• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Wow, nice haul! I'd love to see pics! I managed to grab a 100% Cashmere Canali jacket today. Also found a beautiful charcoal flannel (fawnskin) 3 button Oxxford suit. As usual, the trousers were separated, but as luck would have it I managed to find them.

My question is, does Canali make pure cashmere suits? The jacket I found is a gray with white pinstripes. I thought it was a orphan at first, until I saw it was 100% cashmere. AFAIK, only a few super high-end makers do 100% cashmere suits (Attolini, Kiton, etc), so I grabbed it on the off chance that my hunch was right and perhaps this was indeed just a jacket.

Was it more like a worsted fabric like you would see on a suit, or more like a fuzzy cashmere?
I have a Kiton cashmere suit that is like super soft worsted wool.

Canali and Zileri both make SC's that are striped.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Also at Seattle I found this canvased Nordstrom Classics Jacket, in a 52/48% Glen Plaid silk and wool fabric by E.Thomas, 44R.

Wow, very nice and the Brioni shirt can be paired with it nicely.

Deep navy with a golden square.

1/2 off $8

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
That's what this feels like. Really soft wool. It's Loro Piana Cashmere, but doesn't have a model name specified.

if its Loro Cashmere i think its a sport coat

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of pairs of BNWOT Purdey wool pants I picked up recently for the fall:

sam0967.jpg

I was only thinking last week that I've never thrifted any Drakes ties, then what turns up?

sam0971n.jpg

Finally, this little vintage beauty - a bit rough around the edges, but too nice to leave behind.

sam0973c.jpg

sam0974o.jpg

I also picked up a vintage Gorsart New York full-canvassed 'hand tailored' suit, but it was $100 and having tried it on at home it's a bit too short so it's probably going back.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely have luck at the thrift store, but today I found two nice Samuelsohn suits (one blue flannel chalkstripe three piece, the other a charcoal in pinstripe) and a beautiful Canali medium gray suit. Alas, they are all just small enough (42L) to mock my girth and as such will all end up on B&S forum in the near future.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC

I also picked up a vintage Gorsart New York full-canvassed 'hand tailored' suit, but it was $100 and having tried it on at home it's a bit too short so it's probably going back.

Love the ducks

Temujin

Reaction score
Found a Southwick SC today, and also a thick cashmere PRL SC.

Returningson

Reaction score

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
I was only thinking last week that I've never thrifted any Drakes ties, then what turns up?

I will absolutely pay you for those if you are selling. Please PM me if you are.

illeagle

Reaction score
of note, picked up:

Domenico Vacca thick 100% cashmere sweater $3
Giorgio Armani Le Collezioni double-breasted lambskin coat fully lined with shearling $30
Incotex grey wool herringbone trousers $8

passed on:

Oxxford orphan jacket $12 - couldn't find the pants
Banana Republic wool topcoat (a fall 2009 model) for $24 - little too small
Brioni shirt $8 - missing a button, loose thread
Orvis cotton jacket with suede details $25 - really nice coat, but I already have 2 lightweight coats

le Dauphin

Reaction score
Picked up a few things today...

ties-1.jpg

2 Yves Saint Laurent wool ties and 1 unmarked tie
$1.50 each

shoes-4.jpg

Gorgio Brutini. I still don't know much about shoes (or therefore the quality of this brand), but I liked the look of these and the fact that they shouldn't need too much TLC.
$5.99

coatdetail.jpg

coatfull.jpg

London Fog overcoat with thick removable lining
$20.00

corddetail.jpg

Corduroy sport coat.
$7.99
Didn't get a full pic for some reason. What can be worn with this color cord jacket? khaki chinos seem like they would be too close to the same color. Jeans and an OCBD I guess?

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics