1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

The other day I did find that Wilkes Bashford jacket I mentioned earlier, and snapped a quick pic of the labels this time. A little light Googling didn't turn up much, so I don't know. The jacket was trashed in any event, but it was definitely a little maddening to see it.

[​IMG]

2. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

Yea I'm loving the case, I'm gonna do some light cleaning and get a little cream on the edges where it's aged a bit, but I really feel the look.

I'm also thinking about having my pinky toe broken (not just to fit those shoes lol), because, as I've said in the thread, my pinky bends at an awkward angle (to the side) and always has since I was a kid, never affected me when I ran track or hurdles or anything, but recently it's gotten a bit worse as I've worn shoes that fit me as they should (ironically enough a lifetime of wearing slightly ill fitting shoes probably helped to mitigate the issue) which is slightly tighter than I used to but far more comfortable and better looking besides the soreness that results from my right pinky toe rubbing against the shoe. Thankfully most of these shoes I've recently picked up have been high quality so the leather isn't too rough, but it's definitely going to need to be handled, wondering if anyone else has had their pinky toes broken and reset, I hear it's a pretty simple procedure.

Better idea: just get it chopped off. I mean, who needs a pinky toe anyway?? Also, you could then snag up all the deals on the narrow shoes that the vast majority of full grown men can't fit into absent some horrendous binding procedure. see....win-win

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Hm - I didn't know the style was dated. I do actually prefer vented, but have always liked 3-button jackets, mostly because the first hand-me-down I got from my dad was a 3-button tweed.

The jacket and the coat both have room to let the sleeves out. I guess the coat is supposed to be kind of a "sack" style, but I still figure I should take the sides in some - yes?

Ya, thats some seriously dated Canali c '92-ish. I seem them regularly and its an instant pass.

You might consider giving it to someone. I had a similar Corneliani, Armani and Canali Proposta that I gave to a dude working on my house... guy was so appreciative you wouldnt believe it. He even kept one of the jackets on when he left. Productivity and quality increased for the rest of the time he worked for me.

4. Hages

Hages Well-Known Member

A couple first picks for me:
    Luciano Barbera navy cotton pants w/suspender buttons
    Incotex cream chinos...perfect fit and length!
    AE Hancocks black 11D at an estate sale(FS)
    Brioni cord pants 40R (FS)

[​IMG]

Does this YSL shirt label look fake to you?
    [​IMG]

I'll admit we can be snobby on labels but I see some nice pants from:
    Made in Italy by Kirkland
    Dockers
    Alfani(Macys)

What is the opinion on these lesser brands w/ apparently decent fabric and build?

I do see a fair share of Brook Brothers shirts and slacks. They still are valued?

5. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Not sure the tie goes with the shirt, but I just got them home and wanted to try them on.
    [​IMG]

The article I like most is that shirt.

6. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

The article I like most is that shirt.

Depending on your size, I've one that looks exactly like that from J Press. 16.5 x 34? 35? I forgot.
    Let me know as I'll be putting it up on B&S soon

Cheers

7. Hages

Hages Well-Known Member

@Hages
    Cord Eddie Bauer jacket that is stiff and minty!

LOL. SF Goodwill flagship? If so, I saw that jacket last week but couldn't hang with the lapels. Glad that someone who cares snagged it!

c

Yep! I gonna steam press those lapels up a touch! [​IMG]

The Goodwill flagship can be a bore to go thru. Generally they have plenty of orphaned suit jackets and few and far between suits. The shirt selection though is massive.

8. rfd515

rfd515 Member

Pair of beater vintage florsheim's, $2 [​IMG]

9. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior member

First suit pick ups today: - Not SF approved, slim lapels, but brand new: Zara Navy suit. I've been looking for a navy suit and at 7 bucks for brand new, had to get it. - Canali double vented beige suit: should fit my brother, we'll see if he wants it. 52(42) - Zegna shirt: 16 my brother's size - Oxxford orphaned coat: 38 fits my dad, great color - few pants for myself, nothing spectacular Passed on: - Zegna tusseto SC, 44 i think it was. - 2 Corneliani SC, non-vented:54 (44?) - Chiavari suit, 42 - some Zanella pants Help me judge a fit, I posted one earlier, I'm just trying to figure out my size in oxxford. A or B? I feel like I'm in the middle. For A, what bothers me is that the shoulders are bit small, making the pad really jump out, although not as apparent in the picture. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

The Goodwill flagship can be a bore to go thru. Generally they have plenty of orphaned suit jackets and few and far between suits. The shirt selection though is massive.

Good lord is it ever. I also think they only rarely prune the jackets, for some reason. There're a few that I swear have been there for months, now.

11. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Found a MINT Loro Piana deer skin leather, cashmere lined coat. by mint i mean doent look to have ever been worn. Also got a pair of Polo by C&J chestnut colored captoes, but theyre 11.5D so ill have to find them a loving home since im a 13. Debating wether or not to keep the coat. Pics coming soon.

