1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Not as cool as the above Florsheim's, but I picked up an oddball pair of shoes. They are made by Gordon & Bros. appear to be made in Germany. They look to have been worn a couple times. Retail over in Europe translates to about $150.00 US. I paid $4.50 for them. What impressed me is they have a thick leather sole.

They look like this but on a lighter brown:

http://translate.google.com/translat...26prmd%3Divnsb

Pictures of the shoes after some conditioning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow - even at $150 retail, those look like one helluva shoe. Nice score!

3. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Wow - even at $150 retail, those look like one helluva shoe. Nice score!

These might be the best shoes I've ever thrifted for under $5.00 (save the Vintage adidas Haillet/Stan Smith's). I found the company's website. It appears they produce a range of shoes from entry level to better made. Based and the model number they are an older shoe. I think they may be Goodyear welted.

http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns

4. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Edwin Clapp captoe balmorals, size 9.5.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Wow great day for me personally in terms of streetwear. Got a dress belt, some RL jeans, 514 Corduroys, some random armani jeans that are pretty unique, a NWT J. Crew Blazer that fits me perfectly, a leather messenger bag (nothing too crazy but I'll get pics up later), a ferragamo tie, a pair of vintage Aviators, anther pair of Gucci glasses in the same line of the last ones I found (these are a bit darker), and finally some really really sick Italian made boots, gonna post pics up later to see if anyone knows about them but they are by someone called Cesare J., its their Homme line, not really sure who but the quality feels good, leather feels nice and supple still. It fits me, although it rubs my pinky toe since my pinky is kind of awkward. Usually i'm a size 9.5, these are Italian size 8 so around 9 but the length is fine. Wanna get some pics up ASAP for you all as I think they may be a find that I don't know about yet.

Passed on some Paul Smith jeans (34), and other things. Also, there were some RLPL Linen white pants, 36". Normally I would've bought them for someone up here but not too many people wear linen pants plus I already told someone up here that I think fits them so they may have grabbed them, but if I see them tomorrow and anyone is interested I can grab them. I would've loved them for myself personally, but I know white and linen on pants don't fly with a lot of people.

6. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I'm guessing it'll need taking in too? Does anyone have any idea how much those three alterations should cost?

edit: double post, sorry didn't realize no one else had replied

7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

8. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Nice pickups today. 3 Zegna and 1 Brioni tie. Will probably throw all of these on the B&S forum since they're not really my style. [​IMG] [​IMG] Also found a pair of black Zanella wool in really nice condition. And a brand new unhemmed pair of navy blue Jil Sander pants that were made of cotton, nylon and spandex. Both just need a few slight alterations and will be good to go. Paid $9 total for both pairs of pants.

9. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

10. amadar

amadar Senior member

NWT Vineyard Vines. This thing is so money!!

[​IMG]

11. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

NWT Vineyard Vines. This thing is so money!!

[​IMG]

No...literally....it's money! [​IMG]

12. contrarycomet

contrarycomet Member

Pretty good weekend. Lots of bits and pieces, but the highlights were:

* Older Burberry DB trench coat.
    * Zegna for Wilkes Bashford SC. Includes a label that says "Centoventimila" -- I think this refers to the fabric, but anyone know for sure?

13. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Some pics of today's haul. Anyone know anything about the boots? Also, dunno about the briefcase but i'm really starting to feel it, leather isn't the best but it's definitely not too bad, seems relatively old yet there's no cracking or creasing, bought this before I almost ended up buying a fake coach messenger bag later in the day. Glare sucks I know, and I haven't yet had a chance to clean either of these up but I'm still liking both already. Two of the glasses are from the other day. Edit: Lol, I saw the harry potter book in the background and realized it had been almost ten years when i was in middle school since I read that, I didn't even know what a forum was at the time.

14. meister

meister Senior member

15. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Re: k4lnamja's post on proper lacing
    I tend to prefer the over/under for bluchers, and straight bar for balmorals. Weird that I even notice this stuff now, but I do really like the over/under on bluchers.

16. Expressions Realia

Expressions Realia Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I love the case man. The aged leather makes it look better. All for the vintage feel. Nice boots as well, a great day for you I bet!

17. 951socal

951socal Senior member

2 QUiCK questions on brands:

Tombolini suit, worth $40?
    looks brand new, but yoox is only selling it for $185 so im not sure if its worth much at all. or v nice.

Zanella
    I see this brand alot, IDK if its worth picking up either.
    (sold at nordstroms but IDK )

18. acl1

acl1 Senior member

tombolini suit sounds pretty good at that price. IIRC I've seen several suits made with loro piana fabric that were decently constructed in like 2005 or 2006.

zanella pants are great, some of my most comfortable (yet generously cut) pants, but they can be had for cheap. i'd get them for $50 or less, more likely less, especially if they're part of the platinum line.

19. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

... I'm taken by the idea of a teacosy, I was going to make some...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/sawtoothlacing.htm

Cleaner look. Tighter shoe.

[​IMG]

Some people have WAY too much free time.

20. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

I love the case man. The aged leather makes it look better. All for the vintage feel. Nice boots as well, a great day for you I bet!

Yea I'm loving the case, I'm gonna do some light cleaning and get a little cream on the edges where it's aged a bit, but I really feel the look.

I'm also thinking about having my pinky toe broken (not just to fit those shoes lol), because, as I've said in the thread, my pinky bends at an awkward angle (to the side) and always has since I was a kid, never affected me when I ran track or hurdles or anything, but recently it's gotten a bit worse as I've worn shoes that fit me as they should (ironically enough a lifetime of wearing slightly ill fitting shoes probably helped to mitigate the issue) which is slightly tighter than I used to but far more comfortable and better looking besides the soreness that results from my right pinky toe rubbing against the shoe. Thankfully most of these shoes I've recently picked up have been high quality so the leather isn't too rough, but it's definitely going to need to be handled, wondering if anyone else has had their pinky toes broken and reset, I hear it's a pretty simple procedure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.