• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers 50% Discount

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Factor Xll
wouldn't the cost of the date, which assume you would be taking care of since you asked her out, offset the savings?

unless you are getting a bonus deal with the deal...

Maybe he has also made a deal with the waiter to save a few dollars. Slips him a hundy and gets a $300 meal for half price?

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
You ******* idiots. Be my guest and pay full price on everything you buy. I try to get the most bang for the buck in everything I get.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
It's wrong, and many stores consider this as grounds for termination.
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Yea I definitely wouldnt risk my job for a stranger just to make a hundred dollars. Im sure if he really wanted $100 and had no morals he could just buy a $400 pair of shoes at %50 off then sell them on Craigslist/ebay for $300. Seems like it would be a hell of a lot easier than raising all kinds of red flags by dropping $1000 on stuff he never usually buys.
Maybe he has also made a deal with the waiter to save a few dollars. Slips him a hundy and gets a $300 meal for half price?
You guys should read that article about the guy who went around bribing maÃ
00ae.png
tre d’s for tables at swanky restaurants. Conclusion? The took the bribe every time. As we learned the BB employees aren't rolling in cash, so I suspect you'd have a decent chance at this. I imagine it being very similar to buying things through people I know who work at Guitar Center (exact same policy, you get everything at cost and it is only for yourself and they will fire you for buying to resell, and they know you don't make a lot), and I've done that a few times with no issues.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
You ******* idiots. Be my guest and pay full price on everything you buy. I try to get the most bang for the buck in everything I get.

Yea I bet everywhere you go employees know you as that stingy guy who always tries to cheap out when buying everything. They probably talk **** on you as soon as your out of earshot.

If you cant afford it, just dont buy it.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I bet everywhere you go employees know you as that stingy guy who always tries to cheap out when buying everything. They probably talk **** on you as soon as your out of earshot.

If you cant afford it, just dont buy it.

This..

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
You ******* idiots.

Seriously? This is rich. A lawyer wants to put a BB employee at risk of losing his/her job so he can save a couple hundred bucks. Loser.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Seriously? This is rich. A lawyer wants to put a BB employee at risk of losing his/her job so he can save a couple hundred bucks. Loser.

Sadly this is pretty par for the course for lawyers.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OP is probably gonna come back and swear at us a few more times, then eventually give up and sign up for a new account.

yes, he's a troll

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having grown up in the city and coming from a family where my mother had 12 brothers and sisters, I had a lot of cousins (I mean a lot) that worked in department stores around the city (Saks, RL Mansion, Bloomingdales) in high school, college, and for a few years post-college.

What was common at the time was to kind of trade the discount at your place of employment with someone from another store that you wanted to buy something at. So if there was someone who worked at Puma or Timberland, for instance, and he wanted to get something on a discount at Ambercrombie, he would just walk into the store, select an employee, and strike up a conversation which would usually lead to that guy/girl purchasing items at their store using the employee discount and then returning the favor at his store - I mean, most women love a pair of speedcats at 50% off.

I have literally walked into Saks with someone and seen them strike up this kind of quid pro quo with an absolute stranger working one of the cosmetic kiosks. If I was there and was introduced, the discount extended to me. What I would then have do is walk in to the store, say hello to the employee - shoot the breeze for a little bit, tell them I was looking to pick up some stuff, and they would usually say something like pick out what you want and bring it back. Or pick out what you want and place it on hold upstairs under the employee's name. Sometimes they would tell me to wait until the discount was doubled for employees (they call it the double dip). Back then, I would pick out jeans or other silliness and bring it back down to the employee. The supervisor would sign something and then the items would go off somewhere, i guess the employee window where it needed to be paid for (in cash), and then it would come back in a bag with a receipt. I honestly dont recall anyone being very secretive about it - but it was long time ago and I was really concerned because no one seemed to think too much of it.

That being said, these were really small ticket items - things jeans and t-shirts and such. One of the last times that I went to Saks (going on 10 years ago), I picked up a few Charvet shirts, reduced to $150 with the employee 40-50% off on top. It didnt trigger any alarms and I just had the shirts held under the person's name - they went up and picked up the items during their lunch break.

Perhaps the policy varies at different places, or is more restricted at higher-end luxury retailers?

I hope this doesnt sound too sleazy - - but I really haven't done this in like 8-10 years since I've been gainfully employed. . . . well, except at FootLocker - I cannot rid myself of my Nike footwear obsession but realize $150 for a pair of Bo Jackson cross-trainers or Air Hibachis made in Taiwan or Macau is basically absurd.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

He didn't say he was a lawyer, he said he has a law degree. What likely happened is he graduated from the Thomas Cooley School of Law and now can't find a job because he has been unable to pass the bar in any jurisdiction.

detroiter

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with this. I used to bang a slightly overweight girl back in college so she would let me use her nordstrom discount. Banged a really ******** when I was 18 cause she worked at the liquor store and would give me free cases of beer and multiple bottles of liquor. I used to flirt with the girl at the godiva store, when I worked at a dell kiosk in the mall during college, because they would throw the chocolate covered strawberries out at the end of the day, and she would give them to me instead. I love getting cheap ****, and or free ****, and see nothing wrong with flirting and or banging to get it. I am not an attorney though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads