The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I think polo shirts are the epitome of bland. it's like the staple article of clothing for people who want to look "good" without putting in any effort.

You realize that most people on here wear a V neck and the same pair of jeans almost every day, right? How is that "putting in effort"?

Effort isn't always part of the equation. Sure, I think it's awesome when someone puts together a fit that really just works, but I'm certainly not there yet. Shit, my fit is the epitome of lazy...I ripped it off a movie. [​IMG]

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

slim cut polos can be styled very cleanly. not everything needs to wow

TKJTG's would be much improved by losing the dbs, they look completely out of place. that fit works way better if you push it towards either the sporty with something like achilles lows or dressy with some nice lace-ups

I was actually thinking the same thing myself after I posted it about the DBs. I have a pair of Katahdin Iron Works boots coming in the mail and think they would work a lot better...not really sporty or dressy but I think they'd do better than the DBs.

3. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

kinda boring (moreso than usual!) fit today:

[​IMG]

nsf
    lang
    cp

4. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

I was actually thinking the same thing myself after I posted it about the DBs. I have a pair of Katahdin Iron Works boots coming in the mail and think they would work a lot better...not really sporty or dressy but I think they'd do better than the DBs.

Work boots would be worse, I think. I like your fit except for shoes, you need sleek low tops in white (or maybe black, but white would be better), or sleek loafers (i.e. venetian style or neapolitan style or w/e they're called), or caramel laceups with no socks & matching belt.

I don't like polos on myself but there's nothing wrong with them, or with dressing lazily. Not everything needs to be put together consciously according to principles of design, or only wearing designers whose names are anagrams of each other, or something.

5. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Yeah, I figured you'd have a hard time understanding the whole "dressing without a hot topic flowchart" concept.

[​IMG]

6. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

so wait. we need movies to come up with brown polo, white pants, brown boots combo? what movies will help me nail the fabled white tshirts, blue jeans fit?

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

if you're sitting here looking for all these top designer brands collections, and are nitpicking on which individual item to buy. Spending lots of time on each individual piece you plan to own, and later taking all of these items together, and allowing them to culminate into your outfit. I'd say that's vastly different than going to the mall and buying a couple of polos.
    Aside from rereading your post five or six times and still not understanding most of it, why would you assume that he or anyone else here who wears polos a) buys in bulk or b) doesn't plan out their purchase?

Like it was pointed out, I could understand that about v-necks but polos can have greater connotations and uses.

8. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

so wait. we need movies to come up with brown polo, white pants, brown boots combo? what movies will help me nail the fabled white tshirts, blue jeans fit?
    Well what's the newest hipster-approved independent film?

9. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Mom, Edward from Twilight is hitting on me again.

10. Lane

Lane Senior member

sorry for my poorly constructed paragraphs, but what I mainly was hinting at where the types of people who just go to say, Express and buy polos in order to look "stylish" without being stylish whatsoever.

Polos to me are restricting because they look terrible when you put jackets over them. They hinder you from being able to layer interestingly. They pretty much are just its own bland existence. So, putting on a polo to me hinders your full potential at being stylish because they look terrible unless worn by themselves. At least to me.

11. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Mom, Edward from Twilight is hitting on me again.

you're like an old man who calls a playstation 3 "the nintendo"

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Polo hate is one of the weirdest examples of SF groupthink I can think of. That and OMG (regular) GATs!

I would posit that it's at least partially because polos look bad on skinny dus. Also, because they're pretty bland (though the same could be said for solid colored OCBDs, etc.) and have negative associations (suburban dad/best buy salesman). However, like anything SF usually disagrees with (Pre-faded jeans, graphic tees) work it into something the right way and haters gon' hate.

Speaking of "things that look bad on [bodytype]" Crazyjew, if you're a shorty like me, buy yourself a cropped leather jacket instead of a blazer with your $400 gilt credit. Blazers are always gonna look kinda funny and gilt has a million leather jackets all the time.

13. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

Polo hate is one of the weirdest examples of SF groupthink I can think of. That and OMG (regular) GATs!

I would posit that it's because polos look bad on skinny dus. (Inveresely, this explains the popularity of 19cms).

Speaking of "things that look bad on [bodytype]" Crazyjew, if you're a shorty like me, buy yourself a cropped leather jacket instead of a blazer with your $400 gilt credit. Blazers are always gonna look kinda funny.

We're the same height and blazers look fine on me, you must have this much swag to wear.
    Sike.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

We're the same height and blazers look fine on me, you must have this much swag to wear. Sike.
    not errybody can afford junya [​IMG]

15. Binker

Binker Senior member

well theyre almost always worn badly and by people that really have no interest in fashion. but I agree that responding to that faction on SF seems to utterly miss the point, as presumably no one here is advocating that people go out and cop 10 RL polos in alternating colors on deep discount and wear a diff one everyday of the week I like polos on skinny dudes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.