• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian jean sizes vs. us jeans sizes

Chimes

Reaction score
First of all let me appologize for my complete ignorance on the subject and I know the fact that I'm a newbie makes it even worse. But Im having a lot of trouble figuring it out
confused.gif
According to some folks on Ebay, "a Euro size 34 would fit a US size 30". Â And others say "the tag says 33 but it fits like a US 32". Â So is it a 2 size jump? or 3? or 4? Thanks for your replies and I hope to become well aquainted with all of you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US jeans companies usually make their jeans with a waist size a lot looser than the stated size, to varying degrees. A pair of Paper Denim size 33 would easily accomodate a man with a 34, even a 35 waist (I have a 33 waist and buy the 33 jeans because I like a looser fit, but seriously, they would just fall yo my knees if I didn't wear a belt (not really cinched up) so that they rest on my hips.) Seven jeans are sort of the same way, just differently cut (a larger waist and more fitted thighs.) The GAP makes size 33 jeans that would fit an obese man. Italian and other European companies cut their jeans truer to size, and also for a physique more physical in Europe than in the US - thinner waist, hips, and thighs.

Lomezz

Reaction score
Chimes - if it's Diesel jeans you're interested in, then I am waist 32 in Levi's and for all other purposes, yet I wear either 30 (a little snug) or 31 (very comfortable) in Diesel. Hope this helps.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is why I wash my GAP jeans 3 times before I wear them, not because I have some sick germ phobia, but because being cotton, they shirk to the "˜correct' size after 3 washings, if not they fall to a rather uncomfortable stance.

Jon.

Brian SD

Reaction score
It is even worse for women's jeans. An American size 26 will have a 29 - 32" waist in measurement (discounting stretch, which is common).

Of course this has lots do with the fact that most jeans are low-rise these days.

VWpete

Reaction score
I think they size women's smaller (ie marked 26, but fit a 28-29) for psychological purposes... purely my own take on it

Zubberah

Reaction score
My true waist size is 32. My Levi's which fit perfectly are also 32. If I want to wear Italian labels like Versace or D&G I need to get size 36 (which i have). The French JP Gaultier (made in Morocco) is a mystery - I have a pair of 32 which fit well if baggy. Another pair of JPG 32s and I cannot even get them into my thigh.  In general for Italian jeans, I get two sizes up.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think they size women's smaller (ie marked 26, but fit a 28-29) for psychological purposes... purely my own take on it
I think you're right, but I think that men's jeans makers are starting to follow suit on this. However, as I said before, it may be related to the low-rise fad.

Chimes

Reaction score
My true waist size is 32. My Levi's which fit perfectly are also 32. If I want to wear Italian labels like Versace or D&G I need to get size 36 (which i have). The French JP Gaultier (made in Morocco) is a mystery - I have a pair of 32 which fit well if baggy. Another pair of JPG 32s and I cannot even get them into my thigh. Â In general for Italian jeans, I get two sizes up.
sad.gif
Â
sad.gif
Â
sad.gif
Â
sad.gif
Â
sad.gif
This is the same problem Im running into on ebay. Â Some of you are saying Euro Jeans fit smaller than American, some of you are saying they fit much bigger. Â I've been seeing some great deals lately, but I cant figure out my size.

Classic

Reaction score
Exactly right, imageWIS.
The only way to insure that they fit, is to try them on. I have seen jeans which were labelled the same size and were the same brand and cut, but fit quite differently.
Today for example, I tried on a pair of Versace jeans that although were size 34, fit tighter than another pair that were size 32, which is my correct size.
Unless you enjoy returning items, best to try first.

Classic

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My two cents: In Levis 501/505 I fit into size 32 (or 31 depending on my latest food binge Â
biggrin.gif
 ).  In Paper Denim I take a 32, Diesels size 31, Evisu size 33, Atelier la Durance: 34 (bit more low cut, modelled after the original 49's and railroad worker's jeans), Denime: size 33. Oh, forgot my old Armani's, size 32

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italian pants aren't to the best of my knowledge sized off the wiast.

I know one of the local shops tries to tell me that there is a link but I think they just make up the US size. Last time she told me to wear them lower and then they'd fit.

A 46 should have a 92cm seat measurement. The waist will vary depending on the pattern.

loiclac

Reaction score
we are a report here in the UK saying that womens size for any clothes was varying a lot depending on the brand. less for the men but still.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads