• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vacuum Test: Meile Blue Moon vs. Dyson 14+

computerpro3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
This is very odd since my Miele has about as bad a vacuum smell as anything. Sure it has rubber seals everywhere but so does my Dyson. I believe the Dyson is simply a better design and I would have preferred the Miele win since I spent almost $1,200 on it.
It is defective if it has a vacuum smell. Get them to cover it under warranty. EDIT: Wait a minute, what model do you have? Are you comparing something like a 20 year old vacuum to a brand new Dyson? For reference, I'm speaking of a Miele S7 series upright.
Looks like the Environmental Illness Resource likes Dyson for filtration and suction: http://www.ei-resource.org/store/hep...cuum-cleaners/
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Either way, it doesn't really matter what some website with commission links to Dysons says. Particle counters don't lie. I encourage you, go search for videos. Better yet, if you're truly interested in your health (and not just in winning an argument on an internet forum), buy a particle counter and test it for yourself. I have used them on both vacuums and have seen it for my own eyes. The Dysons are not truly sealed. After all, you wouldn't want to suffer allergies needlessly! In several areas a valid argument can be made that the Dyson is equivalent or superior to a Miele. Filtration is simply not one of them.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
My Blue Moon is roughly ten years old so the comparison is perhaps not fair but I've maintained it well and I have lots of experience using it.

Originally Posted by computerpro3
In several areas a valid argument can be made that the Dyson is equivalent or superior to a Miele. Filtration is simply not one of them.

You keep making these claims but I see no evidence. Have you any evidence in terms of an independent study on filtration?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Blue Moon is roughly ten years old so the comparison is perhaps not fair but I've maintained it well and I have lots of experience using it.

Is anyone else extremely surprised by the revelation that Fran uses a vacuum cleaner?
I must say I am.

computerpro3

Reaction score
You didn't think for just a second that the lack of suction in the Miele vs. a brand new Dyson may be because...wait for it....it's ten years old? In ten years, no wonder you're getting a vacuum smell. I wouldn't be surprised if the rubber seals are worn out, there are cracked panels, etc. When was the last time it was professionally serviced? How often did you replace the HEPA filter? Did you replace it with the cheaper one or the true HEPA filter? Mieles, like Simplicity, Riccar, etc, can all mechanically last forever with little servicing. But they won't perform optimally without it. Think of them like performance cars.
You keep making these claims but I see no evidence. Have you any evidence in terms of an independent study on filtration?
Unfortunately, there's been no scientific studies done that Grado RS-1's are better than Koss Portapros. Guess you should stick to the Koss. I've told you multiple times. Multiple people, in multiple parts of the world, with multiple particle counters have measured the air quality coming from both Dyson and Miele vacuums. Invariably, the Dyson spews particulate and the Miele doesn't. These are calibrated scientific instruments being used by industry professionals. Sure, in some of the videos the people have a vested interest in selling Miele, but that doesn't change the fact that the entire thing is videotaped and you can watch the entire measuring process with your own eyes. I don't know what more to tell you. If that's not good enough for you, you might as well stick to Two Buck Chuck - there are no scientific studies showing Sea Smoke Ten to be superior to it, despite that we know for a fact it's made with higher quality, more attention to detail, more planning, and higher raw materials. The conclusion is yours to draw; I'm already enjoying my improved health and living environment.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
You didn't think for just a second that the lack of suction in the Miele vs. a brand new Dyson may be because...wait for it....it's ten years old?

In ten years, no wonder you're getting a vacuum smell. I wouldn't be surprised if the rubber seals are worn out, there are cracked panels, etc. When was the last time it was professionally serviced? How often did you replace the HEPA filter? Did you replace it with the cheaper one or the true HEPA filter?

Just because the Blue Moon is ten years old is not reason enough for poor suction. I've tried current Mieles and the Dyson has better suction.

I take care of my things. The HEPA filter is replaced every 12 months as suggested. Miele has a place to put in the installation date.

Miele is a good vac but Dyson is simply better and you don't have to buy pricey bags.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Here is a test by Miele of a DC25 that shows good filtration by Dyson, second only to Miele.

http://www.mieleusa.com/products/ben...72&benefit=119

Yes, excatly what I've been saying.

emission-chart.jpg

The Dyson emitted 21x more particulate than the Miele.

How is that any different from what I've been saying all along?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Yes, excatly what I've been saying.

emission-chart.jpg

The Dyson emitted 21x more particulate than the Miele.

How is that any different from what I've been saying all along?

It's not different but I had to find the link. I was only asking for you to post some evidence.

Moreover, this was a study commissioned by Miele. I'm not sure if it is unbiased as a result.

computerpro3

Reaction score
It's not different but I had to find the link. I was only asking for you to post some evidence.

Moreover, this was a study commissioned by Miele. I'm not sure if it is unbiased as a result.

It's an interesting study. I actually had no idea the Sebo was that bad. Imagine what those $50 Walmart specials must be like?

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few years back I spent some time doing research on the major vacuum message boards.

The consensus there seemed to be that as good as the dyson suction is, the real difference in cleaning ability lies in the design of the brushes, an area where the dyson was poor.

If the consensus was that the dyson was a poor choice, what was the consensus for a vacuum cleaner with a superior design for the brushes? Was it Miele? If it was Miele, is there a difference in brush design between all the different classes of Miele vacuums?

Also, what was the consensus on those message boards about uprights vs canisters? I've grown up using uprights so I'm leaning towards getting one but that's just because I'm used to them.

emptym

Reaction score
Our old Hoover broke last week and can't be repaired. We're currently considering a Dyson, Miele, or Shark. Anyone have any thoughts on the three? Edmorel, Artisan Fan, and gdl203 seemed pretty happy with their Dysons. But a lot of online reviewers say they aren't pleased w/ Dysons after loving them initially.

Love to hear people's current thoughts on these or other vacuums. We're leaning towards a canister or something that convert between the two, like various Shark models, but are open to anything.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dysons have so much plastic and a lack of longevity...but they do suck well. Bagless models are never going to filter the air as well though, and I find that a single bag translates into MANY emptyings of a bagless.

The sharks have the same problem (but worse) although a couple places review them highly as a budget vac, acknowledging that they won't last forever (but if you are buying for like...a first apartment after college, who cares).

The miele's still score pretty dang highly, especially if you optimize which features you get to avoid paying too much. For example, the differences between the cheapest S7 Upright and the higher models are pretty insignificant (you get an LED headlight, and some button controls instead of a knob...Also some of them come with extra filters, but those can still be bought for the cheapest model). But the cheapest canister is not useful if you have any big rugs or carpet--there, you really need to upgrade to a model that has one of the better power brushes.
Also, unfortunately, the Miele attachments are kind of sad (although, so are the Dyson ones)...the brush attachment is a tiny, short bristled, joke....but just go on ebay and get something with nice horsehair bristles for $10 or so.

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks OTC. That all makes sense. Although, I think Shark does make some bagless models that are sealed.

I'm definitely leaning toward a bagged model, particularly the Miele Delphi, which is probably the cheapest one w/ a powered brush. We do have some medium pile carpet, which seems to require it. I'd read that the only differences between that and the Titan are that the Titan includes an extra brush and the HEPA filter, both of which can be added later and for less than the diff between the two models. One site compared the Miele to Kenmores, which get high ratings from Consumer Reports. It said that while the Kenmores cost 1/2 to 1/3 of a Miele, they break about three times as quickly. So the Miele makes better financial in the long run. Environmental too. Theres a new Hoover Air Cordless that gets high reviews too. May check that out too.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads