• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brooks Brothers 50% Discount

Richard Pryor

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
337
Reaction score
4
I was at the store today. Wanted to try on the Cordovan loafers ($600) and I asked the lady that was helping me when was the next sale coming up. She told me that probably in December, but that most sales don't apply to cordovan. Then I asked her how much of a discount the employees get, and she told me 50%! Conversation when more or less like this.

- 50%?! Does that include cordovan shoes?
- Yes. Why, you want to work here (smiles)?
- Its an option. Or I could buy you dinner and we could talk about some sort of arrangement.
- Dinner would be nice, but if I were to buy $600 shoes they would probably know they were not for me, since I could not afford them. A couple of shirts they don't mind, but I'm not that sure about the cordovan shoes.

After a while, I took her card and told her I would get in touch with her.

This sounds like a great idea, doesn't it? Maybe not with her (she's a female), but I could give a male employee $100 so he can buy $2000 worth of clothes, with 50% discount, around Christmas time with the excuse that he's buying gifts with his paycheck.

Thoughts?
 

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
33,529
Reaction score
12,060
Post pics of saleswoman so we can determine whether the shoes are worth the date.
 

The Silverfox

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2010
Messages
393
Reaction score
110
The first great idea that springs to my mind is taking her out to dinner, she sounded quite keen. Was she cute? Brooks brothers usually go for nice decor, which often translates into nice looking employees.

To get back to the topic though, yeah that does sound like a good plan. The ideal would of course be to find a guy who's roughly your size and of questionable moral standards, and you could shop at 50% off, regardless of the time of year. All he has to do is invent a story about either comming into some money. He could also pretend to be shopping for a family member. They'd get pissed if they knew you were buying things through him, things you'd be buying anyway, but if he invents a story about an uncle who's allways appreciated clothes but whos eyesight is gone or something so he can't shop form himself...
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
425
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
I was at the store today. Wanted to try on the Cordovan loafers ($600) and I asked the lady that was helping me when was the next sale coming up. She told me that probably in December, but that most sales don't apply to cordovan. Then I asked her how much of a discount the employees get, and she told me 50%! Conversation when more or less like this.

- 50%?! Does that include cordovan shoes?
- Yes. Why, you want to work here (smiles)?
- Its an option. Or I could buy you dinner and we could talk about some sort of arrangement.
- Dinner would be nice, but if I were to buy $600 shoes they would probably know they were not for me, since I could not afford them. A couple of shirts they don't mind, but I'm not that sure about the cordovan shoes.

After a while, I took her card and told her I would get in touch with her.

This sounds like a great idea, doesn't it? Maybe not with her (she's a female), but I could give a male employee $100 so he can buy $2000 worth of clothes, with 50% discount, around Christmas time with the excuse that he's buying gifts with his paycheck.

Thoughts?

It's wrong, and many stores consider this as grounds for termination.
 

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2010
Messages
1,136
Reaction score
512
Yea I definitely wouldnt risk my job for a stranger just to make a hundred dollars. Im sure if he really wanted $100 and had no morals he could just buy a $400 pair of shoes at %50 off then sell them on Craigslist/ebay for $300. Seems like it would be a hell of a lot easier than raising all kinds of red flags by dropping $1000 on stuff he never usually buys.
 

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,383
Reaction score
8
Agreed it sounds like a good idea on paper, but I really don't think any random Sales rep is going to seriously risk his job for $100.. Stick to taking this girl on a date if she was cute. Better chances there
 

Richard Pryor

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
337
Reaction score
4
Ok, then, how easy is it to get a job at BB? I have a law degree. Am I overqualified?
 

butterflystyle

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
384
Reaction score
2
There is a super cute clerk at the Michigan Ave. Brooks Brothers I might have to try this line on.
 

butterflystyle

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
384
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
Ok, then, how easy is it to get a job at BB? I have a law degree. Am I overqualified?

A)I suspect flame

B)Why not just work as a lawyer and buy unlimited cordovan shoes?
 

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
33,529
Reaction score
12,060
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
B)Why not just work as a lawyer and buy unlimited cordovan shoes?

The law field is ridiculously over-saturated right now. He would probably be lucky to get a job in retail sales.
 

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
5,443
Reaction score
2,189
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Agreed it sounds like a good idea on paper, but I really don't think any random Sales rep is going to seriously risk his job for $100.. Stick to taking this girl on a date if she was cute. Better chances there

Or get married and then you'll get the discount too. Or get a job at BB and I'll give you a C-note...
 

Factor Xll

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
131
Reaction score
7
wouldn't the cost of the date, which assume you would be taking care of since you asked her out, offset the savings?

unless you are getting a bonus deal with the deal...
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,830
Messages
9,459,861
Members
198,249
Latest member
jalake0817
Top