Holy shit a jacket not as cool as this one and appears to have been worn sold for 1800 bucks on ebay! I dont like it that much LOL!! To the bay it goes.

12. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Depending on your size, I've one that looks exactly like that from J Press. 16.5 x 34? 35? I forgot. Let me know as I'll be putting it up on B&S soon Cheers
    unfortunately i'm something like a 15/31

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Found a MINT Loro Piana deer skin leather, cashmere lined coat. by mint i mean doent look to have ever been worn. Also got a pair of Polo by C&J chestnut colored captoes, but theyre 11.5D so ill have to find them a loving home since im a 13. Debating wether or not to keep the coat. Pics coming soon.

Holy shit a jacket not as cool as this one and appears to have been worn sold for 1800 bucks on ebay! I dont like it that much LOL!! To the bay it goes.

Pics! I swear, you find the coolest stuff...

For me: another Hickey Freeman Loro Piana suit + a Southwick navy linen blazer + a summery tan Southwick suit. All for trade or b&s, unfortunately. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. amadar

amadar Senior member

Really good day today relative to time spent thrifting. On my lunch break, I ran into the GW to see if a pair of shoes were there that I had left on Sat.....researched, and found were well worth the few bucks to pick up. Still there! [​IMG] They are Barrett made in Italy for Wilkes Bashford brown loafers....look to have been worn maybe once (if at all). Not my size so they will be flipped. [​IMG] Content with my score, and about to rush out (seeing as I picked the place apart to no avail on Sat) I notice a rack of about 10 mint shirts all in my size (obviously part of one donation that just came in) I quickly tried on about 7 of them, and kept a NWT Zanella, NWOT Tailorbyrd?, and NWOT Paul & Shark? Never heard of the last 2, but the quality was amazing (especially the Paul and Shark - super thick MOP buttons, nice trim fit, amazing feel) Left a bunch of once or twice worn Robert Talbott staple solid blue and white shirts as they were all a tad too generously cut. I got out of there in about 10 minutes, makes me wonder what else was in that donation that I didn't have time to look for.......[​IMG]

15. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Really good day today relative to time spent thrifting. On my lunch break, I ran into the GW to see if a pair of shoes were there that I had left on Sat.....researched, and found were well worth the few bucks to pick up. Still there! [​IMG] They are Barrett made in Italy for Wilkes Bashford brown loafers....look to have been worn maybe once (if at all). Not my size so they will be flipped.

[​IMG]

Content with my score, and about to rush out (seeing as I picked the place apart to no avail on Sat) I notice a rack of about 10 mint shirts all in my size (obviously part of one donation that just came in) I quickly tried on about 7 of them, and kept a NWT Zanella, NWOT Tailorbyrd?, and NWOT Paul & Shark? Never heard of the last 2, but the quality was amazing (especially the Paul and Shark - super thick MOP buttons, nice trim fit, amazing feel) Left a bunch of once or twice worn Robert Talbott staple solid blue and white shirts as they were all a tad too generously cut.

I got out of there in about 10 minutes, makes me wonder what else was in that donation that I didn't have time to look for.......[​IMG]

what size are the shoes? what size are you?

16. acl1

acl1 Senior member

last tailorbyrds i handled were terrible, but they were the same ones offered on ruelala. paul and shark is pretty good quality though; they have really good technical knit an outerwear, with some special water-repellant patented technology, (like 20000 or some strange name like that).

17. amadar

amadar Senior member

^^^the shoes are tagged 9.5 (not sure if this is italian or u.s. sizing)....i'm a 13 so a definite no go [​IMG] The shirts are all 16/35 and will be kept as they fit perfectly.

18. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

^^^the shoes are tagged 9.5 (not sure if this is italian or u.s. sizing)....i'm a 13 so a definite no go [​IMG] The shirts are all 16/35 and will be kept as they fit perfectly.

yea im a 13D. I NEVER find shoes, then one day sitting right next to each other i found a pair of church's custom grades (look like AE strands in chili) and burgandy alden shell cordovan cap toes, so dont give up! LOL

19. amadar

amadar Senior member

yea im a 13D. I NEVER find shoes, then one day sitting right next to each other i found a pair of church's custom grades (look like AE strands in chili) and burgandy alden shell cordovan cap toes, so dont give up! LOL
    Ah I feel your big-footed pain [​IMG] When I look for shoes in thrifts its with the mindset that I will use the flipping profits so find a deal on some 13's off of the bay or b&s........those are excellent finds you made, the best I've come across in our size has been some mint ferragamo mainline monkstraps. EDIT: Same number of posts, same shoe size.........creepy

20. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Ah I feel your big-footed pain [​IMG] When I look for shoes in thrifts its with the mindset that I will use the flipping profits so find a deal on some 13's off of the bay or b&s........those are excellent finds you made, the best I've come across in our size has been some mint ferragamo mainline monkstraps.

EDIT: Same number of posts, same shoe size.........creepy

i don't have anything useful to add, just wanted to match your postcount....carry on

Pics of the Loro Piana coat and C&J Polo shoes uploading to photobucket now BRB!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.