• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking to buy a watch budget is 3k

atila

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
I know a lot of people in here prefer mechanical watches with lots of dials and such, but here's the watch I use:
http://citizen.jp/stiletto/lineup/spec/665191.html

Simple (only one dial), solar (never needs a new battery), and super-sleek (only a few millimeters thick). It's only $350 or so (less than that when I bought it), but then you could spend the rest of your money on a bespoke suit or something.
smile.gif

fyi citizen eco drives have a battery inside them and they typically need to be changed every 8 years or so. they cost about $60-90 depending who you get it from. the older the watch gets the more susceptible the eco drive is to dying without enough light exposure.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
The best watch you can buy for $3k is the Omega Speedmaster. Period. Unless you're open to pre-owned watches, then you would have a lot more options.

+1 or the Seamaster. Good watches for the price IMO.

Tuesday

Reaction score
Ignore the Rolex guys. They do weird stuff like foam at the mouth and swear up and down that a chunky dive watch is a dress watch if it has a crown on the dial.

I'm guessing you want a nice, versatile watch that you can wear for years, confident that people who recognize it will appreciate that you're not wearing some digital plastic wart on your wrist. You have $3K to spend. Not $5K, not $1K today and $8K next week. Since it's one watch to rule them all, it should be able to work with jeans as well as a suit.

Finally, I gather that you're not a watch collector and don't intend to be any time soon.

I agree with the others here who have suggested you go with one of the IWC pilots watches or the Omega Aqua Terra. You can find either one used, they're fairly subtle, and they have enough brand cache that you can easily unload them for close to what you paid (provided you bought it used or at a good discount). I'd love to be able to recommend a UN 1846 Marine Chronometer, but I would be very leery of one that wasn't under warranty.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 Don't bother spending all that dough on a new watch. That's what everyone else is doing. Be an individual for ****'s sake. Get a good working condition vintage watch from a reputable maker (my personal favorite is CYMA, and not the new Chinese version) from the 50's or 60's for $100, look way more ******* badass than all the poseurs, and go get a suit or go on vacation with the rest of the money. Cyma made killer movements back in the day, and it's a brand that totally flies under the radar. Back in the 50's Cymas would sell in the $350 range new. By comparison a Rolex cost around $450. These are excellent watches.
Originally Posted by dasai
I know a lot of people in here prefer mechanical watches with lots of dials and such, but here's the watch I use: http://citizen.jp/stiletto/lineup/spec/665191.html Simple (only one dial), solar (never needs a new battery), and super-sleek (only a few millimeters thick). It's only $350 or so (less than that when I bought it), but then you could spend the rest of your money on a bespoke suit or something.
smile.gif

Tuesday

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
+1

Don't bother spending all that dough on a new watch. That's what everyone else is doing. Be an individual for ****'s sake. Get a good working condition vintage watch from a reputable maker (my personal favorite is CYMA, and not the new Chinese version) from the 50's or 60's for $100, look way more ******* badass than all the poseurs, and go get a suit or go on vacation with the rest of the money.

Cyma made killer movements back in the day, and it's a brand that totally flies under the radar. Back in the 50's Cymas would sell in the $350 range new. By comparison a Rolex cost around $450. These are excellent watches.

Don't do what everyone else is doing, do what I'm doing!

I do agree that older Cymas can be nice, but there are a lot of pieces of junk out there that will cost more to refurbish than they're worth. They are also often very small. That doesn't bother me much, but it's an issue for some.

Why tell the guy not to buy a good watch? He wants a decent watch. There are far worse things, like heroin and syphilitic hookers.

Chillax

Reaction score
An everyday first watch? Buy a decent looking Fossil and invest the other $2900 in something like depressed real estate. Seriously.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chillax
An everyday first watch? Buy a decent looking Fossil and invest the other $2900 in something like depressed real estate. Seriously.

Fossil? Come on man, let's not be too crazy here.

Frihed89

Reaction score
For newer watches, I'd look at older companies that have been bought up by Giants, like Swatch, and are making a comeback, such as Longines, or some of the classic Longines models. I'd also look around at German manufacturers, who are generally cheaper than the Swiss and perhaps a bit on the clunky side, but very well made. Such a company is Sinn.

You can get a really nicely made, good looking and well-functioning watch for under $3,000 US. Otherwise the next step is another digit up.

Diving watches are not for everyone.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuesday
Don't do what everyone else is doing, do what I'm doing!
+ 1000 Cymas are excellent watches. I never told him to buy a *************. If he can't identify a good watch from a bad watch then that's his problem. I don't understand why someone would spend $3000 on a sparkly new watch. My personal preference is for a watch with a patina, marks, nicks, a history. Like an obscure fine wine, not the latest infused vodka.

mrbig

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here:

Omega Planet Ocean (My next purchase)
no Speedmaster Professional (there's no date, and there's no automatic - UNLESS you get the Co-Axial version)
Pre-Owned Rolex Datejust
IWC
Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso

If you need something classic, and dressy - Datejust, Planet Ocean, pre-owned Rolex Submariner or a JLC Reverso will serve you forever.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Another option would be a Grand Carrerra from Tag Heuer. not much popularity on here, but a 2892 chronomoter grade movement.

jbresler

Reaction score
You can find a very nice second hand Breguet Type XX for ~$3000, maybe slightly more. You have the movement (Lemania), the history (google it if you don't know) and the versatility. Plus, if you care about that kind of thing, you have the panache that very few marques, especially the more mainstream brands, lack.

negusnegas

Reaction score
+1 on Breguet...followed closely by IWC Pilots (3717)...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend used as long as you have a reliable source. Go to this site http://www.pduggan.com/

Paul Duggan is a well established no BS firm. I bought my wife's Cartier from them. You will see many nice used Rolex and Omegas for your budget (as well as some other premium watches). Omega Speedster for $1,500, nice SS rolexes for $2K, etc. If you have the time, sign up for their emails and then be ready to jump as soon you see the right one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads