• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not very adept at eyewear. What's a good brand for someone with a large head/face?

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nightic
Probably leaving a few out but in no particular order here are the stores that I found most useful:

Panoptica (N10)
Schuller Opticians (WC1N)
Roger Pope (W1G)
Santro & Peche (W4)
Iris Optical (SE1)
Michel Guillon (SW1E)

fantastic..thanks. if i discover any more, i'll let you know..but i'm going to struggle to get to all the ones you've suggested

vinasity

Reaction score
Hello CC, I will soon be getting my first pair of prescription sunglasses and have some questions about the tints of the lenses. I have picked out the new Ray-ban Wayfarer in tortoise and I am not sure what color lens to get. I am thinking about blue lenses but is there any major pros/cons with blue or is it just fashionable, or should I stick to gray or brown? TIA

yodawg

Reaction score
dunno about the new ones but my tortoise pair from the 80's were grey-green. just in case you want to stick with trad colorways.

jakt

Reaction score
There are a lot of good-looking glasses in this thread, but none of them really fit my face. I visited a few different opticians and tried on a lot of glasses. Finally I decided to get these Kilsgaard glasses. They may look a bit boring on the picture but they work great with my face. I like their minimalistic design. Timeless, yet modern.
kilsgaard.jpg

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi city connection,

Do you know where i can get a pair of glasses that are red havana (color)? and have a similar shape to sheldrakes for around 200 dollars?

Thanks,

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Milano
Hi city connection,

Do you know where i can get a pair of glasses that are red havana (color)? and have a similar shape to sheldrakes for around 200 dollars?

Thanks,

If you want those rivets, look into the Raybans. If you want the keyhole bridges, something that is conservatively priced would be Prodesign. Spectacle Eyeworks Retro has one almost identical to that but without the rivets.

But those 2 features are quite popular right now.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakt
There are a lot of good-looking glasses in this thread, but none of them really fit my face. I visited a few different opticians and tried on a lot of glasses. Finally I decided to get these Kilsgaard glasses. They may look a bit boring on the picture but they work great with my face. I like their minimalistic design. Timeless, yet modern.

kilsgaard.jpg

Kilsgaard are great frames. Aluminum, relatively light, thick, textured and great industrial look to them. Only concern is that from what I recall, the temples are not adjustable which makes them a great frame on the right face or a terrible frame on the wrong face.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity
Hello CC, I will soon be getting my first pair of prescription sunglasses and have some questions about the tints of the lenses. I have picked out the new Ray-ban Wayfarer in tortoise and I am not sure what color lens to get. I am thinking about blue lenses but is there any major pros/cons with blue or is it just fashionable, or should I stick to gray or brown? TIA

How high is your RX? If you are going with a high index lens, if you ask for grey, your lenses will come out slightly blue. I don't know if you want sky blue, but you can achieve a dark blue if a high index lens.

Raybans are well known for their G15 lenses though (grey/green).

In a tortoise frame, I would suggest brown. It will be a good match with the frame. Both the browns will play well with each other.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
How much can quality differ with acetate/plastic frames?? I mean it's just plastic with a hinge. http://www.warbyparker.com/ This looked kinda cool.
The difference is how well they can be adjusted. To the naked eye, they may all look the same but a good quality acetate will be able to be heated and molded into the shape to fit your face. With cheaper molds of other materials, they will pop back into the original shape even after adjusting them. Also, the hinges come in all different sorts of designs and strengths. The more the manufacture pays for the hinge, chances are they will be stronger. This translates to longer use of the frames and less grief. So in short, yes they do make a difference.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakt

kilsgaard.jpg

I am wearing a kilsgaard frame right now and they are so rigid, yet light and have a more substantial look to them compared to regular aluminium frames.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads