• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hiking/backpacking

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Great pics. A jindabomb that was appreciated.

limester816

Reaction score
great shots man. ive been wanting to see the cascades my whole life... maybe if i end up at UW for grad school i'll get to hang out there.

i'm making 3 trips in the next 2 months... mt fitzroy (just backpacking around, now climbing...yet) in argentina, torres del paine in chile, and a trip to the lakes district in southern chile as well...

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
4810764884_9ca1b4ae17_b.jpg

I just busted a nut.

Apart of the PCH? How you guys resupply?

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No not the pch, we never got on the pch. Mostly off-trail, only in wilderness areas (pasayten). This is actually a runway used during WWII, the last time it was used was in 1947.

We got resupplied every 10 days. We would hike to the road-head and pick up the food for the next 10 days. About 20lbs of food for everyone to carry. Packs weighed 40-50lbs, after the resupply.

The cascades were beautiful! The off-trail travel was very rough though, woods were thick in areas and river crossings were frequent. 33 degree glacial melt is not fun when it touches your nuts, and our boots stayed wet the whole trips. I actually experienced nerve damage on my toes (crocs were my camp shoes and they didnt go well with snow) and they stayed numb for 3 months after the course was over. It was definitely worth everything though. NOLS is a great organization, they know what they are doing. I would recommend everyone take a course. I want to go back so bad..

Glad everyone enjoyed the pictures!! I got more if you want
laugh.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
No not the pch, we never got on the pch. Mostly off-trail, only in wilderness areas (pasayten). This is actually a runway used during WWII, the last time it was used was in 1947.

We got resupplied every 10 days. We would hike to the road-head and pick up the food for the next 10 days. About 20lbs of food for everyone to carry. Packs weighed 40-50lbs, after the resupply.

The cascades were beautiful! The off-trail travel was very rough though, woods were thick in areas and river crossings were frequent. 33 degree glacial melt is not fun when it touches your nuts, and our boots stayed wet the whole trips. I actually experienced nerve damage on my toes (crocs were my camp shoes and they didnt go well with snow) and they stayed numb for 3 months after the course was over. It was definitely worth everything though. NOLS is a great organization, they know what they are doing. I would recommend everyone take a course. I want to go back so bad..

Glad everyone enjoyed the pictures!! I got more if you want
laugh.gif

Um yea post more, definitely.

Did you ever overcome the nerve damage?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
You guys are making me jealous!

I just booked a trip to Smoky Mountain National Park. I hope the leaves are still in full color by the time I get there (in 2 weeks or so). Looking forward to getting out of the city and back into the woods.

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pt. 2

One of the instructors had to camp out under a rock. A blizzard left us from the other half of our group overnight, so we were down 2 tents. 6 people in a 3 person tent is not fun.
4809228293_841aedc735_b.jpg

4810088154_433a7c35d3_b.jpg

frozen boots
plain.gif

4810366992_46c7e75e2e_b.jpg

4809767269_fe3f6f9f00_b.jpg

the burn
4810426354_46d5753112_b.jpg

4810554164_8a74e2412d_b.jpg

4810607380_98ba665d30_b.jpg

The kitchen, thats Canada in the background.
4810017067_590be736b1_b.jpg

4810650958_0fd7cde0ef_b.jpg

4810111011_e8ff31a001_b.jpg

4810131941_3d525ce967_b.jpg

Thats the other half of our group
4810802482_93c53c4d68_b.jpg

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
You guys are making me jealous!

I just booked a trip to Smoky Mountain National Park. I hope the leaves are still in full color by the time I get there (in 2 weeks or so). Looking forward to getting out of the city and back into the woods.

I was in that area 2 weeks ago, it was peak or even past peak color in the higher elevations. It might still be looking good in the lower elevations though.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is really making me want to get outdoors some more. Love all the pics and I'm really impressed with the amazing photography.

Those Sedona to Bryce pics sure brought back some memories. I absolutely love that area.

Now that this thread has inspired me a bit, I think on Monday I'll do some local hiking. I keep passing some trails through Laguna Canyon on the way to Laguna Beach that I'll research a bit and check out on Monday.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok so I did some research and I plan on going to the Laguna Canyon Wilderness Park. It has a bunch of different trails winding through the canyons. I haven't really hiked much and this is nothing like the hikes in this thread, but I figure it'd be nice to get out for the day and explore. I'm thinking I'll probably do a couple different trails and end up covering around 5-10 miles. I'm in pretty good physical shape and work out/play sports regularly so I don't think the hiking part will be that difficult. I just don't know what I'd need for a few hours worth of hiking.

I'm thinking I'll definitely bring water and apply sunscreen. I want to pack lightly so was thinking about just a bottle of water and foregoing a backpack. As I am new to this and it's just a few hour thing, is there really anything besides water, camera, and a protein bar that I should bring with me? I'll probably just be going by myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads