• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
nice, happy to hear it was worth the wait
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Obviously, I went to the wrong universities! Glad you had such a great tasting.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question for the group.

We've been invited to a dinner tomorrow night where the main course will be either truffle risotto or pasta with truffles. I've been instructed to bring wine, but something light that won't overpower the truffles. Unfortunately, fairly powerful wines are what I know best.

Can you please advise on what to bring? My preference is for red, around 30 € or less a bottle. French wines only (easier to find here).

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Black or white truffles?

If black, the standard pairing with black truffles is aged Burgundy, which should be easy to find, even though you might have to put up some cash for it.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
A mercury from de villaine would be my choice in this situation.
One of these, from Les Montots?

http://www.de-villaine.com/en/wines/...#/Vins?idVin=3
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Black or white truffles?

If black, the standard pairing with black truffles is aged Burgundy, which should be easy to find, even though you might have to put up some cash for it.

Price is not a huge obstacle. I believe it's black truffles. Do you have any particular recommendations?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Price is not a huge obstacle. I believe it's black truffles. Do you have any particular recommendations?
Well, I said aged Burgundy but there are some aged new world pinots that would be great with it. Matt and I had a bottle of 1999 Beaux Freres that I think would go great with black truffle pasta or risotto. That'd be probably 70-90 a bottle. For cheaper, you can find maybe a '99 Leroy Bourgogne from Kermit Lynch for like $35 I think. That wine is a little darker than most pinots, but it should pair very well. I just had a bottle last week and it is drinking very well right now.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
One of these, from Les Montots?

http://www.de-villaine.com/en/wines/...#/Vins?idVin=3

Yes, that is the one. I really like their wines, even the "Bourgogne" labelled ones. They are elegant and go very well with cheese and truffles, two foods that are not so dissimilar w/r/t wine. They are also well priced, and while it may not be a necessity for your dinner, I always prefer to find something reasonable than otherwise.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think I might actually be wined out.

I hope this is not a permanent situation.
frown.gif

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think I might actually be wined out.

I hope this is not a permanent situation.
frown.gif

That's why I drank beer all summer
laugh.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yes, that is the one. I really like their wines, even the "Bourgogne" labelled ones. They are elegant and go very well with cheese and truffles, two foods that are not so dissimilar w/r/t wine. They are also well priced, and while it may not be a necessity for your dinner, I always prefer to find something reasonable than otherwise.

Thanks, this is a big help.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, feeling a little better. Recovering enough to head out for dinner at least and am thinking of wine pairing with my duck leg confit on Saturday. Crisp, mineral white? Sound good?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads