• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Hit the Goodwill outlet today. Not sure if they are all like this but they just have bins full of random stuff all over the place. Digging through one I find a suede jacket. Lo and behold, it's a Polo suede hunting jacket. Must weigh 5 lbs. Here is a pic, what do you think?

rjfjtd.jpg

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Wow, you're on a roll! It's always a huge bonus to find the nice stuff in your size, too!

Things are eerily abundant right now. I hit one shop that had 2 Oxxfords and 4-5 Polo suits in my size. She wanted $39.99 each for them and I just couldn't justify that much out lay right now. I know; talk about spoiled. She also has a solid navy SB 40R Rubbinacci that looked pristine but it was ventless. I'm thinking I could get enough for that one on eBay to pay for the stuff I want from her and this weekend's haul. Not sure I want to invest $39.99 up front for it if you guys don't think it'll turn much of a profit.

Opinions, please
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by Larson McCord
Hit the Goodwill outlet today. Not sure if they are all like this but they just have bins full of random stuff all over the place. Digging through one I find a suede jacket. Lo and behold, it's a Polo suede hunting jacket. Must weigh 5 lbs. Here is a pic, what do you think?

rjfjtd.jpg

worship.gif
That will never go out of style. Outstanding!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Saturday my wife and I went to a part of town we don't usually visit. I found an Invertere coat that was lovely but too 'vintage' for me, and a Grenfell trench that I simply didn't need. I scored a handful of ties though - BB Makers heavy silk twill, Drakes, and a Celine Paris which has merry-go-round horses on it - great fun. Sunday I went into a couple of shops near home and got a pair of Cheaney suede loafers in my size. They had the first pair of Santoni FAM I've seen, and I was going to buy them until I noticed a jagged cut down the vamp of one shoe...
plain.gif
Roll on Wednesday, when I'm hoping to visit a couple of the better-stocked shops.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rjfjtd.jpg

Very nice. A classic piece.
How does it fit?

rubin749

Reaction score
I picked up a Super Vigugna "the Best Young Goat" woman's coat this weekend for $4.39 - it was on the men's rack. There are no tags except for the brand name, but I assume it is vicuna based on the name, and the obvious quality of the material, which is very soft and seems like it would be incredibly warm.

The coat is in pretty good condition except that the lining is torn up. It's a well-constructed coat, with huge MOP buttons, though they are a feminine style.

What should I do with it?

Chillax

Reaction score
This afternoon i hit a few stores and got:

Versace "Medusa" tie-looks never worn
A tie by "CharterClub"-never heard of the brand but has thick silk and an attractive geometric pattern in pink and blue
A plaid overshirt by Woolrich-looks never worn
Medium green corduroy pants by RL Polo
Wool scarf, German made, in a nice gold shade

Total damage: $9. I love 50% off days.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

alexei

Reaction score

rjfjtd.jpg

Others can chime in as to the accuracy of this price with this particular model, but about seven years ago I looked at buying a very similar suede Polo RL coat that retailed for $1,000. I'm sure the price has gone up since.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei
Others can chime in as to the accuracy of this price with this particular model, but about seven years ago I looked at buying a very similar suede Polo RL coat that retailed for $1,000. I'm sure the price has gone up since.

I was hoping to hear something like that
smile.gif
I googled Polo suede jacket and could not find anything similar.

And yes it fits me very well!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rjfjtd.jpg

This is an amazing find for a Goodwill outlet. I've never been to the outlet here in Minnesota, but I've always assumed it was just the junk that sat in the retail stores for a good 3 weeks until it hit 1/2 off week and still didn't sell. Maybe I should swing by one day and see if my assumptions are correct. From what I've heard, everything is mixed up in big carts with no real rhyme or reason to them, so it takes a lot of digging.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
This is an amazing find for a Goodwill outlet. I've never been to the outlet here in Minnesota, but I've always assumed it was just the junk that sat in the retail stores for a good 3 weeks until it hit 1/2 off week and still didn't sell. Maybe I should swing by one day and see if my assumptions are correct. From what I've heard, everything is mixed up in big carts with no real rhyme or reason to them, so it takes a lot of digging.

That is what it is here too. This one is next door to a Value Village that has good stuff pretty often. For a while I never went in there but a few weeks ago I ventured in and found a nice pair of Mezlan shoes that I flipped on Ebay. I had some free time last week so I dug around for a while. I'm not sure how they decide what goes there but as with all thrifts, 98% of the stuff is terrible. I don't have the patience to make this a regular stop, I just got really lucky this time.

aridhol

Reaction score
I picked up a samuelsohn sportcoat from the salvation army that seems to fit me.
I have no idea the age/value/etc... I paid $20CAD for it.

Please critique the fit and find
smile.gif

samuel1.jpg
samuel2.jpg

label1.jpg
label2.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks a bit old judging from the label and gorge/lapel and the lack of a rear vent (though they still make ventless jackets today, they were very popular in the 90s and very early 2000s). I'd guess it's from around the mid 90s? I personally would have passed on it, but the fit on you is pretty much spot on.

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aridhol
I picked up a samuelsohn sportcoat from the salvation army that seems to fit me.
I have no idea the age/value/etc... I paid $20CAD for it.

Please critique the fit and find
smile.gif

samuel1.jpg
samuel2.jpg

label1.jpg
label2.jpg

It seems to fit you well and it seems a good buy to me considering the choices that we have in Canada.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score

I went to my local outlet a couple months back and it was a harrowing experience. Bins of broken kid's board games mixed indiscriminately with broken shards of tacky glassware contributed to a general feeling of danger... as did packed crowds of animal-like "customers" who made it virtually impossible to even fit in most of the isles.

I don't think I could stomach going back. Hard to judge anything like this from only a single visit, but it seemed like this store operated by putting out all the stuff that never even get's deemed worth for local Goodwill stores, due to being completely ******* broken, complete garbage, or both.

In other news, I wish I was having the luck I've been seeing on here lately, but at least it is inspiring.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rubin749
What should I do with it?

Give it to your wife, gf, mom, sister,...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads