• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking to buy a watch budget is 3k

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy used. Most used watches you get from collectors are in like new condition. The place to go is the buy/sell forum at timezone.com.

economiayocio

Reaction score
Omega Speedmaster is a great option.

Also, some IWC Pilot watch is good.

You can also buy a Dornblüth if you have time, is a great option.

Zenith has presented some astonishing dress watches at great prices. I like these 2:

Zenith-Elite-Captain.jpg

ZE_Zenith_Ultra-Thin_03-2010-681-01-C493.jpg

marco_rol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Buy used. Most used watches you get from collectors are in like new condition. The place to go is the buy/sell forum at timezone.com.

+1

You'll typically save anywhere from 20-50% depending on the brand if you buy a used in excellent condition with the box and papers.

After you wear a new watch for a week or so, it will typically look about what you just got used anyway.

Bandit44

Reaction score
Lots of choices at 3k or below. Brands that I would look at include Hamilton, Seiko, Ball, Longiness, Oris, Sinn, and Omega. The Omega Aqua Terra is a great suggestion. The old model comes in three sizes to fit a variety of wrists; I believe the updated model does as well. Goes with a suit or jeans and t-shirt.

I have the 42mm model and my wrist is 7 3/4 inches. Here's what mines looks like.

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3K is tough bracket for finding something great in new condition. for 3K you can find a nice pre-owned Rolex sub nodate which is one of my favorite watches. I love chronographs as well, but not a huge fan of the speedy. it doesn't provide much water resistance which I would prefer in a sporty watch on a bracelet. if you could add 1K to your budget, you're just in range of a new JLC which is probably your best bang for you buck in the watch industry.
my advice is to either save up for something better or get something for much less from an independent brand (stowa, nomos).

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the older aqua terra model is a great looking watch as well. it's just harder to find one these days. I loved the model with a blue face.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not buy a Rolex Air King, as one poster suggested without reading Walt Odets' review of the Rolex Explorer on TZ. It set off the standard Rolex war, but with the detailed photographs and Walt's tremendous reputation for disassembly and the ability to do work on his own watches (His Ingenier movement to his Platnum Mark XII with the creation of a display back is outstanding work).

Walt bowed out of the spotlight after the Rolex Explorer war, but it doesn't mean he was wrong. It means that he didn't enjoy the personal attacks on his objective work.

marco_rol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
When faced with an incredibly generic and vague question that resurfaces again and again from new members what is the appropriate response? Read through the thread, read up on and learn about the watches you find appealing, and at that point ask more specific questions that forum members who are knowledgable about watches can answer. Then again, people on here don't know anything about watches so don't bother.

+1 Agreed. You need to do some homework on your own first in order to i) narrow down your choices and ii) ask more specific questions. Recommendations at this point (even for some great watches which others have suggested) is mostly useless at this point. Do yo want it to wear with suits? Casual wear? Complications you like (day, date, chronograph, etc.)? Telling you to get an IWC, or Omega, or Rolex or blah blah blah at this point without knowing more about how you will use/wear the watch and what your style preferences are is a waste of time at this point in my IMHO.

That said, I still think buying used no matter the ultimate choice is your best bang for the buck.

Alan B.

Reaction score
You can wear one general purpose watch. I find Rolex to be an excellent choice due to its ruggedness and classic styling for most models. I've worn my GMT Master almost daily since 1982. Yes, 1982 and it keeps great time w/ regular servicing. Up your budget to 5k and some good choices are available. Otherwise, buy something under $500. There is very little in between these price points.

JonF

Reaction score
I agree! The Speedmaster and 3717 are two of my favorites. In fact... I have two speedy's. I wouldn't consider them very gimmicky or fratboyish at all.
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
ignore the attitude, this is good advice

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seandell16
Hi I'm looking for an everyday watch black leather, or stainless steel with an automatic movement and date. I'm open to any suggestions this will be my first watch purchase.

With those requirements (3k, everyday watch, steel, black leather, automatic + date) I would look for a used one of these - but then I'm pretty biased
wink.gif

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Omega Speedmaster Date (moon watch is nice, but more expensive, no date and manual-wind, OP wanted date and auto)

IWC Mk XVI (same movement as the Portofino but a bit more rugged looking and has screw-in crown)

Baume Mercier Capeland (a little dressier and less rugged, but if you can still find them, I'm sure you can get a great deal)

Rolex Datejust (if you can find a NOS old-style, pre-2004, still at a dealer, I'm sure they'll make you a good deal)

Find the right AD and you can get any of these BNIB for under $3k.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
The best watch you can buy for $3k is the Omega Speedmaster. Period.

This is probably true.

Originally Posted by bleachboy

Originally Posted by marco_rol
You'll typically save anywhere from 20-50% depending on the brand if you buy a used in excellent condition with the box and papers.

After you wear a new watch for a week or so, it will typically look about what you just got used anyway.

+7

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads