• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hiking/backpacking

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Noice!

I need to look into a stove and some headlamps. Maybe in the new year, when we're doing more remote and longer trails.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The headlamp really helped us on our last hike. Due to my injured knee, and not wanting to quit early we spent more time on the trail then we had originally anticipated. On our way back the sun had set and it was very dark on the trail. The headlamp definitely saved the day, especially when considering how tough the terrain was.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That's why I want to get us a couple of head lamps. We don't plan to be out in the dark, but when **** happens, it's all about being able to handle what you didn't plan.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of what you carry is like condoms: it's better to have one and not need it, than need one and have a ******* kid 9 months later. Or something like that....

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
A lot of what you carry is like condoms: it's better to have one and not need it, than need one and have a ******* kid 9 months later. Or something like that....

Better to have a chaingun and not need it, than to encounter an intergalactic space hunter, intent on making your skull into an ashtray, and not have one.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why they made this

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
That's why they made this

Nice. I wonder if a Remington would fit in there.
smile.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I wasn't thinking of a glock. More something like this:

wwjesse.jpg

Mountain lions would **** their pants. If they wore pants.

Real men wrassle lions down and force them to wear pants.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pio, do you bring all that crap on just day hikes or is that your overnight kit?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Real men wrassle lions down and force them to wear pants.

That's no man. It's a Sexual Tyrannosaurus.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Pio, do you bring all that crap on just day hikes or is that your overnight kit?

Don't bring the tarp...yet. Once we find some good spots to spend a few hours before hiking out again, I'll bring that too.

It's not a lot of weight to carry. I mean, what did I mention? A knife, a couple of blankets, and my hydration bladder, along with a few items for emergency first aide. Even the whole tarp set up weighs in at a whopping three pounds.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's really not a lot of stuff at all.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realized I didn't own a backpack (well besides a huge old WWII one and a Shimano one made specifically for fishing that I have fully loaded with freshwater gear) and as my brother is going with me tomorrow as well, I borrowed one of his. Loaded it up with 6 water bottles and everything else, and I didn't like the feel of it at all. The backpack is an old Jansport style one used for school and is just too big and bulky for what I need. Plus the weight felt awkward with the water bottles shifting around.

So I just got back from Dicks Sporting Goods and got one of those camelbak backpacks with the hydration system in it. I figure I could use it for biking, fishing up in Bishop which I'll do in a few months, and other stuff as well. Picked up a first aid kit while I was there and loaded everything up. Much better.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Edit: An idea from the above posts. What does everyone hike with/what equipment do you have? List all, from tents to camp stoves knives.

Dayhike (summer) kit:

- Osprey Talon 44 pack (note: I don't recommend this pack unless you need the attachment points for ice axes, ice/rock helmet and similar climbing gear. There are cheaper packs that can perform just as well). Osprey UL pack cover keeps things dry in the rain.

- First aid kit (I forget the brand, but it's one of those fast and light ones from REI).

- Mountain Hardwear Quark shell jacket (10 ounces! Durability is a concern as mine is starting to wear through on the kidney panel. However, not many shell jackets this light have pit zips and a Napoleon pocket.)

- Marmot rain pants

- Outdoor Research base layer shirt (zipper front for ventilation). Basically equivalent to a 200 weight fleece shirt.

- Garmin Rino (GPS and radio combo unit). Sits in the GPS pouch that comes with the Osprey Talon pack.

- Platypus hydration system with bite valve cover. The latter is more valuable than you think. I can't count the times I've taken off my pack, slung it in the dirt and then realized that my bite valve is now sitting in the dust.
facepalm.gif

- Spyderco Endura or Delica folding knife. If I need to baton or chop then I'll take my Swamp Rat Howling Rat LM.

- Black Diamond Spot headlamp. Splash and spot modes, plus strobe for emergencies.

- Mountain Hardwear vented boonie hat. Keeps the sun off my neck but also has a mesh strip for ventilation. I have an Outdoor Research non-vented waterproof boonie but that only comes out during heavy rain. The MH hat does a surprisingly good job of keeping your head dry.

- Serius gloves. Not completely waterproof but they are windproof.

- Food and water. Lunch is usually a MRE entree. "Kitchen" utensils include a Brunton titanium spork and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. Plastic bag to pack out the MRE retort pouch ... and to pack out the trash that others leave behind.

- Butane lighter. Zippos are windproof but the fuel evaporates over time. I had a Brunton torch lighter but those are prohibited by the FAA so I just bring a regular Bic.

- Gerber Vise micro multi-tool

- Ziploc baggie with toilet paper and a length of natural fiber twine. The twine doubles as cordage and tinder; you unravel the cord and it's a great little firestarter as it is very shapeable. I started a fire using the friction method using twine as tinder. The ziploc keeps it try.

- Black Diamond Cork Alpine Carbon hiking poles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads