turntables and is inaudible.
To be honest, we'll never resolve this discussion. Which I don't mind If you think that 'analogue' sounds better than 'digital' then it does. I can't argue with that. From a purely technical perspective though, CD is more faithful to the master recording than vinyl, quality mastering notwithstanding. Now, that doesn't necessarily equate into a better listening experience though, for the reasons I've previously stated.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robert Ludwig from Mixonline:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_bob_ludwig/

Note: CD sampling rate=44.1 khz

This bit from the link was quite interesting...

You started mastering vinyl. Is that something you are still doing?

Until recently, I had a DMM [Direct Metal Mastering, where the album is cut to a copper disc] system at Masterdisk, and at Gateway a lacquer-cutting lathe, a VMS-80. We sold our machine to Sony a few months ago, and the reason was that I was gradually getting more and more disappointed with the level of quality control that took place at the record companies. I realized that the A&R people didn't have record players anymore in their offices, and the amount of work we were getting was gradually decreasing to maybe one lacquer-cutting session a month.

The machine always needed a lot of calibrations and tweaking in order to perform at its best, so it wasn't really justifiable to keep the machine around any longer. Although we don't do vinyl mastering any more, we are still considering doing it again if there is a demand for it in the future. Masterdisk still has their DMM machine, and, as a side note, I can mention that Bruce Springsteen's Live in New York City was mixed by Bob Clearmountain on a DA-98 with Apogee PSX-100 converters and was mastered here at Gateway. Masterdisk, in turn, used our 24-bit master to master the LP using DMM. We often get mixes at higher resolutions: 88.2k, 96k, 176.4k, 24-bit, and for CD we work at high-resolution before converting to Red Book standard. We utilize Apogee UV22 or Pacific Microsonics HDCD dithering in order to reduce to 16-bit resolution.
What's the production reality with DMM AF? How many mother/father generational stamp copies are there before the final vinyl pops out? How many record companies actually doing it this way rather than the old (crap) way?

I've got one half speed mastered virgin vinyl record of a band called RMS (Ray Russel, Mo Foster and the awesome Simon Phillips) that used to rock on my dads Thorens TD150 back in the day. No compression on it anywhere in the recording or mastering chain (according to the sleeve notes anyway), full on fusion that used to get the woofers moving significantly...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
What's the production reality with DMM AF? How many mother/father generational stamp copies are there before the final vinyl pops out? How many record companies actually doing it this way rather than the old (crap) way?

I've got one half speed mastered virgin vinyl record of a band called RMS (Ray Russel, Mo Foster and the awesome Simon Phillips) that used to rock on my dads Thorens TD150 back in the day. No compression on it anywhere in the recording or mastering chain (according to the sleeve notes anyway), full on fusion that used to get the woofers moving significantly...

In my personal experience, DMM is a very mixed bag. The "Cadre Rouge" Blue Note reissues sound pretty good and they are DMM. Some recent audiophile DMM is also good sounding. But a lot of DMM records are not done well which creates poor sound. Really depends on the execution I would say.

I would not say the old way is "crap". It depends on execution. If you look at the hand pressed Classic titles before they sold to Acoustic Sounds you will see some great quality. If you listen to the Music Matters Blue Notes from the RTI plant or pretty much anything from the Pallas pressing plant in Europe then you will be pleased.

And of course the mastering matters a great deal. Was it an original analog recording? Is it a modern digital recording? Hirez recorded?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads