The Vacuum Test: Meile Blue Moon vs. Dyson 14+

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

You are correct regarding the Dyson poor brush design. Much of the "dirt" that it appears to be sucking up that the Miele "missed" are actually carpet fibers that are ripped off from the carpet due to the overly stiff brush design. That's why the see-through tube fills up so quick.

I don't believe this is true. When I have vacuumed with my DC14+ the canister is filled with dirt and pet hair, no carpet fibers. I've done enough cleaning to know what carpet fibers look like and that is not what is coming out of the bucket.

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Yeah, though now I see vactalk has closed.

It was the more serious one, though I think things grew stagnant.

Just the same people rehashing the same tired debates, and the level of knowledge was too high for new members to get their bearing without being flamed.

Plus, the old members were very anti-Dyson, and that let to trolling problems.

IIRC they tried to freshen things up with an iron forum, I imagine that was the nail in the coffin for the regulars.

[​IMG]

I hear the vacuum business is slow... I will be here all week, try the veal.

you suck [​IMG]

3. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

I don't believe this is true. When I have vacuumed with my DC14+ the canister is filled with dirt and pet hair, no carpet fibers. I've done enough cleaning to know what carpet fibers look like and that is not what is coming out of the bucket.

Same here.

4. computerpro3

computerpro3 Senior member

Obviously, it depends on the pile and quality of your carpet. I'm just repeating what tends to be the consensus of the various forums (I did a lot of research before purchasing) and industry professionals.

5. Artisan Fan

Obviously, it depends on the pile and quality of your carpet. I'm just repeating what tends to be the consensus of the various forums (I did a lot of research before purchasing) and industry professionals.

Do you have any links? I'd like to learn more.

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Do you have any links? I'd like to learn more.

Translated: "evidence?"

[​IMG]

7. suited

suited Senior member

I have a dyson, and although it does remove a lot of dust from the carpets, I don't like the brush design mainly because it doesn't seem to pick up certain things worth a damn. The carpet doesn't look like it has been cleaned after you're done, most because the brushes don't have enough contact with the carpet to move it around, which explains why the brushes are able to pick up dust, but not particles that are in plain sight. Sometimes I'd have to run over the same thing 10 times before it would finally pick it up. The vacuum the cleaning service uses now is much better, as I rarely ever use the dyson anymore.

8. Artisan Fan

I have a dyson, and although it does remove a lot of dust from the carpets, I don't like the brush design mainly because it doesn't seem to pick up certain things worth a damn. The carpet doesn't look like it has been cleaned after you're done, most because the brushes don't have enough contact with the carpet to move it around, which explains why the brushes are able to pick up dust, but not particles that are in plain sight. Sometimes I'd have to run over the same thing 10 times before it would finally pick it up. The vacuum the cleaning service uses now is much better, as I rarely ever use the dyson anymore.

This is not happening with my DC 14+. It's picking up everything in sight and the carpets look noticeably better. Maybe they have improved the design...?

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I am not a fran of carpeting, never gets truly clean, go dofrbid you spill something liquid and smells like a locker room immediately after you vacuum.

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

I borrowed a friend's uniball Dyson, but I'm not sure which model it is --- it's a few years old and purple. It was almost perfect, except for being slightly too heavy. The design of the thing and how everything fits and comes apart has definitely been given a lot of thought. It worked great on my carpet, but I had to remember to set the brushes to the carpet setting.

--Andre

11. Artisan Fan

I borrowed a friend's uniball Dyson, but I'm not sure which model it is --- it's a few years old and purple. It was almost perfect, except for being slightly too heavy. The design of the thing and how everything fits and comes apart has definitely been given a lot of thought. It worked great on my carpet, but I had to remember to set the brushes to the carpet setting.

--Andre

They have been working on the weight issue. We used to borrow our sister in law's vacuum and it was the older DC-14. The newer DC14+ has a canister lower to the ground which helps with the maneuverability a lot. The new handle is also improved.

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

So what is the best vacuum, best brand(s), and, best under 500?

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The newer "ball" vacuums are lighter too. Another plus for the Dyson is how well it works on non-carpeted surfaces.

14. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

@ Fran

Aren't stand-alone VCs aimed @ small timer market ?
    I should imagine for a guy who's into Krell, Mark Levinson and Lexicon-type gear to be using one of those semi-industrial models meant to be housed in the basement. Where every floor of the property boasts a dedicated port to which you simply attach a vacuum hose on a need-to basis. Instead of conventional bags, all the accumulated crap gets channeled downstairs and into dedicated vacuum storage in the basement.