• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versace Suit Lines - Couture/Versus/Collection

italia55

Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering if the experts here could point me in the right direction with Versace suits. Recently, I have become enamored with the fit of Versace Suits (And similarly Gucci and some Prada) and style in comparison to my more traditional and baggier Armani (Mostly Mani and one Le Collezioni) suits.

I am trying to put together a wardrobe of these Versace suits, but I have heard mixed reviews of the suits depending on the line that the suit has.

Does the general hierarchy of Versace suit quality go from their Versus/Istante line, to their Versace Classic Line, and finally the Gianni Versace Couture Line? Please see some jacket labels below to distinguish the suits I am talking about:

Versace Istante Versus Label: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220678171350

Versace Classic Label:
versace092810.jpg

5473_tag.jpg

Gianni Versace Couture Label:
392618209_tp.jpg

392618976_tp.jpg

I have just heard horrid things of the Classic Label, with the suits being fused, 100% cotton, not comparable to Zegna Su misura and Z-Zegna suits, Armani Black Label/Le Collezioni suits, etc. which makes me fearful to imagine the quality of the Istante Versus line. However, are the two labels that I provided of the Versace couture line actually the couture line that is so highly regarded? And should the Versace classic and istante versus line be avoided?

Icarus

Reaction score
Versace PoliticoRus couture is their most coveted label. It's purchasable by invite only, and only Putin has the invites.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Versace Classic V2 stopped being made in 2001 or so, quality was OK, but not great (pic1)

Versace Classic (the incarnation you posted in pic 2) was from '02-'07, quality declined a bit, nothing great

Istante (not pictured) stopped production in the late 90's, anything from that line is horribly dated now

Versus (not pictured) fused, no hand work, just a "fashion suit" good visual impact but not the quality aspect

Versace Couture (black and white label as you pictured in the last 2 pics) these incarnations are from 93-03 and were the best quality there was, but still not handmade or comparable to the best around

Versace Couture (recent labels, unpictured) are made by Zegna to couture standards, avg. retail on those suits are $3K and up.

If you want a hierarchal list, start from the bottom to the top and thats the order from best to worst. If you do a search, I have also once replied to a thread which had all the labels so you could see this as well.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
If you want a hierarchal list, start from the bottom to the top and thats the order from best to worst. If you do a search, I have also once replied to a thread which had all the labels so you could see this as well.
I searched for a thread like this the other day. Was a thread listing all the brand hierarchies?

italia55

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Versace Classic V2 stopped being made in 2001 or so, quality was OK, but not great (pic1)

Versace Classic (the incarnation you posted in pic 2) was from '02-'07, quality declined a bit, nothing great

Istante (not pictured) stopped production in the late 90's, anything from that line is horribly dated now

Versus (not pictured) fused, no hand work, just a "fashion suit" good visual impact but not the quality aspect

Versace Couture (black and white label as you pictured in the last 2 pics) these incarnations are from 93-03 and were the best quality there was, but still not handmade or comparable to the best around

Versace Couture (recent labels, unpictured) are made by Zegna to couture standards, avg. retail on those suits are $3K and up.

I tried searching your posts but could not find it, but the list you provided above helps me tremendously.

How do these compare to Mani/Le Collezioni/Black Label Armani suits? I am basically trying to get the Versace quality and fashion in my mind sort of how cars are ranked (IE, sedans go from Toyota Camry to Mercedes-Benz to Bentley/Rolls Royce). Would the VERSUS be comparable to those Mani suits going on eBay for $50-60? Le Collezioni to the Classic, and finally Versace Couture from 93-03 to the Black Label Armani suits? I assume that none of the suits that I have just mentioned would be on par with a suit/tuxedo from Brioni as well.

Thank you for all your help!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
I searched for a thread like this the other day. Was a thread listing all the brand hierarchies?

Originally Posted by italia55
I tried searching your posts but could not find it, but the list you provided above helps me tremendously.

How do these compare to Mani/Le Collezioni/Black Label Armani suits? I am basically trying to get the Versace quality and fashion in my mind sort of how cars are ranked (IE, sedans go from Toyota Camry to Mercedes-Benz to Bentley/Rolls Royce). Would the VERSUS be comparable to those Mani suits going on eBay for $50-60? Le Collezioni to the Classic, and finally Versace Couture from 93-03 to the Black Label Armani suits? I assume that none of the suits that I have just mentioned would be on par with a suit/tuxedo from Brioni as well.

Thank you for all your help!

Here is my reply in that thread that may help a little further.

laugh.gif
at the car analogies, but really, really roughly =

Current Gianni Versace Couture = Rolls Royce
Pre-2006 Gianni Versace Couture = S500
Versace Classic = Lexus
Versus (now or them) = Acura
Istante = Camry

lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads