• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The official LVC thread***

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBradshaw
Im thinking about buying a pair of 1947 501xx's and was wondering, does the advice to go up two sizes in the waist still hold true or is it better to now only go up one size in the waist instead? I don't want to look through this entire thread for the answer. Thanks guys for all your help.

So you want to spend a lot of money on a pair of jeans that you are going to use for a long time, but you are too lazy to read back a couple of pages or at least press the search button?

Makes me want to help you even more.

You should try downsizing by 3 or 4 sizes like you do on your APC's..

tooshay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simontuntelder
Makes me want to help you even more.
Settle down. MBradshaw: I sized up one with mine and they're lovely. I could have potentially gone TTS, too, but would have ended up a bit tight for my liking.

Cid

Reaction score
Anyone care to guess what year these might be? Yoox descriptions are pitifully vague. I have been looking around for some raw 47s or 55s in 36x34, but will give these washed pair a shot for <$100.

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cid
Anyone care to guess what year these might be? Yoox descriptions are pitifully vague. I have been looking around for some raw 47s or 55s in 36x34, but will give these washed pair a shot for <$100.

Rather horrible orange tab jeans. Not sure which model. 615 maybe.

They do not match any "real" LVC jeans in terms of quality.

Cid

Reaction score
Thanks for catching that... I didn't zoom in on the back pocket before placing the order. Just called to cancel it.

allreds

Reaction score
What not to buy to save money on 1873 Ducks.

Don't buy anything from River Junction, ever.

I was aware of the 20% restocking fee at their discretion on refunds. What that actually means is that it's a mandatory fee. I'm willing to eat $30 (the 20% plus the $12 in shipping - for the $6 mailing cost they incurred and that I'll spend to get them back there) to get these the hell out of my home.

They look good enough. Not spectacular, but very nice for the price.

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

But I wouldn't buy these if I saw them for $3 in a thrift store.

The pocket bags are really thin.

DSC_0202.jpg

But who really cares about such a small detail.

How about the buttons. They're barely sewn on, and make a dime look thick.

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

Those thin buttons are pretty sharp, and are likely to shred through the badly sewn buttonholes before too long.

DSC_0216.jpg

Worst of all is the weight. They felt pretty light right out of the envelope (yep, they didn't even use a box), but I didn't expect them to be this thin.

DSC_0207.jpg

They're pure garbage. I hope that, by posting this, none of you will ever feel the need to buy from River Junction.

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
I think you are posting this in the wrong thread. Although you are of course more than welcome to share your view om them, but it should be clarified that they are not LVC.

They are NOT LVC
smile.gif

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
If someone here has a strange body type or a nice wifey that needs som spoiling (don't spare the rod of course)

Then these may be worth a look

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-LEVIS-70...item43a298a8bc

Have you seen these before, Paul? I haven't. But I assume they are a 40's (painted arcuate) women repro (number 701 and pink selvage), right?

They could be fake for all I know, but I'm guessing they aren't.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
It's been a fantastic time for fans of really old jeans, with Mike Harris's discoveries of early Levi's history, plus repros of chouce items like the Elfelt pants. Now here's another one whcih I think ranks up with them.

Levi's files are notoriously incomplete, thanks to the fire that followed the 1906 earthquake. But some time ago they discovered paperwork for a pair of pantaloons with reinforced crotch and knees, in a design a little like a cross between the 501 and the Spring Bottom pants. I heard rumours some time ago there would be a repro. Yesterday I looked in at the LVC dealer showroom and saw the production version. It's a thing of beauty.

p1080621f.jpg

p1080622.jpg

AS you can see, the front pockets are slanted and curved, in that lovely spring bottom, BOTR, Edwardian style.

p1080617.jpg

p1080620b.jpg

But there's a single back pocket

p1080615y.jpg

Correct rivets! And the early, widely spaced top pocket hem

p1080616l.jpg

it has that lovely, moustache-shaped, Edwardian back we've seen on the spring bottom

p1080619h.jpg

WHile the crotch, and knees are reinforced. It looks like calico, I forgot to ask.
p1080618e.jpg

Sorry for the mediiocre photos, I should have taken detailed photos of the cinch and knee construction, but was getting pressed for time.

I confess a weakness for this style of jeans, because it's different from the typical 55 repro we see worldwide; along with the closed top jumper, I think this signals a new resurgence in LVC.

Not all of these products will sell in huge numbers, given they're so esoteric, but they clearly show their intentions are serious. The fabrics I've seen look great too, it seems Cone have been improving it with each new batch. The detailing on these is maybe the best ive seen on LVC repros of early jeans.

These 1878 pantaloons will retail for the same price as the existing dry pants - and if you look at the competition, I reckon they're damn well worth it.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
If someone here has a strange body type or a nice wifey that needs som spoiling (don't spare the rod of course)

Then these may be worth a look

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-LEVIS-70...item43a298a8bc

Have you seen these before, Paul? I haven't. But I assume they are a 40's (painted arcuate) women repro (number 701 and pink selvage), right?

They could be fake for all I know, but I'm guessing they aren't.

Simon, only just seen these, but they are legit. A strange shape, though, these jeans, very high waist and tapered. THese were about the first Levi's jeans to use Sanforized fabric. The original Lady LEvi's can be found v cheap, I've seen 50s unwashed examples for around £100 when the comparable 501 would be eight times the price.

Simontuntelder

Reaction score

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Mor info on the Elfelt jeans, please. I am looking up SUFU, right now, but a quick sum up would be great.
These are made by Rising Sun, some of whose early repros, especially their duck items, are amazing. I don't know too many details about the denim, I know at one point some of them were Sanforized, which doesn't really fit the vibe, but they have some great items. HEre's a wear pic and then some, from the SuFu Rising Sun thread . Now who was the guy on here who doesn't like baggy fits??? http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...&postcount=222

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Paul, Those reinforced pantaloons look like the originals featured in the patent application. I'm willing to bet this is what Jacob Davis was making prior to applying for the patent with LS, yes? Depending on the inseam length, I'd be very interested in a pair...
rivets.jpg

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Yup, they do. I believe the reinforced pair are based on a patent in Levi's files that was recently printed in Mike Harris's book, it's a less detailed pic but the same style. Il'll post a pic soon if no one else does. Glad you like them, you've always had good taste (which could simply mean i like the same things you do).

Not sure about inseam length... it will at least be easy to alter these, as they predate the chainstitched hem.

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pablo-T
Yup, they do. I believe the reinforced pair are based on a patent in Levi's files that was recently printed in Mike Harris's book, it's a less detailed pic but the same style. Il'll post a pic soon if no one else does. Glad you like them, you've always had good taste (which could simply mean i like the same things you do).

Not sure about inseam length... it will at least be easy to alter these, as they predate the chainstitched hem.

But then you have to find an old - possibly - Singer or Union Special cirka 1850-1880 to replicate the stitches... And you need cotton thread too...

SIGH
laugh.gif

Hemming is a biatch

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads