• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese Cayenne

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
The handling aspect they've more or less gotten a grip on. What they struggle @ is combining firm, sporty handling with comfy ride. More so when the patch of rubber separating wheel from pavement gets thinner and thinner.

this is as gold as some of the comments that gets posted on MC. The Japanese literally taught the Europeans how to combine sporty handling with drivability.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because Jaguar, Aston Martin and Bently didn't have that nailed in the 60's.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Because Jaguar, Aston Martin and Bently didn't have that nailed in the 60's.

how far back do you want to trace to make your argument? Since the Europeans invented automobile as we know it, I won't have a counter argument for you, so please accept your victory.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
this is as gold as some of the comments that gets posted on MC. The Japanese literally taught the Europeans how to combine sporty handling with drivability.

Was that before they introduced Europeans to the concept of eating with a fork or after ?

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brown eyes
60 years ago when Japan started importing cars into the United States, they were considered pieces of sh*t.

20 years ago when Korea started importing cars into the United States, they were considered pieces of sh*t.

Look at them now.

Give the Chinese a few years, they'll catch up. The same goes for the Indians.

Chinese won't ever get where the Koreans and Japs are because the government is too involved in industry. It's like GM now. Plus the requirement that all foreign automakers enter into "joint ventures" with State-owned manufacturers means that the Chinese will never be able to think for themselves to make something interesting.

You will sooner see an auto industry come out of Taiwan than China.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
Chinese won't ever get where the Koreans and Japs are because the government is too involved in industry. It's like GM now. Plus the requirement that all foreign automakers enter into "joint ventures" with State-owned manufacturers means that the Chinese will never be able to think for themselves to make something interesting.

You will sooner see an auto industry come out of Taiwan than China.

The Chinese auto industry is in its infancy. However, it is startlingly large and advanced for how long it's been around.

The Taiwanese won't ever have an auto industry producing whole cars. To my knowledge, it's not part of any infrastructure planning the government does or something any large Taiwanese business could have competitive strength in.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brown eyes
Give the Chinese a few years, they'll catch up. The same goes for the Indians.

I don't quite recall Toyota or Kia ripping off the designs of other carmakers during their road to quality.

China may eventually build a quality car, but at the current time they're not exactly seen as building anything of lasting value in the auto industry. A buddy of mine is on assignment in China and his company makes car parts. He drives a Buick Lacrosse and I suspect it's because being in the industry, he knows the lay of the land and consequently he has very little confidence in the quality of the Chinese autos. They might improve in the future but for now he sees them as unsafe deathtraps (his words, not mine).

N.B. He's even started to drive like a native born Chinese, which is pretty damn scary.
laugh.gif

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The world needs cheap reliable 4 wheel transportations. For anyone here who has been to Asia, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America, people still use bicycles and mopeds. The only 4 wheelers are for industries (moving wood, grain, construction materials). If the Chinese can make a cheap, highly reliable solar powered vehicle in the next 10 years, they will fill these markets quickly, allowing fresh capital to reinvest in R & D to compete against Western makers for the North American and European markets. No one needs a Bentley or Lambo but just about everyone needs a basic car. European manufacturing relies so much on "pedigree" that they stop inventing. All of the recent tech. innovations in just about every industry come out of Japan and USA. Crash safety is really a luxury consideration for the market that these Chinese cars are intended for. Many of the world's roads aren't made to go 60mph so crashing in a Chinese car at 15mph will not be all that bad. As for IP infringements, give me a frigging break. These cars are not made to be "alternatives" to certain makers. You can't blame them for commercializing a dream. And believe it or not, all of the "Chinese rip-offs" are designed by Europeans to import it back to the home market for big bags of $$$.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sylax
You should tell to your friend that most of the cars in China are built in China. American and European brands included. He drives a deathtrap as the others do ...

Oh, I think he knows that his Buick isn't as made as well as a US made Buick. The GM joint venture that produced his Lacrosse at least gives one hope that the GM half of the venture can at least mitigate the poor quality of the Chinese half.

And who knows, he may be driving a Buick out of loyalty to his home country. It's not easy to buy American these days, but it can be done if one looks hard enough.

N.B. I'm hoping to travel to China to see my buddy again next year, as it's his last year on assignment to China. In 2009 he took me to see the Shanghai Auto Show, which was a real hoot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads