• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
I think polo shirts are the epitome of bland. it's like the staple article of clothing for people who want to look "good" without putting in any effort.

You realize that most people on here wear a V neck and the same pair of jeans almost every day, right? How is that "putting in effort"?

Effort isn't always part of the equation. Sure, I think it's awesome when someone puts together a fit that really just works, but I'm certainly not there yet. ****, my fit is the epitome of lazy...I ripped it off a movie.
laugh.gif

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Binker
slim cut polos can be styled very cleanly. not everything needs to wow

TKJTG's would be much improved by losing the dbs, they look completely out of place. that fit works way better if you push it towards either the sporty with something like achilles lows or dressy with some nice lace-ups

I was actually thinking the same thing myself after I posted it about the DBs. I have a pair of Katahdin Iron Works boots coming in the mail and think they would work a lot better...not really sporty or dressy but I think they'd do better than the DBs.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
I was actually thinking the same thing myself after I posted it about the DBs. I have a pair of Katahdin Iron Works boots coming in the mail and think they would work a lot better...not really sporty or dressy but I think they'd do better than the DBs.

Work boots would be worse, I think. I like your fit except for shoes, you need sleek low tops in white (or maybe black, but white would be better), or sleek loafers (i.e. venetian style or neapolitan style or w/e they're called), or caramel laceups with no socks & matching belt.

I don't like polos on myself but there's nothing wrong with them, or with dressing lazily. Not everything needs to be put together consciously according to principles of design, or only wearing designers whose names are anagrams of each other, or something.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
if you're sitting here looking for all these top designer brands collections, and are nitpicking on which individual item to buy. Spending lots of time on each individual piece you plan to own, and later taking all of these items together, and allowing them to culminate into your outfit. I'd say that's vastly different than going to the mall and buying a couple of polos.
Aside from rereading your post five or six times and still not understanding most of it, why would you assume that he or anyone else here who wears polos a) buys in bulk or b) doesn't plan out their purchase?

Like it was pointed out, I could understand that about v-necks but polos can have greater connotations and uses.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
so wait. we need movies to come up with brown polo, white pants, brown boots combo? what movies will help me nail the fabled white tshirts, blue jeans fit?
Well what's the newest hipster-approved independent film?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry for my poorly constructed paragraphs, but what I mainly was hinting at where the types of people who just go to say, Express and buy polos in order to look "stylish" without being stylish whatsoever.

Polos to me are restricting because they look terrible when you put jackets over them. They hinder you from being able to layer interestingly. They pretty much are just its own bland existence. So, putting on a polo to me hinders your full potential at being stylish because they look terrible unless worn by themselves. At least to me.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo hate is one of the weirdest examples of SF groupthink I can think of. That and OMG (regular) GATs!

I would posit that it's at least partially because polos look bad on skinny dus. Also, because they're pretty bland (though the same could be said for solid colored OCBDs, etc.) and have negative associations (suburban dad/best buy salesman). However, like anything SF usually disagrees with (Pre-faded jeans, graphic tees) work it into something the right way and haters gon' hate.

Speaking of "things that look bad on [bodytype]" Crazyjew, if you're a shorty like me, buy yourself a cropped leather jacket instead of a blazer with your $400 gilt credit. Blazers are always gonna look kinda funny and gilt has a million leather jackets all the time.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Polo hate is one of the weirdest examples of SF groupthink I can think of. That and OMG (regular) GATs!

I would posit that it's because polos look bad on skinny dus. (Inveresely, this explains the popularity of 19cms).

Speaking of "things that look bad on [bodytype]" Crazyjew, if you're a shorty like me, buy yourself a cropped leather jacket instead of a blazer with your $400 gilt credit. Blazers are always gonna look kinda funny.

We're the same height and blazers look fine on me, you must have this much swag to wear.
Sike.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
We're the same height and blazers look fine on me, you must have this much swag to wear. Sike.
not errybody can afford junya
laugh.gif

Binker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
well theyre almost always worn badly and by people that really have no interest in fashion. but I agree that responding to that faction on SF seems to utterly miss the point, as presumably no one here is advocating that people go out and cop 10 RL polos in alternating colors on deep discount and wear a diff one everyday of the week I like polos on skinny dudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads